Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
I am traveling with an iPhone 5 to the UK in a couple of weeks. Has anyone purchased and used AT&T Global data abroad and can you tell me whether it's possible to use the personal hotspot for tethering either with the regular data or wifi app?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I am traveling with an iPhone 5 to the UK in a couple of weeks. Has anyone purchased and used AT&T Global data abroad and can you tell me whether it's possible to use the personal hotspot for tethering either with the regular data or wifi app?

Thats so costly. Unlock your phone and buy a local SIM. If you can't tether now I don't think you can tether while roaming.

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
I was just in Mexico on an unlimited plan with the 300MB add on international plan and no, I was not able to tether.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
I was just in Mexico on an unlimited plan with the 300MB add on international plan and no, I was not able to tether.

Are you able to tether in the US? I am on a mobileshare plan and can tether here, but am just wondering if there's some strange yet typical exception with AT&T that prevents tethering with their global data plan.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
My understanding from late last year was you cannot tether.

----------

KDR - I just noticed you are off to the UK. I would just get a 3 Network sim card - mobile data rates in the UK are cheap as chips. Just make sure you are unlocked.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Thats so costly. Unlock your phone and buy a local SIM. If you can't tether now I don't think you can tether while roaming.

Not sure if that's always an option. I've been looking at the prepaid options in the UK, and it appears most don't allow you to tether anyway. If you just need it a little bit or for an emergency the AT&T global plan could be enough.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
No way I would pay AT&T for their international service.

I travel overseas for business all the time. I had my phone unlocked. I buy local SIM cards for cheap local service and use Viber app for calling and texting to my family at home in the States.

Example: while in the Philippines for two weeks I bought a local sim form SMART with unlimited Data. Cost my $12 dollars. The viber app is free. I walked or rode around Manila talking for hours over those two weeks for just the cheap cost of data.

And there still lots of ways to get your phone carrier unlocked. Even if you need to do it overseas.

Plus lots of local carriers allow tethering. That works great for traveling with my ipad.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
No way I would pay AT&T for their international service.

I travel overseas for business all the time. I had my phone unlocked. I buy local SIM cards for cheap local service and use Viber app for calling and texting to my family at home in the States.

Example: while in the Philippines for two weeks I bought a local sim form SMART with unlimited Data. Cost my $12 dollars. The viber app is free. I walked or rode around Manila talking for hours over those two weeks for just the cheap cost of data.

And there still lots of ways to get your phone carrier unlocked. Even if you need to do it overseas.

Thanks, but this is probably the one and only time I will be traveling with this iPhone outside the US and I don't want to go through the hassle of unlocking my phone. I want someone with an 800 number to yell and scream at if/when something goes wrong. AT&T has told me that tethering will work, but rather than trust them I thought I'd check with those on the board. Seems like most here who need international service travel often enough to justify unlocking.

Of well, if any has a concrete answer on tethering with global data I'd appreciate it.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Thanks, but this is probably the one and only time I will be traveling with this iPhone outside the US and I don't want to go through the hassle of unlocking my phone. I want someone with an 800 number to yell and scream at if/when something goes wrong. AT&T has told me that tethering will work, but rather than trust them I thought I'd check with those on the board. Seems like most here who need international service travel often enough to justify unlocking.

Of well, if any has a concrete answer on tethering with global data I'd appreciate it.

I totally understand. Just offering a suggestion. And that unlocking "hassle" will increase the resell value big time. May sure you get lots of global data if you plan to tether. I burn through several gigs when I'm traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.