Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I was very surprised when Apple released the Touch 5. Such a big step from the 4th gen and it's a fantastic mobile device. More of a tablet that a MP3 player.

I heard that back in October over 3m new iTouch 5 devices were sold in just a few weeks.

Can we look at another Touch coming out, or is it the end of the line? Will it morph into the "low end" iPhone?

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I hope not!!!

Unless they merge it with the iPhone, and call it the wifi only model...

I can't imagine the iPod touch just being discontinued.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I was very surprised when Apple released the Touch 5. Such a big step from the 4th gen and it's a fantastic mobile device. More of a tablet that a MP3 player.

I heard that back in October over 3m new iTouch 5 devices were sold in just a few weeks.

Can we look at another Touch coming out, or is it the end of the line? Will it morph into the "low end" iPhone?

This October, the 16GB Touch will be upgraded to the latest A5 design. The 32/64GB will only see minor (if any changes).

A year from this October will be the earliest for probable upgrades to the Touch 5 design (i.e. Touch 6).

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012

I doubt the Touch will get discontinued.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA

I don't believe Apple will ever abandon the ipod touch. If other "Apple" devices serve as an example, they have updated their other less-popular products for years. Perfect example is the Mac Mini. It has been around for years and it isn't one of their top selling PCs, but it receives significant updates about every two years. Granted, this is a different product, but it is still making money for Apple albeit not as much as similar products (i.e.: iPhone, iPad, etc...).

Now, new significant upgrades may not happen often, but I'm sure they will have to "tweak" the specs enough to keep it current with the slew of apps available in the app store.

J

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
They won't discontinue it anytime in the foreseeable future. Sales will continue to drop a bit because of smartphones, but there still is a market for that kind of device, just not as big as it used to be.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Well, there has been talking since 2012 that Touch 4 will be the last touch and apple will discontinue along with Nano and shuffle.

As of today, i believe that shuffle is the sure thing to be discontinued. There are just too many competitors out there with better sound quality. Nano might not see beyond 7th gen, it is just way too expensive for a mp3/4 player that dont even have wifi for music/video sync.

Touch, like u said, it sells crazy after launch but with the emergence of Ipad mini, no one want to spend 299 on a non-phone 4 inch device anymore. Touch5 16GB might come sooner than expect.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Well, there has been talking since 2012 that Touch 4 will be the last touch and apple will discontinue along with Nano and shuffle.

As of today, i believe that shuffle is the sure thing to be discontinued. There are just too many competitors out there with better sound quality. Nano might not see beyond 7th gen, it is just way too expensive for a mp3/4 player that dont even have wifi for music/video sync.

Touch, like u said, it sells crazy after launch but with the emergence of Ipad mini, no one want to spend 299 on a non-phone 4 inch device anymore. Touch5 16GB might come sooner than expect.

I don't find the new Nano expensive at all, and I bought the new 64Gb Touch over the Mini because I think it's better value. Also, the Shuffle measures favorably with many other cheap mp3 players in terms of sound quality. You have to use decent iems, of course.

Personally I hope they bring out a 128Gb Touch later this year - I'd buy one of those, too.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I think the last model featuring a 4" retina screen, a new thin design and a new back is the most successful iPT ever. And it is VERY fast. Discontinue ? I don't think so.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Apple is never going to abandon the Ipod market. It sells alot of the devices to kids and people that don't want to pay a monthly contact. It may not update the touch all that much, but it will not discontinue it.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Impossible.

The iPod touch is the go-to device for parents whos kids want iPhones but the parents don't want/can't afford for the kid to have one. This is still a massive market and one that extends all the way to high school. The other iPods will fall long before the touch does.This market also refreshes itself nearly every year, as kids grow older and start wanting electronics, but the parents don't think they are ready for the full responsibility.

The touch is also very popular among people who have android devices but want some of the features ios offers (imessage, ability to play games with friends who have ios devices) which are all fueled by the iPhone. A "closed" system might be annoying but Apple has shows that done right it can be a amazing business model, while Google is struggling to find a way to make good profits off its "open" Android platform.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.