Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2012
Only if you can unlock it via Gevey Turbo SIM (if it supports your iOS version). I would personally sell off the Verizon iPhone 4S and pick up a AT&T 4S for about the same price from CraigsList and use that....because it comes with the freedom of being able to switch carriers on the go far better than the Verizon/Sprint model of iPhone 4S....

Thanks man. For about how much should I sell it for? The lock button is broken and the sensor light is triggered. Somehow it got water inside.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks man. For about how much should I sell it for? The lock button is broken and the sensor light is triggered. Somehow it got water inside.

From what you have told me about it, your best bet is to put it on eBay as "Used" and mention its flaws because you will get better price than you will locally, then use that money + a little more from your end to grab a AT&T iPhone 4S.

Palacedog

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Not sure what I can tell you other than my carrier unlocked iPhone 4 works great with straight talk using the tmobile sim swap. Try again perhaps?
Thanks, but rather than calling Straight Talk or trying the T-Mobile swap yet again, I sent them an e-mail. They responded with a link that fixed the issue with a link to a new APN settings download and my phone has been working like a charm since. Guess the lesson is to e-mail ST with technical problems.

AK10R

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Fairbanks, Alaska
Input welcomed.

I have 4 iPhone Fours (three 4's & one 4s) and am going to switch to ST. I do not have to unlocked the iphones because they are AT&T (three from Apple and one from AT&T).

I'm a little confused about the sim card. Do I need to remove them, put in a different ones or just leve them in because they are AT&T?

My bill has been allitle above or below $300 per month and still don't have unlimited minutes or data on 2 of the phones. I called AT&T to have them talk me out of switching they told me that for $260 a month they could give me more minutes....... AT&T told me that I would not be able to talk n surf at the same time. ..... I don't think I have ever don that and AT&T said I would not get the service I get with AT&T..... OK. Last she said I could not roam on other networks..... None of them r a show stopper. See anything I'm missing?

We live in Alaska and make one or two trips out of state a year (all in USA).

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Did you buy net10...:rolleyes:

actually no, I ended up with Straight Talk SIM because Net10 is $50/month unless u do auto pay with Credit Card...I get refills for Straight Talk @ $45 no tax...so it was cheaper to go this route.

Our other iPhone 5 we will be switching over will most likely run on Go-Smart Mobile for now.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
How u get refills for Straight Talk @ $45 no tax... i pay tax??:confused:

I bought my first one from Walmart, I used to have straight talk a year and half while I was in the states and I used to purchase the refills from eBay.

They are usually $3-$4 cheaper and no sales tax...plus get ebay bucks...

The sellers on eBay ask for your phone number and refill your account within 24hours, From experience of buying many times I can say that I had no issues and once I am back in states next month hopefully the smooth transactions via eBay for my refills continue as they did in the past.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Well most carriers do not have good service in the USA except for AT&T and Verizon. Sprint is really bad and T-Mobile is worse than Sprint, so I have been with AT&T for years and very happy. I would not be able to leave AT&T because I use voice and data at the same time, means a lot to me and VZ and Sprint do not offer it, and can not since Apple will not install a special antenna on the phones just for them.

With iPhone 5 sales very sluggish, I see and know a lot of people who are on AT&T and Verizon an left the iPhone to get the Samsung Galaxy SIII.

If Apple doesn't start working with as many Carriers as possible, they may see sales slide further.

Palacedog

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, but rather than calling Straight Talk or trying the T-Mobile swap yet again, I sent them an e-mail. They responded with a link that fixed the issue with a link to a new APN settings download and my phone has been working like a charm since. Guess the lesson is to e-mail ST with technical problems.

Update: Cellular data is not working, AGAIN! Spent about an hour on the phone with ST csr and still not working. They suggest I contact Apple. Please. Totally maddening. My experience is that ST is a burn. Hate to pay the extra $$, but I'm going back to AT&T and will upgrade at the next iPhone release. Yet another reason to never deal with anything Walmart.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
So how u cat the straight talk sim for iphone 5 because I want to buy iphone 5 and the chip on the sim card is a little big.....:confused:

There is a tool you can buy (I've seen them on Amazon) called a NanoSIM cutter.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I need information for a Verizion iPhone 5, it is unlocked for internacijunalne network ... and if I could use it in the U.S. on a different type of GSM network AT & T or T-Mobile or can i used on my carrier straight talk?? thanks

Yes just put your straight talk SIM card inside and it will work. You will need to cut it down to nano SIM card size since I don't believe straight talk offers a nano sim yet.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Yes just put your straight talk SIM card inside and it will work. You will need to cut it down to nano SIM card size since I don't believe straight talk offers a nano sim yet.

Correct. The newest Straight Talk offers is a MicroSIM.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I am back in USA and got my straight talk sim from Walmart that I ordered online. I ordered a Full Size SIM and got a Nano SIM cutter from eBay. It cut a bit of the gold part but the SIM works perfectly, you just have to be careful when aligning the SIM inside the cutter to get good cut.

I know some people have been saying the SIM cards they been getting from Walmart is a T-Mobile SIM but mine wasn't, Its a AT&T SIM and I'm seeing "Home" as well as "AT&T 14.0" next to Carrier in "About" which is what I used to see when I was in the states about a year ago.

Also I installed "TetherMe" which allows APN editing as well as enables personal hotspot (I dont plan to use but at least its available)

Speeds are good 3-6mbps down/1-3mbps/up, I dont plan on abusing it:)

----------

Anyone running SIMPLE MOBILE or GoSmart Mobile and getting HSPA+ 3G on a iPhone in Chicago, IL or anywhere in USA at all?

