Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi

Just rented a movie on ipad3 and mirrored onto Apple TV to play it on my new Samsung series7 LED TV.

However I got the "display is not authorised to play this content"

I resorted to the Hdmi cable and it played fine????

Also content plays fine over mirroring with my MacBook Pro

What the heck is going on with the ipad mirroring?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hi

Just rented a movie on ipad3 and mirrored onto Apple TV to play it on my new Samsung series7 LED TV.

You're not supposed to mirror it, you're supposed to use the ATV button when playing a movie file. Works differently.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi

I think SpyGuy meant by "ATV BUtton" is actually the Airplay icon. If you start playing the video in Vidoes, there should be an Airplay icon. If you select that icon, it should show your AppleTV on your network and you should be able to route the video via Airplay (and not airplay mirroring). Best part about using Airplay instead of Airplay Mirroring, is that you won't have the black borders that you get from mirroring a 4:3 screen (iPad) onto a 16:9 screen (your HDTV).

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi

Thanks for the advice.

When I played the film it gave me airplay icon but only played the sound over the tv.

I had to double clock home button and choose the airplay icon from the multitask option when you slide left

Any ideas?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Now I am super confused.
If you rented it from iTunes, why not just watch it directly from AppleTV?
Aren't they both on the same account?

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
We rented to watch while on a train. We ended up not watching on train on ipad so tried to do it over AirPlay when at home

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
where did you rent it from?

the itunes store should just send the file over airplay.

other places might cause you to have to use mirroring.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Rented from iTunes on the ipad.
So pressing the airplay button while the movie played on ipad only transferred sound

Double clicking home to scroll to the music shortcut and pressing the mirroring option brought the error message

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Rented from iTunes on the ipad.
So pressing the airplay button while the movie played on ipad only transferred sound

Double clicking home to scroll to the music shortcut and pressing the mirroring option brought the error message

I was just searching this topic as I was about to start a thread of my own. I had this EXACT same issue this weekend, and experienced it once, for the first time, over a month ago.

One difference, perhaps, is that when I would get the error message after selecting mirroring, it would play the audio AND video on my ATV. But if I dismissed the modal dialog box, it would stop airplaying all together. So, I could airplay the movie this way, but had no FF/REW/PAUSE controls.

Here's my experience:

Rented Zero Dark Thirty on my iPad mini, and started watching on same.
Kids finished their movie on "the big TV" -- now it's Dad's turn.
Switched TV input to ATV3, tapped Airplay icon in Video app and selected ATV. Only audio. (Hmmm, do I need to mirror?)
Double clicked Home button, slide to right, tap Airplay icon, select ATV & Mirror "On".
Movie appears on screen, modal dialog box error msg appears on iPad.
If I leave as is, I get to watch my movie on the TV, though with no controls. If I dismiss dialog, it turns off.

Regards,
Tom

mr.tolgao

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
Hi

I also get this error sometimes when I try to Airplay rental iTunes movie on my iPad to my Apple TV. It only works when I restart my Apple TV either by unplugging for few minutes or from Apple TV Settings Menu.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I also get this error sometimes when I try to Airplay rental iTunes movie on my iPad to my Apple TV. It only works when I restart my Apple TV either by unplugging for few minutes or from Apple TV Settings Menu.

Not sure why it didn't occur to me to restart the ATV. Will try to remember next time, and see if it helps. Thanks!

To OP: did you ever get this figured out?

Regards
Tom

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
I had this same problem. The reason you can't airplay the video is because DRM restrictions on certain movies. So for some movies, you can rent on your ipad and then airplay it effortlessly to your apple tv, but for other movies it will only stream audio to the apple tv OR crash your Videos app because the movie makers actively disabled airplay streaming.

It's super frustrating. I think one of the reasons they do this is to prevent you from streaming lower budget movies to a wider audience. Because of this you should always rent from your apple tv if possible. If you do it through your ipad because you want the extra portability, just keep in mind that there's a chance you can't watch it on any other device.

IMO all of this should be moot - we should be able to play any video that we purchase/rent on any device that we own, albeit only at one time. Some day...

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
Im puzzled, is it not possible to play the rental directly from the ATV?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Im puzzled, is it not possible to play the rental directly from the ATV?

I'm puzzled, is it not possible to read the thread and see that this exact point was brought up and answered earlier?

Regards,
Tom

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I'm puzzled, is it not possible to read the thread and see that this exact point was brought up and answered earlier?

Regards,
Tom

Wow what snark. No need to be rude. I think he's asking why you don't watch it from the TV as opposed to Airplay-ing it. Which was not answered in any of the posts, and is a valid question. The answer, WZZ, is (from Apple):

"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV (1st generation), iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4 or later, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time.
If you download a rented movie on your iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV: It is not transferable to any other device or computer."

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
Wow what snark. No need to be rude. I think he's asking why you don't watch it from the TV as opposed to Airplay-ing it. Which was not answered in any of the posts, and is a valid question. The answer, WZZ, is (from Apple):

"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV (1st generation), iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4 or later, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time.
If you download a rented movie on your iPhone 4 or later, iPad, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV: It is not transferable to any other device or computer."

that is the correct answer. =)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Wow what snark. No need to be rude.

Aw cr@p, yeah, I think I totally misread that post. My sincerest apologies to wzz. I thought he (and Zimmy68 before him) were snarkily asking why the OP didn't just rent the movie on the ATV originally (not very helpful suggestion, and somewhat annoying on repeat). But now I think they were asking why one can't play their rented content anywhere (a totally valid question, that indeed had not yet been answered, and nothing snarky about it).

Again, my apologies!

Regards,
Tom

wzz

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
it's okay. No harm done :)

I actually never rented anything.
The only thing i came close to rental was when I redeemed a Starbucks rental movie. I redeemed it via iTunes [on my MacBook Air]

I didnt' actually move it to an iPad, but I remember I had the rental appear on my Apple TV(2) and I just played it from there.

Now I actually know that it can't be done. Thanks :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Didn't the question get answered already - when you mirror it won't work - you have to hit the AirPlay button on the video itself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.