Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PopCap has confirmed that Plants Vs. Zombies 2 will be arriving this summer. The original is one of the biggest hits for the company, which was purchased by EA for $650 million in cash plus $650 million more in stock and potential earn-outs back in 2011.

mzl.yiawfvxq.480x480-75.jpg
PopCap didn't release any information about the sequel, but has launched another PvZ title for Facebook called Plants vs. Zombies Adventures:
Unlike the original, Adventures has players defending a motor home from waves of zombies, and the undead don't just walk in a straight line this time. They can follow paths that turn and twist, like in other tower-defense titles. New plants like the Beet -- which, uh, beats enemies -- will help deal with these more complex attack patterns.

Plants vs. Zombies Adventures also has a town-building mechanic that has players upgrading various properties to earn new resources. This aspect of the game also reveals PopCap's social and monetization strategy.

Article Link: Plants Vs. Zombies 2 Coming This Summer

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
for the love of god add cloud support so i dont have to play it all over again on each device i own

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Looking forward to this as the original was quite easy to beat. I see a lot of extra levels you can purchase and whatnot, but I don't do the in app purchase thing so I guess I miss out!

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
PvZ is my favorite iOS game ever. I'm really worried that EA has ruined it considering Real Racing and SimCity. There are actually two SimCity irritants btw: there's the recent DRM fiasco on the PC release, but remember how instead of updating and improving the iOS SimCity release they offered a "new" version as a separate purchase? Boooooooo

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The EA business model:

Charge money for a game.

Then later on, add obnoxious advertisements!

And fail to provide updates/fixes even so. Many of their games still don't even have retina support! But oh, they were sure to get an update out to insert ad banners! Dead Space for instance.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Really liked the first one, must have played through the main adventure 20-30times and completed all the mini games. I've been itching for a sequel but I know for a fact it is going to be absolutely terrible because it'll be another freemium app :-( the same as real racing 2 being brilliant and completing and not getting past the forth race in real racing 3.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
No way in hell this turns out well!

Original game is classic and sells well.
EA comes in and buys the company.
Eff's it all up :p

-Kevin

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
EA will fill it with in app purchases!

This.

EA already ruined Real Racing 3 by doing this, they have plans to ruin Command and Conquer (another revival) in the same fashion by the end of the year.

----------

It's already full of in app purchases! Jeez...

But they have still not found a way to charge you for turning your device on to play the game. I am sure they are working on it. :D

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Yes and this is the sad part. All the good from the game will be sucked out.

Gah!

I bought the first PvZ on iOS. It's very good, I finished it, I enjoyed it.
I'd like to get some more fun out of it by playing the minigames and extras that it has, loaded in the app, sitting right there on my iPod.

But I can't unless I either grind through the game I've already finished for about 200 hours to earn enough currency to unlock the extra modes, or I buy a wad of currency for real money.

This is how PvZ is. This has *nothing* to do with EA!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Anyone ever play the entire game and then go to a new device and remember how boring it is to do the beginning levels again? If they can't allow you to move your saved games between devices then at least have the ability to jump to any level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.