Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the middle of 2012, it was reported that Apple was looking at investing up to $1 billion over 10 years to build a new data center and other facilities near Reno, Nevada. Today, AppleInsider reports that Apple's first small data center project in Reno appears ready to go online.

renodatacenter.jpg
The initial Reno facility is surround by black lamp posts outfitted with cameras, and is staffed with security personnel, although has only basic fencing in place. The simple initial structure is now apparently finished and, according to a person familiar with Apple's plans, is set to go online in the coming weeks.

It is possible that Apple started work on the initial building to serve as a testing center to help in planning the full deployment, including optimization of the site's connection with local power, water and data networks.

The company has 345 acres of land surrounding the building, nearly twice the area of its Prineville project, allowing for vast expansion of both data center buildings and supporting structures, including solar fields.
Apple has two other major data center projects in the works, with the 500,000 square foot Maiden, North Carolina center firmly established and powered by a massive field of solar panels. Construction at the 338,000 square foot Prineville, Oregon center is well underway.

Article Link: First Phase of Apple's New Reno, Nevada Data Center Ready to Open

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
looks....exciting.

this is just a mockup, the real one is already built somewhere under the pacific ocean

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
I'm starting to wonder if there are any planned data centres around the rest of the world. Europe, Asia, South America for instance.

Would make the speeds of icloud n suchlike a lot more acceptable to people in those parts.

I don't particularly have any problems myself, but then again I'm not really using those services in a particularly hardcore fashion, I rarely use maps, sometimes use my .me email, don't store any documents in the cloud. Etcetc.

But I can imagine speeds being quite variable in some instances, as such getting frustrating quite easily ;)

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Looks more like a military base. Just stuck out in the middle of no where?
I have family near there (Carson City). It's not the middle of nowhere. EVERYWHERE in that part on Nevada looks like that.

Funny story about that. When this was announced my family said "Now you can get a job with Apple, move to Nevada, and be close to us". Hmmm... Let's see. Nevada or stay where I am on Vancouver Island. Trees, whales, seals, sea breeze, and wonderful scenery or...Nevada. Dust, sand, sagebrush, and rocks. Wow, tough call there. Sorry, but somehow I'm just not interested in moving. Even though it is Apple, no. Just no.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm starting to wonder if there are any planned data centres around the rest of the world. Europe, Asia, South America for instance.

Would make the speeds of icloud n suchlike a lot more acceptable to people in those parts.

I don't particularly have any problems myself, but then again I'm not really using those services in a particularly hardcore fashion, I rarely use maps, sometimes use my .me email, don't store any documents in the cloud. Etcetc.

But I can imagine speeds being quite variable in some instances, as such getting frustrating quite easily ;)

icloud is already outsourced to microsoft and amazon, so no need. apple has the master data and Amazon/MS host the copies that the users see

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I have family near there (Carson City). It's not the middle of nowhere. EVERYWHERE in that part on Nevada looks like that.

Funny story about that. When this was announced my family said "Now you can get a job with Apple, move to Nevada, and be close to us". Hmmm... Let's see. Nevada or stay where I am on Vancouver Island. Trees, whales, seals, sea breeze, and wonderful scenery or...Nevada. Dust, sand, sagebrush, and rocks. Wow, tough call there. Sorry, but somehow I'm just not interested in moving. Even though it is Apple, no. Just no.

I know I'm pretty boring, but I love that dust...sand...and rocks!

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Oooo its a shed... But thats what all construction sites start like, more likely its mostly storage and staff facilities at the moment and the actual DC work is to come. Wonder how they keep all the sand out of places like that, must be a nightmare.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013
I thought somehow, it was going to be a lot bigger than that!

But at least it runs off 100% renewable energy, right? Like a couple rechargeable 'D' batteries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.