Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redsox1108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Just received my mba in the mail today and am looking to add some protective accessories. Looking for a case or skin and most likely I keyboard protector to begin. Was looking into a speck clear case or one of the black carbon fiber skins from a host of manufacturers including icarbons, bodyguards, and slick wraps.

Was hoping to hear some thought on if more people prefer a skin or a hard case, and furthermore if a skin is the way to go, which make to go with. I've heard good things about the icarbons but don't really like the fact the they don't come with the apple logo not cut out.

Lastly, was wondering which is the best keyboard protector to go with and if buying one is really all that necessary.

Thanks.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I greatly prefer skins - they maintain the same lightweight and sleek profile that led you to buy the Air in the first place, and protect from scratches.

I have used and recommend icarbons, but I also hate the fact that they got rid of the cutout.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've had a ZaggSkin on my 11" air since the week I got it back in Nov 2010, and it still looks great. Its got the scratchproofiness of Zagg, and the design I picked out. Plus no wet install and it hasn't peeled at all in the last 2 years.

I use a hard case (Booqbag vyper) when I need to take my MBA somewhere with me (but now that I have an iPad as well, I don't really travel with the air much).

----------

What do you mean the cutout?

By cutout, I think he means the apple logo.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
What do you mean the cutout?

icarbons used to provide the cutout of the Apple logo on the skin for the top of the Air. They stopped providing that (due to legal issues with Apple) and now sell only a solid skin that covers the apple logo.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
For me.....

skins are more confortable, sleek, stylish and dont bring too much weight to the Air. But I prefer cases in my portable devices, just based in the fact they tend to fall of my hands....:D...and I have the idea that a case protects better than a skin.

:):apple:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
i've always opted for the basic neoprene sleeve for my laptops...i put cases on my phones but not my computers. admittedly i have dropped them from time to time and my 5 year old mbp looks pretty beat up, but for the most part the sleeve suits my needs - keeps it protected while i'm moving around and i generally only use the computer on a desk.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
icarbons used to provide the cutout of the Apple logo on the skin for the top of the Air. They stopped providing that (due to legal issues with Apple) and now sell only a solid skin that covers the apple logo.

I read about that. Apple told them to stop doing it, so it was not iCarbon's choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.