Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I have a 2007 iMac 20" that I was planning to replace later this year when haswell comes out with probably a 13" rMBP. I have the patience, but I want to be prudent with cost. I like the idea of the mobility of a laptop, but since I currently am "surviving" ;) with an iMac, getting the mini doesn't concern me too much.

For these purposes, I want to compare the 2011 mini to a new mini.

I found a way to get a 2011 i5 2.5 Ghz with 4 GB ram and 500 GB hard drive for $400 new. I know I'm giving up the usb 3.0, but it still has thunderbolt. Is there a good reason to wait for Haswell other than the usb 3.0 (which I know is available now, too)? For $400, I might just pull the trigger and do the RAM and SSD upgrade myself.

My needs are basic. Web, Office (I am on excel quite a bit), the occasional handbrake of my DVD rips (which is excruciating on my iMac), and tinkering.

Thoughts?

I have a screen. Heck, I could probably still sell my iMac for as much on craigslist.

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

one of the most touted features of Haswell is power comsuption/management. Other, not so touted is the advantages of new architecture in the chips. No more raw power per se. Or too faster chips, for this case. So, unless you really wants/needs the USB 3.0, you will do well with the 2011 mini, based in your description of uses, IMHO.

:):apple:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you're really pressed for cash, the 2012 i7 Mini might be worth the extra $$$.

The USB3 is a -BIG- improvement -- the single greatest improvement for 2012 in the entire Macintosh lineup.

Conversely, Thunderbolt is still the "most underwhelming" Mac technology of them all...

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
one of the most touted features of Haswell is power comsuption/management. Other, not so touted is the advantages of new architecture in the chips. No more raw power per se. Or too faster chips, for this case. So, unless you really wants/needs the USB 3.0, you will do well with the 2011 mini, based in your description of uses, IMHO.

:):apple:

Thanks for the advice!

----------

Unless you're really pressed for cash, the 2012 i7 Mini might be worth the extra $$$.

The USB3 is a -BIG- improvement -- the single greatest improvement for 2012 in the entire Macintosh lineup.

Conversely, Thunderbolt is still the "most underwhelming" Mac technology of them all...

That was what I was wrestling with. But I don't have a ton of media right now. If I added a ssd to the mix, the ssd and hdd would be enough to fit all my media. Then my only external drive would be time machine. I don't care too much if that takes longer to transfer. I do appreciate that I don't know what the future holds, and I could really regret not having USB 3.0 in a time not all that far away, but my needs as of now seem to be met with the 2011. I'll keep stewing. I appreciate your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.