Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Shipping feels snappier
randysavage045_51509.jpg

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Boated confusing software does not make the best phone. Specs are only as good as its usability. To need twice the power to perform on par with the iPhone does not make it better. I'm sure Samsung laughs at getting Americans to fall for the giant screen move. They really did it because they had no choice. They could not make a smaller phone with comparable battery life and smooth performance so they needed space for a giant battery to support the processor running at a high clock speed and a bigger screen. I'm Samsung put there best optimized software on the phones at their release but the demos show it to still be slow to respond. What happens when its letting apps run in the background.

You don't have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Do you think anyone changed their posting habits because of being down voted? Just curious.

Absolutely. Things like the tone of "Top Comments" sure have changed as well as the amount polarizing in the groups. It's no longer a "level" playing field that has Ups and Downs...instead it's a race to get see which side gets the most up-votes.

If you don't think things like "the number of votes" matter, then why do you think MR has the system in the first place...because it changes the way people chat in the forum...and it changes the dynamic. Unfortunately, without the "down-vote" balance, this place is slowly becoming more of a battlefield.

I still think MR has great content, but the comments are getting messier and messier.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Absolutely. Things like the tone of "Top Comments" sure have changed as well as the amount polarizing in the groups. It's no longer a "level" playing field that has Ups and Downs...instead it's a race to get see which side gets the most up-votes.

If you don't think things like "the number of votes" matter, then why do you think MR has the system in the first place...because it changes the way people chat in the forum...and it changes the dynamic. Unfortunately, without the "down-vote" balance, this place is slowly becoming more of a battlefield.

I still like MR, but the comments are getting messier and messier.

I actually find that odd. Personally it didn't make any difference to me either way. Anyone who posted something the least bit negative about Apple would be flooded by down votes, which I personally think is immature. And there were many who took pride in getting as many down votes as possible. I think the current system is better for the forum.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Wow. You know, I had really been on the fence about the iPhone 4 for the past two and a half years. What really turned me off was the $10 shipping. And it's not like I'm going to drive to the closest phone store or Apple store. Time is money, people! But, now that the shipping is free, I am ready to commit to a $2,500 data plan over the next two years on a 30-month-old phone. Thanks, Apple!

</sarcasm>

Haha. This ^

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Loss of market share, stock value and (so some would say) most importantly, mindshare.

Hmmm. Well market share has not gone down, stock value has, but has nothing at all to do with any products, and I would love to see how you are measuring mindshare.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Agree....I sure do miss the Down button

I think the removal on the downvote button and the rise in absolutely unnecessary comments has a correlation. If someone was posting junk and it was downvoted, they'd usually stop. Now it's just the fools (read: majority) upvoting complete nonsense as decent. So the OP nonsense poster carries it on.

I access this sites content via RSS, I read the whole article in Outlooks built in RSS reader at work. Then I click 'read article', it opens in the browser. I scroll past the article, in the browser and skip to the 'highest rated' comments that are collected under the article. Not long ago that was a great way to get a feel for the key comments/views/opinions etc. Now down there it's usually drivel. I barely read the comments anymore - hell I use the site less and less. I do miss reading the comments though as you used to often find really useful info. But I'm not wading through the trash that's currently written to find the odd good one.

The downvote button was an important tool IMO.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted by chadley_chad
You'll probably find most of these people were once Apple devotees; but like myself, have become so disillusioned with Apple they've not only started to go elsewhere, but also backlash against the company just as they once did against Microsoft. What goes around comes around, but apple have only themselves to blame.

Sincerely, windows 8 user, ex iPhone 4!

Never read so much rubbish.

And what exactly do you find rubbish about my statement? Most of the people on here moaning about Apple ARE Apple owners, as I have been for the past 16 years. My comment is based upon my feelings and those of many fellow Mac owning friends. The fact you don't agree is irrelevant (unfounded as well!) and if anything, shows you to be nothing more than another one of these iSheep as we call them; people who worship Apple even when theres nothing (in all honesty) to actually worship them about!

Theres a definitive backlash against Apple and without question, many many people switching to Android and Windows just like myself. Why is this other than Apple not giving people what they want? Apple lost their way a long time ago; and had you have been a user for as long as me, you'd no doubt say the same! As such, re your statement, I've never read such rubbish, sorry to say right back at you!

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
I think the removal on the downvote button and the rise in absolutely unnecessary comments has a correlation. If someone was posting junk and it was downvoted, they'd usually stop. Now it's just the fools (read: majority) upvoting complete nonsense as decent. So the OP nonsense poster carries it on.

I access this sites content via RSS, I read the whole article in Outlooks built in RSS reader at work. Then I click 'read article', it opens in the browser. I scroll past the article, in the browser and skip to the 'highest rated' comments that are collected under the article. Not long ago that was a great way to get a feel for the key comments/views/opinions etc. Now down there it's usually drivel. I barely read the comments anymore - hell I use the site less and less. I do miss reading the comments though as you used to often find really useful info. But I'm not wading through the trash that's currently written to find the odd good one.

