Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 2007 MBP 15 (4GB Ram, 128GB SSD) or get a 2012 MBA 13.

I mainly use my current MBP for daily tasks (e-mail, web, facebook, etc.) and remote support (I'm a IT hardware tech who needs to occasionally remote into PC/Macs). I'm leaning towards the Air for battery life and portability but $1199 is a bit of change since I already have a functional Mac that works great (sans battery life.

Decisions, Decisions!

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Hi funny you should ask, I have a 2006 MBP and just jumped on the refurb 2012
13" MBA at $899.00 free ship with the same 1 yr warranty. Its on ebay.

I like the 15" MBP very much, bought it used and has served me very well.
I have an 11" 2011 MBA for another location, and I really like the Air, especially for typing, and my needs are not vast, but I do download a lot of pics, not been a problem. The Air is sleek, fast, and plenty of oomph for me at $899.00
a complete no brainer, but they are going quickly.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hi funny you should ask, I have a 2006 MBP and just jumped on the refurb 2012
13" MBA at $899.00 free ship with the same 1 yr warranty. Its on ebay.

I like the 15" MBP very much, bought it used and has served me very well.
I have an 11" 2011 MBA for another location, and I really like the Air, especially for typing, and my needs are not vast, but I do download a lot of pics, not been a problem. The Air is sleek, fast, and plenty of oomph for me at $899.00
a complete no brainer, but they are going quickly.

I'm watching a few of those on e-bay but can't spend till Friday....

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Why not buy the 2012 13 MBP and swap your SSD drive into that one so you save some dough? You can also do the data-doubler and swap the superdrive with your 500gb HD.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hello all,

I'm trying to decide if I should keep my 2007 MBP 15 (4GB Ram, 128GB SSD) or get a 2012 MBA 13.

I mainly use my current MBP for daily tasks (e-mail, web, facebook, etc.) and remote support (I'm a IT hardware tech who needs to occasionally remote into PC/Macs). I'm leaning towards the Air for battery life and portability but $1199 is a bit of change since I already have a functional Mac that works great (sans battery life.

Decisions, Decisions!

there are a million threads like this one so you should do a search and see what other people have to say but i would definitely encourage you to go to an apple store and play with them!

i was in a similar situation as you and all set on the MBA 13" until i went to the fruitstand and actually tried them out.

The MBA13" is awesome - but for my purposes I decided that the 11" is the one for me.

ultimately the debate for was between the 11" MBA and the 15" RMBP

there isn't a huge weight difference between the 13" MBA and the 13" RMBP (which is about .5 lbs heavier) and the 13" RMBP actually has a slightly smaller footprint than than the 13" MBA believe it or not.

While the 13" RMBP is obviously a "better" (read more powerful) computer than the 13" MBA, i don't think it's as good a deal in terms of what you get for what you pay. So that made the 13" MBA the one i was leaning towards...until i played with the 11"

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
A little over a year ago I had the same dilemma replacing my 2008 15" MBP/4GB/160GB HD. I got the 13" MBA and have been delighted with it ever since. CPU almost twice as fast the the old MBP and the new ones are even faster. Screen physically smaller but the same number of pixels as the old 15" MBP so everything feels very familiar.

Having done some travel recently, I might have been even happier with an 11" MBA however. At home, it's always connected to an external monitor and keyboard so it wouldn't be any different from my 13" MBA. But the smaller machine would be even nicer on the road (although the 13" ain't bad either). :)

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
It's funny a few who go for the 13'MBA end up with the 11" me now I am ending up with both. The 13" at the $899.00 is just stinging with value, remember the very 1st Air ?, wasn't it like $1799.00 :eek:

I just wonder what the price of the retina is going to do, my guess go down, and the newer Airs will probably have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.