Last edited:

amchap

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Recent Experiences

Great thread. Appreciate all the info. Just wanted to share my recent experiences. I have an AT&T iPhone 4S which is no longer under contract.

Started with Red Pocket Mobile. Used one of their "unlimited" (monthly) plans for a month which went fine. Switched to one of their "paygo" (pay as you go) plans which seemed to go fine. Then my data stopped working. I contacted support, who had been helpful on the two prior occasions I had needed them. This time they tried various things and eventually told me I needed to reset my iphone. i.e. completely wipe my iphone 4s. Not planning to do that.

Thought I might switch to H20 Wireless pay as you go. Went onto their site to buy a sim, but it seemed you needed to select a monthly plan during the check out. So I sent an email to the support email address on their site. Never heard from them.

So maybe I should just give up with pay as you go plans, and go with Straight Talk, since others seem to rate them. This thread suggests they sell micro sims. But I couldn't find where on their site. And while navigating around all the info on their site talked about T-Mobile compatible phones, with no mention of AT&T compatible phones. So I sent a note to their support email address. I did get a reply the next day, but unfortunately it was the following

We understand that you wanted to purchase a Micro SIM card.

Please be advised that Straight Talk Wireless is not selling SIM cards
that are compatible with AT&T devices at this time. We will bring them
back as soon as we can.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Great thread. Appreciate all the info. Just wanted to share my recent experiences. I have an AT&T iPhone 4S which is no longer under contract.

*snip*

So maybe I should just give up with pay as you go plans, and go with Straight Talk, since others seem to rate them. This thread suggests they sell micro sims. But I couldn't find where on their site. And while navigating around all the info on their site talked about T-Mobile compatible phones, with no mention of AT&T compatible phones. So I sent a note to their support email address. I did get a reply the next day, but unfortunately it was the following

You can find Straight Talk SIMs on eBay and Amazon, but the lack of supply has driven up prices. I suggest getting a Net10 AT&T MicroSIM.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Ya I got lucky to get STraight talk SIM back in January from walmart.com which has been great. I also can confirm since no one got back to my earlier post that Any T-Mobile MVNO such as Simple Mobile, GoSmart Mobile etc will get 3G on their network when in areas that have 1900MHz reaffirmed such as Chicago,IL.

The coverage in Chicago has been great, with speeds up to 11Mbps on Simple Mobile and I have gotten 3G in 30mile radius of 60616 zip. Downside of T-Mobile 1900MHz is that it has poor building penetration, despite showing 3G the speeds are poor but If you have great WiFi when indoors then its not much of an issue.

amchap

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
You can find Straight Talk SIMs on eBay and Amazon, but the lack of supply has driven up prices. I suggest getting a Net10 AT&T MicroSIM.

Thanks. I've ordered both a Net10 and an AirVoice MicroSIM from Amazon. Will report back on my experiences.

amchap

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks. I've ordered both a Net10 and an AirVoice MicroSIM from Amazon. Will report back on my experiences.

Both SIMs have arrived. I've activated the AirVoice MicroSIM on a $10 Pay As You Go plan and so far voice/text/data all seem to be working. Still a mystery to me why data stopped working for me on RedPocket.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I have requested for more carrier options to be added to my thread (All the new T-Mobile MVNO's)

Also requested the MOD's if we can have the option to "Change" our vote once every 6 months, I think it would/will help us keep threads updated to "current".

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I have requested for more carrier options to be added to my thread (All the new T-Mobile MVNO's)

Also requested the MOD's if we can have the option to "Change" our vote once every 6 months, I think it would/will help us keep threads updated to "current".

Could you please add Airvoice Wireless?

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
I currently have an iPhone 5 with Verizon. What is the cheapest plan I can get without loosing too much coverage. I don't want constant dropped calls. I don't use phone very much mainly Internet and text. I'm located in Los Angeles. I was looking at simple mobile I think 40$ a month and possibly the 30$ tmobile plan with 100 minutes wondering if it would every be possible to get 4g with any of these carriers with my Verizon iPhone or even with page plus if they will ever get 4g lte. Thanks I. Advance !!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I currently have an iPhone 5 with Verizon. What is the cheapest plan I can get without loosing too much coverage. I don't want constant dropped calls. I don't use phone very much mainly Internet and text. I'm located in Los Angeles. I was looking at simple mobile I think 40$ a month and possibly the 30$ tmobile plan with 100 minutes wondering if it would every be possible to get 4g with any of these carriers with my Verizon iPhone or even with page plus if they will ever get 4g lte. Thanks I. Advance !!

Well from what you tell me I would recommend the $30 T-Mobile plan, As for coverage, all depends if T-Mobile has coverage in your area with their 1900MHz HSPA+, check my thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1356522/

Simple Mobile $40 plan is really ****** if you are a internet user and need decent amount of data...250MB goes by really fast.

Consider Net10 AT&T SIM with 1.5GB Data if T-Mobile doesn't have enough coverage in your area, its $45/month...first month might cost you a little more but after that start getting refills from eBay...best place to get them.

Summary:

#1: T-Mobile $30 Plan
#2: Net10 $45 ($50 w/out autopay) <- Try to get refills done from eBay sellers..

I am currently on Straight Talk and get my monthly refills from eBay every month ranging from $30-$38...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.