Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BMW has announced that its app-compatible BMW and MINI vehicles now support integration with iOS audio and music apps Audible, Rhapsody, and TuneIn, along with location sharing app Glympse.
"We regularly identify apps that our owners rely on as part of their everyday life, and adapt them for an in-vehicle experience they'll find safe, useful and engaging," said Phil Johnston, Product Manager for the BMW Group Apps Platform from the BMW Group Technology Office. "Audible, Glympse, Rhapsody and TuneIn were natural additions to the family of BMW Apps Ready Apps."
bmw_apps_audible.jpg
Apps can be accessed and used with the iDrive controller after plugging in an iPhone to the center console with a USB cable or the SnapIn adapter available in any compatible BMW or Mini.

All of the apps that have been approved for use with BMW Apps Ready vehicles will be updated over the next few weeks to add support for the new functionality. BMW Apps is an option that is available on 2011 and later BMW and MINI vehicles.

Article Link: BMW Announces New iOS App Partnerships with Audible, Glympse, Rhapsody, and TuneIn

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You would need more than just a BMW, you would need to add built-in navigation to get the screen, then BMW apps on top of that to get the functionality, and finally add the iPhone adapter to actually connect your iPhone.

It adds up really fast, but I'm still glad to get these updates.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Awesome. I have a 2008 335i, but have been contemplating the new 4 series when it comes out. I used TuneIn all the time this would be welcome.

bubba451

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
You would need more than just a BMW, you would need to add built-in navigation to get the screen, then BMW apps on top of that to get the functionality, and finally add the iPhone adapter to actually connect your iPhone.

It adds up really fast, but I'm still glad to get these updates.

Yup. At least on the US 3-series:

• The BMW Apps option is itself $250
  • BUT requires the Navigation system ($2150)
  • AND BMW Assist ($650)
So unless you were going to get those options anyway, it's just over $3k to make use of this.

Still, as you said, nice to see the functionality improve.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I've got a 2013 335i. This sounds better than reality. Facebook and Twitter integration suck if you want my honest opinion. I'd rather BMW focus on their two core apps which are disgraceful and still not formatted for the iPhone 5's screen.

It takes 5-10 minutes on average for the app to unlock/lock the car and/or flash the headlights when it works. Remote start would be nice as well, but considering we only spent $50K plus on a car I guess that’s too much to ask for?

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I've got a 2013 335i. This sounds better than reality. Facebook and Twitter integration suck if you want my honest opinion. I'd rather BMW focus on their two core apps which are disgraceful and still not formatted for the iPhone 5's screen.

It takes 5-10 minutes on average for the app to unlock/lock the car and/or flash the headlights when it works. Remote start would be nice as well, but considering we only spent $50K plus on a car I guess that’s too much to ask for?

My wife has a 2012 X3 with the technology package & Navigation. BMW doesn't understand what a user friendly interface is, so I wouldn't expect their Apps to be any better. My wife doesn't even know how to do the most basic of activities like entering an address in the navigation system. We really need someone at Apple coming up with a standard App interface that can be applied to these cars (and other cars), not relying on the car vendor themselves.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Why doesn't apple just sell an ipad mini to auto manufacturers to embed in dashboards and let them create apps to control the various functions of the car. Seems obvious.

Worldwide 60 million cars were produced.
In the US 16 million cars purchased.
Germany produced 6 million in 2012.

Apple sold 50 million ipads in 2012? Maybe this would bump ipad sales by 10% or 15%? It would certainly benefit apple from an ecosystem standpoint.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Indeed awesome!

I've got a BMW from 2009.... have to wait for my next Beemer! :eek:

You're lucky my 330i ZHP is from 2004.

I ended up buying an after-market HD radio/iPhone interface which I currently use with my iPhone 4. It is not the cleanest of installation and the interface is clunky on the OEM navigation screen-but it serves it's purpose.

----------

I've got a 2013 335i...considering we only spent $50K plus on a car I guess that’s too much to ask for?

As much I love BMW's they do 'nickle' and 'dime' their customers.

Last edited:

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
Why doesn't apple just sell an ipad mini to auto manufacturers to embed in dashboards and let them create apps to control the various functions of the car. Seems obvious.

Apple sold 50 million ipads in 2012? Maybe this would bump ipad sales by 10% or 15%? It would certainly benefit apple from an ecosystem standpoint.

