Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
My i7 680mx 24gb ram 3tb fusion iMac takes like 20 seconds to start using from a sleep. The screen takes about 8-10 seconds to come on after clicking the mouse and then its another 8 seconds to before I can get a cursor.

My 2009 iMac was instant awake. I really thought the fusion drive was going to make the awake process faster. Was I wrong in assuming this?

Ppq

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
My i7 680mx 24gb ram 3tb fusion iMac takes like 20 seconds to start using from a sleep. The screen takes about 8-10 seconds to come on after clicking the mouse and then its another 8 seconds to before I can get a cursor.

My 2009 iMac was instant awake. I really thought the fusion drive was going to make the awake process faster. Was I wrong in assuming this?

seems like you need better machine. /lol

are you sure it's sleep and not a hibernation? :)

njvan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
That doesn't sound right. I have the same config (albeit with 32Gb of RAM) and certainly don't have to wait that long. After-market RAM?

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I have the 1GB Fusion drive with 32MB ram using a Logitech Bluetooth mouse and it wakes from sleep in ~1 second. I don't have any idea what the solution to your problem, but is there an Apple store near you? As a generic try, do a PRAM reset.

Read through your original post again and your "wake from sleep" time is suspiciously close to a full boot time. Maybe your computer is shutting down? Try the following:
In Terminal, put in "sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0"
Verify it took by using "sudo pmset -g"

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Look at the Console utility to see what messages are being left at the time of the wake.

imac275

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013

I have the same spec, except on 8GB RAM at the moment. For the first day or so mine was taking about a second to wake up and I even thought that was slow as my old 2008 iMac was completely instant.

Over the weekend, even this slight delay disappeared, so maybe it was down to the disk indexing (I am running the Fusion drive with 1 TB used out of 3TB)

What I have noticed is that the boot time when it is totally turned off is much longer than I expected - about 2 minutes compared to 30 seconds on my old 2008 iMac that booted from a 128GB SSD with all data held externally.

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
That's not right, there's def something wrong.

My i7 680mx 32gb ram 1tb fusion doesn't behave like that. Wakes from sleep in a sec or 2, and from off to login in around 15 seconds.

Could be RAM problem as someone else suggested - try taking out the 2x8s you've added and see if that fixes it. Although I would have thought RAM problems would have manifested with different issues to this...

Do you have external drives attached?

yourashero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
It is really intermittent. I do have an external drive. Its a 2TB WD My Passport.

Sometimes it wakes right up and sometimes it takes around 20 seconds.

I have the console open right now and it gave me a lot of the same messages.

sandboxd: ([67280]) com.apple.qtkits(62780) deny file-read-data /users/me/movies/imovies/imovie event

I opened it up and its the same event for each one several times and then it switches to another imovie event. I don't have imovie, FCPX, or quicktime open.

It started quickly this morning. I''ll post the console the next time it slows down.

Nogami

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
It is really intermittent. I do have an external drive. Its a 2TB WD My Passport.

Have you tried with the external drive disconnected? If the external drive spins-down, the Mac will probably try and spin the drive back up before coming back on again.

You could also use disk utility to scan all of your drives for errors, I had an issue with my 27" iMac where a bunch of soft errors were causing extremely slow starts until repaired.

Kutuzov

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
I have the exact same thing. I thought it was normal. I don't have an external drive or anything. My configuration is 27" with i5 and 3tb Fusion Drive. 16 gb ram but it's from Apple, not added afterwards.

Also, it's not intermittent and it's always been like this since I got it.

mistagogo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Same configuration, apart from 1tb fusion. Wake from sleep is instantaneous. Wake from turned off less than 8 seconds.

eternalife

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I have the same issue with my brand new maxed out 21.5". Once awake it is lightning fast (other than iTunes). I ended up turning off sleep because it took so long to wake up. My MBP is sub-second on wake up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.