Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_white.jpg
The iPhone 5 that will be sold through T-Mobile is a modified version of the A1428 iPhone 5 that is currently produced for AT&T's network, among others. The new version of the A1428 has been tweaked on the hardware side by Apple to support Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) bands for T-Mobile's network.

According to an Apple representative that spoke to Engadget, existing A1428 phones cannot be updated to add AWS support.
Apple's enabling support of the AWS bands from the factory on the new guy - and sadly, Apple affirmed to us that it's not something that can be enabled via a simple software update for A1428 iPhone units already in circulation. To say that another way, existing iPhone 5 owners on AT&T cannot simply apply a software patch to have AWS support added. You'll need to buy a new phone next month.
On April 12, which is the date that T-Mobile's iPhone 5 launches, Apple will be selling the new version of the A1428 iPhone. This phone will be available unlocked at full retail price through Apple, and will function with both the T-Mobile and AT&T networks, as well as on many LTE bands around the world.

Apple plans to phase out the existing A1428 hardware in favor of the new version, which means future phones from AT&T might also ship with AWS support included. While the current A1428 phone works with T-Mobile's network, it is notably slower than the modified version.

Apple's iPhone 5 with AWS included will be available at 12:01 a.m. on April 12 from 24-hour locations, and phones ordered from Apple's Online Store can be unlocked (after full payment) through T-Mobile.

Article Link: T-Mobile's iPhone 5 is a Tweaked Model A1428 Phone with AWS Support

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
In short, T-Mobile's iPhone 5 can go both ways after unlocking, while ATT's 5 can't, unless the iPhone 5 for ATT is bought after 4/12/13. Then it could go both ways.

BL.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
Oh wow.

So the new iPhone 5 is going to have AWS that means where i normally pick up Edge will instead be 3G where tmobile normally has? Or that hasnt been reformed?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Had to be. Adding 1700MHz band to LTE seems like a nice maneuver.

Current AT&T phone already supports 1700 LTE. This "tweak" is adding 1700 3G.

as well as on many LTE bands around the world.

It also seems they are adding more bands LTE bands though? Wondering if they are adding 1 (2100 MHz), 3 (1800 MHz) and 5 (850 MHz)? Essentially combining Model A1429 and Model A1428?

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Not giving a #%@$ as im stuck with ATT

Then why did you post in the thread?

I would say that you should care, because it means that not only is this version of the iPhone 5 now to be more sought after, you could now take it to another non-CDMA carrier without suffering any degradation of service due to the same bands being supported.

BL.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Does anyone know why Verizon's network speeds are slower than those of AT&T or T-Mobile???

I thought Verizon has always been considered the best. :confused:

In my experience with Verizon in a rural area, they are the best at giving it to their customers over a barrel.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Then why did you post in the thread?

I would say that you should care, because it means that not only is this version of the iPhone 5 now to be more sought after, you could now take it to another non-CDMA carrier without suffering any degradation of service due to the same bands being supported.

BL.

Im stuck with ATT for multiple reasons and me not caring can be explained by saying ignorance is bliss.... :) But then again...maybe it is not...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I wonder if there going to give it a new model number. I remember when they came out with the updated nano6g, they didn't bother changing the model number. Apple was still selling older 6g's to get rid of older stock. Didn't really matter since the change in parts weren't a big deal.

It would suck if you were to buy one and get an older model. At the very least the updated model should command more $$ in the resale market.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Im stuck with ATT for multiple reasons and me not caring can be explained by saying ignorance is bliss.... :) But then again...maybe it is not...

I ask, because I'm on ATT as well, and while I don't have any reason to switch carriers at this point, I like having the ability to have options, especially in the regard that my 3G or 4G service won't be degraded anymore, should I want to switch to T-Mobile. They've caught up and then some, plus put ATT a bit on notice as far as service, coverage, pricing, and portability go.

They also put VZW and Sprint on notice, as they have now stated that they now unbundled services that customers want, leaving free reign of how the phone is put together up to the manufacturer, not crippling the phone to be tailored to the network. Finally, a carrier in the US got it right, which is something Europe and the rest of the world has already had. Ironically, it took a European-owned carrier to do so.

In short, the others now has to step up their game, which makes it a bonus for us either way.

BL.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The next year or so is going to be wacky on the resale market. People will have to really do due diligence to make sure (if they are buying a used phone) that they are getting the "right" one.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone know why Verizon's network speeds are slower than those of AT&T or T-Mobile???

The GSM technology that AT&T and T-Mobile use for HSPA+ is faster than CDMA carriers like Verizon are capable of on their 3G networks. CDMA maxes out at around 3.7mbps I believe while AT&T HSPA+ goes up to 21mbps and T-Mobile goes up to 42mbps.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Tweaked A1428?

This is going to cause a nightmare ... so much hardware fragmentation.:mad:

Hopefully 5S has world-phone capabilities

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
As an Apple supporter since ~1992 when I got my first computer this is one of their first moves that has royally pissed me off.

Glad I get to sell my unlocked iPhone a1428 and go buy the exact same phone again.

The built in radio already supports these frequencies I fail to see how they cannot update the baseband in a future iOS to save me from paying 8% tax on $749 again ($59.92). Plus the added joy of whatever loss I take from reselling an iPhone 5, doubt I'll be getting a full $749 for my used phone.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
I'll be waiting for the iPhone 5S release mid year to upgrade my factory unlocked 64GB 4S MD257LL/A. Likely stay on T-Mobile. I get 3G most places now in LA. Looking forward to T-Mobile calling over WiFi VOIP client.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I ask, because I'm on ATT as well, and while I don't have any reason to switch carriers at this point, I like having the ability to have options, especially in the regard that my 3G or 4G service won't be degraded anymore, should I want to switch to T-Mobile. They've caught up and then some, plus put ATT a bit on notice as far as service, coverage, pricing, and portability go.

They also put VZW and Sprint on notice, as they have now stated that they now unbundled services that customers want, leaving free reign of how the phone is put together up to the manufacturer, not crippling the phone to be tailored to the network. Finally, a carrier in the US got it right, which is something Europe and the rest of the world has already had. Ironically, it took a European-owned carrier to do so.

In short, the others now has to step up their game, which makes it a bonus for us either way.

BL.

Completely agree with your point. As ATT has been heading the opposite direction for a while, perhaps people switching over to other carriers will make them reconsider their business plans to stay competitive

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Its considered the best because they have more LTE than TMobile has 3G and that's within 2 years of launching the network. T-Mobile still barely covers the US with HSPA. They've been working on it for over 5 years. ATT/VZW LTE is faster than TMo and far more expansive.

Id rather have LTE everywhere and pay a little more than get stuck with EDGE once I leave a city with tMo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.