Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
So when the end CalDAV and CardDAV support (apparently in September), how does someone access their Google contacts or their Google calendar on an iPhone? There must still be some method, correct?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
So when the end CalDAV and CardDAV support (apparently in September), how does someone access their Google contacts or their Google calendar on an iPhone? There must still be some method, correct?

from the blog:

"We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV. "

They're shutting down "CalDAV API" for developers.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I'm so sick of Google's new direction for mobile devices. Ever since their decision to drop AES for free Gmail accounts I've moved on.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Just wanted to note that CalDAV and CardDAV have been more reliable for me, in my experience, than EAS.

Also, EAS had annoying limitations in how you could set up contacts. For example, you could only have one "work" number or one "mobile" number for someone. With CardDAV those restrictions are no longer there.

EAS sucks. I'm glad Google has moved away from it (and is likely no longer paying patent license fees to MS for it). I have other problems with Google but this is definitely not one of them!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Just wanted to note that CalDAV and CardDAV have been more reliable for me, in my experience, than EAS.

Also, EAS had annoying limitations in how you could set up contacts. For example, you could only have one "work" number or one "mobile" number for someone. With CardDAV those restrictions are no longer there.

EAS sucks. I'm glad Google has moved away from it (and is likely no longer paying patent license fees to MS for it). I have other problems with Google but this is definitely not one of them!

FWIW, a lot of the limitations in Google's implementation of EAS are not due to EAS itself. Most of the those limitations were because Google configured them in. Whether it was intentional or not is anyone's guess, but the EAS implementation I use at work isn't nearly as limited as Google's was, and EAS certainly doesn't suck when the admins configure it in a non-sucky fashion.

So, yeah, Google is pretty much where the problem was, all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.