Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has something of a mixed track record predicting Apple product releases, having expected an Apple television set for several years now. Regardless, in a research note today, Munster predicted an iPhone 5S will be released in June, and a low-cost iPhone in September.

He believes the 5S will have incremental upgrades with a faster processor, better camera, and "an outside chance" that the device will gain an NFC chip as part of a digital wallet initiative. He also notes that some kind of biometric security feature is a possibility, but believes that is more likely in a future iPhone 6.

NewImage8.png
Regarding the lower-cost iPhone, Munster writes:
We continue to believe Apple will have a cheaper phone product to address the emerging markets. In recent public comments, Tim Cook noted that the original iPod cost $399 and eventually the company released a $49 iPod Shuffle which addressed a broader market. We believe Apple will likely introduce a cheaper device in the September quarter.
Earlier this year, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo -- who has a very good track record in recent years -- also predicted an iPhone 5S in June or July, with a lower-cost iPhone around the same time.

Article Link: Analyst Predicts New iPhone 5S in June, Low-Cost iPhone in September

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Analysts are paid to make up rumors to get the market stirring. He has no source for this but his imagination.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
This guy really gets all the headlines when it comes to Apple. I haven't followed hom closely but I haven't seen any real spot on forecasts from him. There are other analysts you know.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
If there is a place to bet. I think I can earn some real money by simply betting against him for Apple-related reports.

polymersayb

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Here we go again. Some guy "thinks" he knows what Apple will do, and then when Apple doesn't do that it's a sure sign that Apple is going to the dogs and that'd we'd better sell AAPL quick quick.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Where do i sign up to be paid to spew BS with a 50/50 probability year in year out?

Jugney

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
They would have to show off iOS 7 soon if this was to be true. I doubt it.

That's a good point. However, it's entirely possible. Some have predicted an iPad event for April, which would be a perfect place to announce iOS 7. And back in 2010, Apple announced iOS 4 in April before launching the iPhone 4 in June.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Some shmuck makes a guess and it's news?

If you introduce yourself as an analyst, I will kick you in the testicles.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So, iOS 7 beta in April?

Or, alternatively: iPhone 5S launching around WWDC in June with iOS 6.x, along with a release of iOS 7 beta to developers. Then iOS 7 launches in September alongside the low-cost iPhone?

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
/puts on large feathered turban and cape

I predict... that analysts will predict the iPhone 5S until the next iPhone comes out.

/puts turban and cape back into suitcase

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
iOS7 in June... iPhone 5s in June, Low Cost iPhone in September for mostly China, and new iPhone Maxi in September. My predictions. :)

iCar, iWatch, iVibrator all coming in winter 2014. :D

TelevisionTV

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
They already have low-cost alternatives

They already have 2 low-cost iPhone models, they're called iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
And as a bit of a nostalgia bonus, WWDC can be the venue for the iPhone announcement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.