Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I know there is the four finger swipe in a Trackpad from the bottom to top where it'll show you the open applications and you then click what you want to go to. It still takes a bit of work to do especially if you're bouncing in and out of your mail and Safari a lot. How do you navigate through your open apps easier?

Do people set up a easier keyboard or gesture shortcut via BTT?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know there is the four finger swipe in a Trackpad from the bottom to top where it'll show you the open applications and you then click what you want to go to. It still takes a bit of work to do especially if you're bouncing in and out of your mail and Safari a lot. How do you navigate through your open apps easier?

Do people set up a easier keyboard or gesture shortcut via BTT?
If you're bouncing between 2 apps such as Mail and Safari, Command-Tab is a very quick way to switch between the two. I also set up a hot corner to show all windows with a simple move of the mouse.

Hungry&Foolish

Suspended
Mar 29, 2012
The easiest way to switch to another open application is to hold down Command + Tab and continually press Tab to cycle through the active applications. The Shift key can be used to cycle through in the opposite direction.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
The easiest way to switch to another open application is to hold down Command + Tab and continually press Tab to cycle through the active applications. The Shift key can be used to cycle through in the opposite direction.
Can I do something similar like this with a gesture in the Trackpad? What would the action be? I'm thinking something like a swipe from the top to left and/or right to toggle between open apps would be cool. I would rather a gesture than messing about with a combination of keys :mad::p

Thx for the reply guys

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I have hot corners set in BTT, all single clicks or taps. Left corner is Safari, right is email, upper left is App Store and upper right is Itunes. Works great, the click or tap will either open the app if it is closed or switch to the app if it is open.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Command+Tab IS the easiest IMO. Straight to the point.

Mission Control, Hot Corners, Gestures, etc. All are just eye candy. LOL

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
A four finger horizontal swipe on the track pad will easily take you from ap to ap or desktop to desktop.

I always have email, safari, calendar and iTunes open in full-screen mode on adjacent desktops, always in the same order. It is therefore very fast and easy to just swipe over to the one I want.

The control + arrow keyboard technique is probably the next easiest way.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
This is one of my frustrations with the Mac. Command-Tab doesn't work exactly the same as it does on the PC (Alt-Tab).

In Windows, doing such switching always brings the current window to foreground regardless of it's state. In OS X, this isn't always so.

For instance, right now as I am typing this reply, I have only Safari, 1Password and of course, the Finder open. But as I Command-Tab around, no matter which I choose, the Safari window is always on top in the foreground. Why? Because the other two applications windows are minimized. I understand the logic here but this is not expected functionality as far as I'm concerned.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I prefer a mouse over the trackpad on my iMac, but even when I did have an MBP, I just used hot corners. No brainer.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I do! On my Air I have a 13" screen so often run all programs full screen. On my iMac with the extra real estate I typically use smaller windows which negates the need for gestures or shortcuts between programs, at least to a certain extent.

Crazy. :D

Well, in that case, yes, four fingers will do the trick.

I'm going to guess, though, that most people don't full-screen their apps. :p

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Mouse in my right hand, Trackpad for my left hand and wireless keyboard in the middle... gestures, keyboard shortcuts, and pointer helps me get around the work day

Also, a lot of people like this: http://qsapp.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.