Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipadmini1.jpg
Digitimes is reporting that Apple is set to cut shipments of iPad mini in the second quarter of 2013, according to its industry sources.

The cut is said to be a 20% reduction for the month of April, with steeper cuts potentially following in the remainder of the quarter, although the report does not specify whether the cuts are relative to previous production plans or to current-quarter output.
Apple has reportedly cut its shipments of the iPad mini to between 10-12 million units for the second quarter of 2013, according to industry sources. The figure is based on shipment information given from multiple sources who provide various components for Apple's iPad mini.

The decrease may be as high as 20% on month during April, the sources noted, and may continue to slightly decrease throughout the quarter to bring total shipments of the iPad mini to as low as 10 million units during the quarter.
The move comes two weeks after Apple started offering refurbished iPad minis on sale for the first time and may be tied to Apple devoting resources to the production of the next-generation iPad mini. The report claims, however, that competition from 7-inch tablets may also be playing a role.

Rumors of production cuts for Apple products are always difficult to put much stock into, as Apple's internal build plans are fluid as the company manages its nimble supply chain to adjust for demand and product transitions.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has also cautioned against reading too much into supply chain reports, noting that the company has multiple sources for many components and that yield rates may vary over time, meaning that supply chain reports typically offer incomplete pictures of Apple's production situation.

DisplaySearch analyst Paul Semenza speculated that, based on supply chain data, the next-generation iPad mini would be released in the third or fourth quarter of 2013. Reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also predicted a third-quarter release for the next iPad mini.

The next iPad mini has been rumored to include a Retina display with a resolution of 2048 x 1536, which would give it the same number of pixels as the full-sized iPad but with a higher-density 324 pixels per inch. However, iMore's Rene Ritchie, who has also been relatively accurate, has predicted earlier this month that an interim spec-bumped iPad mini could launch in April and claimed that a Retina display iPad mini doesn't "sound imminent."

Article Link: Apple Cutting iPad Mini Shipments in Q2 2013 to Prepare for Next Generation?

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
Cook is bluffing.

Clearly, this is because nobody wants the iPad mini over those hot 7" tablets with superior specs. /s
No really, the next generation iPad mini is obvious. Hopefully with a retina display?

Last edited:

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
Mac Pro.

Just...Mac Pro. K?

Do you actually use or plan on using one? Just asking since I also feel the urge to complain about the Mac Pro not coming out even though I'm set on keeping my 2008 one for a long time ;)

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
is it still a good time to buy an ipad mini? was considering a 16gb ipad mini with 50 dollar staples coupon

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Do you actually use or plan on using one? Just asking since I also feel the urge to complain about the Mac Pro not coming out even though I'm set on keeping my 2008 one for a long time ;)

I plan on buying one. Logic says I'll most likely use it, though I've bought some things in the past and have not used them one bit.

Weegee1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2013
I plan on buying one. Logic says I'll most likely use it, though I've bought some things in the past and have not used them one bit.

OK. If I was buying a new one, I'd be totally PO'd at Apple right now.

----------

is it still a good time to buy an ipad mini? was considering a 16gb ipad mini with 50 dollar staples coupon

Isn't Staples $50 more expensive anyway?
Either way, if you're willing to wait another 1 or 2 months, I'd recommend waiting.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Can we stop regurgitating DigiTimes' "news" please? How many times do they have to be wrong before sites smarten up and start ignoring them??

TheBozo

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Pro. Mac Pro.

my wating list is all about the Pro line of hardware and sofware.

Logic Pro X please...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I bought and subsequently returned an iPad Mini because of two factors:

1. It was obvious that the screen was not as good as the retina iPad.

2. AT&T won't allow the Mini to be a Hotspot unless you get the highest data plan or a shared data plan.

Now I am still unlimited on my iPhone so I have not opted to go for a shared family plan.

While I have an iPad 2 that is pretty much adopted by the kids, and I know the Mini is the same resolution on a smaller screen, so a greater PPI, I am spoiled by my retina iPhone and will wait for the iPad Mini with Retina. I would prefer the smaller and lighter form factor over the full size iPad.

Here's to holding out a few more months.

johnnielse

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Can we stop regurgitating DigiTimes' "news" please? How many times do they have to be wrong before sites smarten up and start ignoring them??

Who is accurate then? Mingchi Kuo? Yes, very often. You know he is part of Digitimes, right? http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/profile/person?personId=1482370110&targetid=profile

They have had a lot of misses but also some spot-on claims that the Apple movement seems to have forgotten. It has basically become the "hip" thing to say. DigiTimes is useless, DigiTimes is stupid, bla bla bla. ;)

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Man Apple needs to come out with more than 1 new iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone a year. Does anyone remember when they were a computer company?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
It will be so cool if I can get a new iPad Mini for my birthday in July!

It would be even better if someone else would pay for it :)

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
We all know what coming. Retina iPad mini.

Basically, the device the should have come out the first time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.