Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyndane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
I have a December 2012 i5 Mac Mini with 4GB ram and 500Gb internal HDD, which i use as my entertainment centre, connected to my 46 inch HDTV by HDMI.

I have a large iTunes TV show collection spanning 2 1TB WD Fire Wire 800 linked external drives.

These drives are almost full and i am considering a 4TB external drive for my iTunes library.

Should i purchase a USB3.0 or a Fire Wire 800 compatible drive?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have a December 2012 i5 Mac Mini with 4GB ram and 500Gb internal HDD, which i use as my entertainment centre, connected to my 46 inch HDTV by HDMI.

I have a large iTunes TV show collection spanning 2 1TB WD Fire Wire 800 linked external drives.

These drives are almost full and i am considering a 4TB external drive for my iTunes library.

USB 3 is far more universal now than FW 800. USB 3 is also faster than FW 800. Given these two pieces of info, you can hopefully make a good choice.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

If you can open the enclosures it might be a good idea to just exchange the drives only.
FW is plenty fast enough for the way you use them.

Cyndane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Australia
If you can open the enclosures it might be a good idea to just exchange the drives only.
FW is plenty fast enough for the way you use them.

I don't think they are, they are not advertised as user serviceable....

I've been looking at a 4TB Western Digital USB3.0 drive, but it only has 1 usb connector, and i don't think you can loop drives like you can the fire wire 800, when the drive has two ports.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

I've been looking at a 4TB Western Digital USB3.0 drive, but it only has 1 usb connector, and i don't think you can loop drives like you can the fire wire 800, when the drive has two ports.

Yup, you can chain FW, not USB.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
As im using a Drobo for my iTunes library, at around 6TB and growing, i can say it doesn't matter, the Drobo is shared of the back of a Time Capsule using USB2 and its ample fast enough to stream 2 HD streams (one to an Apple TV and one to another device in the house) as well as being used to store my Steam Library for my PC (can play and stream with no problems)

Unless your going to be streaming multiple super highdef (4k +) or uncompressed 25gb bluerays with a stupidly high bit rate either will do, but USB is more "universal"

----------

Yup, you can chain FW, not USB.

You can chain USB using these things called USB hubs :D

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
USB3 can be far FAR faster.

IMPORTANT:
You need a USB3 enclosure that has either an
ASMedia 1051e Controller chip
or an
ASMedia 1053 Controller chip

Either of these will support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) for faster performance on UASP capable systems (that includes Macs with USB3).

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
They always are. Never found one that was not tweakable. You might damage the box, but the controller is what it is all about.
USB3 can be far FAR faster.
Can be, but USB 3 is irrelevant for the TS need for storage:
- The reading speed is no issue: playing movies only needs 20-50 mbit. Music playing fits on USB1!
- The writing speed of any +2 Gb drive is low (the fast ones are the smaller ones up to 1-1.5 Tb), about the same as FW800 bus rate, and FW is easier on the processor so works better in the background. Filling the drive is the biggest problem, and USB3 won't outperform FW800 in this case.
And the writing is probably a one-time event: the initial filling of the drive. The adding of new titles is not a big issue.

So: try to open the case and replace the HD's. You can pick the exact ones you like, and the price is lower. Although: cheap USB3 all-in-ones might be comparable in price to loose drives, but then you don't know what is inside.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So this external case would be a good option?
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=18938"

I DO NOT thinnk that case would be a good option for you.

I don't think you should consider RAID. When it works, it's fine, but if something goes wrong with any of the drives in the setup, you could have BIG trouble if you don't also maintain a backup of your RAID array.

You could probably just open the external enclosures you have now, pull the drives out, and use them with USB3/SATA "docking stations".

There are "dual docks" that can support two drives (non-RAID'ed), such as the Thermaltake "Blac-x Duet".

Actually, you might do better just picking up 2 good-quality USB3/SATA "single" docks, perhaps something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG

Cheap, easy-to-setup-and-use, and having the second dock makes it EASY to transfer material quickly from one drive to another.

Compared to what you posted above, did I say, "cheap"?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
A word of warning about the 2012 Mac Mini and USB 3 devices. You may need to buy a shielding kit from OWC because the 2012 Mac Mini appears to be overtly sensitive to bluetooth interference caused by USB 3 devices.

Check out this OWC blogpost before buying an external enclosure and be sure to read the heated comments in that thread, as well. They provide some clarification of the scope of the problem.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"according to the amazon page of the above dock. "*NOTE* 2012 Mac Mini and 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display are currently not recommended for use with this product""

The earlier version of the plugable.com USB3 docks used a Lucent controller chip that had problems with sleep and disconnection.

The new versions use an ASMedia chip (either 1051e or 1053), and no longer have such problems.

I think their page needs to be updated.

I've been using a plugable.com USB3/SATA dock for a couple of months now, doing duty as my "external booter" with an Intel SSD, and have had ZERO problems with it. Great piece of equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.