The downvote button was an important tool IMO.

As I said in a previous post, I think the majority of 'complainers' on here ARE ex Apple devotees; long-time users like myself who have become so disillusioned with Apple, they've not only started to go elsewhere, but also taken to backlashing against Apple (just as we all once did against Microsoft) via this site - as what other site do they have (of significance) to moan on?

You then get iSheep who are perhaps new adopters or just those blinded by Apple PR, who think Apple are the best thing since sliced bread and in a childish way, knock other manufacturers like Samsung (who have produced kit definitely superior in spec to Apple, plastic back aside!!!!) If this isn't the case then we have a significant amount of trolls ... but again, are they in all honesty wrong ... as I cant for the life of me see anything decent coming out of the house of Apple for some time (other than a boring 5S bump)

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
As I said in a previous post, I think the majority of 'complainers' on here ARE ex Apple devotees; long-time users like myself who have become so disillusioned with Apple, they've not only started to go elsewhere, but also taken to backlashing against Apple (just as we all once did against Microsoft) via this site - as what other site do they have (of significance) to moan on?

You then get iSheep who are perhaps new adopters or just those blinded by Apple PR, who think Apple are the best thing since sliced bread and in a childish way, knock other manufacturers like Samsung (who have produced kit definitely superior in spec to Apple, plastic back aside!!!!) If this isn't the case then we have a significant amount of trolls ... but again, are they in all honesty wrong ... as I cant for the life of me see anything decent coming out of the house of Apple for some time (other than a boring 5S bump)

If you don't like the products - I agree go elsewhere, great. I certainly think people should use what's best from them.

But mate, if a tech company, in this case Apple, who has their strongest product lineup ever, has the best reviewed stuff and highest customer satisfaction ratings, makes you "disillusioned", then I think you've fallen for mass media BS. Because as far as I can see Apple is producing the best stuff they ever have (bar the Mac Pro).

It speaks to larger society problem that we have people like you who class themselves as "devotees". Why the heck were you a devotee? What has Apple done for you? Use products based on their ability to do their job. Not becuase of the badge. You shouldn't expect to use Apple's products in the future just because they worked best for you in the past. I also think there's a set of people who think they need to buy everything Apple makes, every iteration. Rather than using what they have until they are due an upgrade (whether it's a phone or a laptop...)

'Backlashing' on an online community? Come on. It's pathetic. And destroys the value of the community. Your life will continue just fine without having to 'moan' on any site, if you must vent your feelings then perhaps directly at the company in question via their feedback form would be best. My complaint goes for any sort of senseless 'bashing' - anti Apple, Google, Microsoft. If it's baseless then to the community it's useless. Perhaps stricter moderation would help. Delete the completely pointless comments. Perhaps a prominent 'Report Comment' button would be useful, The Verge has one and it seems to work in getting rid of the useless comments, and it's up to the community to make use of the feature.

You make a valid point regarding childish posters. Then you become an ill informed one yourself as I'd love to know what Samsung has produced that was technically superior to Apple? E.g. I really dislike the creaky shell of the Galaxies, it's a downside for me. But if you are a user who needs to 2 batteries then it's a valid compromise. I'd personally take the HTC designs to Samsung ones if I went Android. Gen for gen there's nothing spec wise that is better from Samsung, but do enlighten me if you can prove they produce "definitely superior kit" (they produce bigger stuff sure, but product for product it's a fine balance they both produce high end stuff). I don't think there's much taxing these high end phones software wise at the moment, although the raw grunt appears to be helping reduce lag in the Android UI. What I do know is the iOS ecosystem beats the Samsung/Android one (especially in terms of tablet apps, iTunes U, TV integration and desktop to mobile integration). Samsung has some stylus based stuff that looks handy for a niche set of users - I doubt Apple will ever go back to using a stylus in thir products.

Back to my point, I don't have any problem with anti-Apple if the poster has a reason. However, most of it is just blind, baseless tripe. Mention lawsuit in an article and it's just madness, "Go Apple" when they win. "Go competitor, Apple deserves it" when they lose. Mention patents and it's just as stupid, Apple gets sued and I read "what goes around come around" - the person probably didn't even read the article, the comment has no value, it was blind soap box opinion.

For example if Apple starts a 'Why iPhone' campaign and touts it's retina display I don't want to hear hundred of silly "but Android phones have higher PPI" comments. Yes they do - but there's so much more to a screen - http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm. I think it's in the article authors interests to point these things out. Well written, fact based articles will help stamp some of the silly comments out, but the MacRumors article did none of that - https://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/16/apple-launches-new-why-youll-love-an-iphone-web-campaign/.

Deep down the cynic in me thinks MacRumors doesn't mind the stupid comments. Pointless 1000+ comment "flame wars" garner way more page views than a sensible discussion on an article which has only 30 comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.