But then Apple are giving up some control of the hardware and manufacturing. That's something they do not like to do.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Have a 2013 328i sport. But it doesn't have the navigation system so I just use it to play back Music and podcasts. Next car will have those options ;)

Hope they come out with a lightening cable soon. Using my old iPod touch for my music. Would like to pickup a newer one

----------

You're lucky my 330i ZHP is from 2004.

I ended up buying an after-market HD radio/iPhone interface which I currently use with my iPhone 4. It is not the cleanest of installation and the interface is clunky on the OEM navigation screen but it serves it's purpose.

----------

As much I love BMW's they do 'nickle' and 'dime' their customers.

They charge a lot for options but I have to say the accessories are pretty reasonable

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

No, as long as you have BMW Apps option a USB to dock connector or lightning cable works. You don't need the plug-in adapter for BMW Apps, only to get the iPod GUI. (Source: me, owner of an '11 335i w/ BMW Apps but no plug-in adapter and frequent uses of the Pandora "app").

Yup. At least on the US 3-series:

• The BMW Apps option is itself $250
  • BUT requires the Navigation system ($2150)
  • AND BMW Assist ($650)
So unless you were going to get those options anyway, it's just over $3k to make use of this.

Sort of, but no one buys any of that a la cart. It comes bundled in the Tech package which includes Nav, BT, and smartphone integration. I can't speak for other BMW owners but I didn't spend $3K to use BMW Apps, but rather Nav and BT, but the more compatibility BMW adds the better.

I'm sure Apple would. The problem is likely on the automakers ends. I can't speak from experience with BMW, having owned 5 since '96, that BMW knows how to build a fun car to drive, but knows zero about tech. They are always, ALWAYS, 5 years behind any tech you could pick up off the shelf at BestBuy.

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Apple + BMW = Beautiful match.

Now all I gotta do is get myself back into an iPhone and dump this Android bullcrap.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

too dangerous. the whole point of the BMW idrive controller is to keep the driver's hand in one place when controlling the on board computer, which has apps adapted to be in line with a driving experience. using a mini while driving = lawsuits up the whazoo.

unless you're talking about apple letting car manufacturers create a new app environment for the ipad mini... which apple would never do. they want total control of the experience.

Last edited:

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
My BMW app on 2012 528i is so buggy I gave up using it. Facebook and Twitter integration really just show off to people that you can update your address or destination from a bimmer. No thank you. I would be surprised if I really can upgrade my app to the new feature without buying a new car after all they charge a IPod cable for $100 and a iPhone cradle for $200. Speed limit infor to my GPS for $100, keyless entry for $1000, and BMW app for $200 (it is purely a software enablement!)

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011

I would refuse to buy another BMW or any car for that matter if they did this.

I don't want Apple products integrated in the cars I buy. Worst idea ever.

johngarry

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
don't believe the hype

have 2013 X6M-fully, and though having paid for the 'xtras', BMW has no access to iPhone tech, so message/test/cal functionality won't ever work… until/unless Apple gives it to them… that from BMWUSA/AG both. just sayin :mad:

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
have 2013 X6M-fully, and though having paid for the 'xtras', BMW has no access to iPhone tech, so message/test/cal functionality won't ever work… until/unless Apple gives it to them… that from BMWUSA/AG both. just sayin :mad:

First world problem!

----------

Only the 1% will benefit on this.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
First world problem!

----------

Only the 1% will benefit on this.

So what? I paid $60k for my car, it is a lot to ask for for these features to work?

This is coming from a 27 year old registered Democrat by the way. I do care about the problems of the needy and the third would, but the issues are not related.

----------

I have been informed by people who supposedly know about this matter that a BMW with four wheels is a bimmer; a beemer is a BMW with two wheels.

Quoted for truth. Though it is a bit snobbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW#BMW_slang

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I can't speak from experience with BMW, having owned 5 since '96, that BMW knows how to build a fun car to drive, but knows zero about tech. They are always, ALWAYS, 5 years behind any tech you could pick up off the shelf at BestBuy.

Part of the reason why they take longer is because they want to get it right. Take their adaptive cruise control - I couldn't make it screw up when I tried in heavy traffic. And it safely slowed me as someone only doing 120kph pulled out in front of me as I was cruising at 160kph, without either the car not me breaking a sweat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.