Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published an Apple patent application (via AppleInsider) offering an interesting glimpse at the possibility of an iPhone or other mobile device using a flexible display contained within a transparent body body such as a glass tube or other shape. The display would be able to wraparound the sides and even rear of the device as needed in order to provide more viewable area.
iphone_wraparound_display_1.jpg
This paper describes various embodiments that relate to an apparatus, method, and computer readable medium for creating a portable electronic device with a wraparound display.

In one embodiment, a consumer electronic product is described. The consumer electronic product includes at least a transparent housing and a flexible display assembly enclosed within the transparent housing. In the described embodiment, the flexible display assembly is configured to present visual content at any portion of the transparent housing.
iphone_wraparound_display_2.jpg
Alternative device shapes
As part of the patent application, Apple explores a variety of options for such devices, including multiple form factors and the potential use of a second inner display underneath a transparent outer display to provide the illusion of 3D content. Apple also suggests the possibility of interchangeable end caps to fit specific situations, including joining multiple devices together to make a single larger screen.

iphone_wraparound_display_3.jpg
The patent application, which was filed in September 2011, is credited solely to Apple product design engineer Scott Myers. The concept of a flexible wraparound display for the iPhone or other mobile device is reminiscent of another Apple patent application which surfaced last month showing a slap bracelet accessory with a wraparound display that could clearly serve as a smart watch. Myers was one of three Apple engineers credited on that patent application, which was filed in August 2011.

Article Link: Apple Researching iPhone Designs With Flexible Wraparound Displays

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
i dont care if they can make one that you can fold, id rather work on a flat display then a curved one!

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
A Flexible display, curved glass, new A5 chip that is extremely power conserving. The old iPod Nano with iOS-like interfaces and a watch mode discontinued and replaced by a candy-bar iPod nano.

What in the world could Apple be working on?

It's almost like there is some kind of iPod watch thingy that will bridge between your iPhone/iPod touch and maybe even be a standalone nano-type wearable iPod or something.

Nah. Apple doesn't actually invent or innovate anything.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Amoled?

I thought that Apple hated AMOLED?

From Engadget and patent.

"The patent involves building a device from an open-ended transparent body (of glass, for example) that becomes a full wrap-around display when a flexible AMOLED screen"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/apple-patent-wrap-around-amoled-display/

Funny how MacRumors left this notable feature out of the article.

Apple CEO Tim Cook takes a dig at Samsung with talk of 'poor' AMOLED screens.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/02/20/tim-cook-does-not-like-oled-but-spends-money-on-it/

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Would this type of tech require some form of OLED display?

I still remember SJ crapping on OLEDs with the release of iPhone 4. He was on stage and said something along the lines of "You'll never get a display like this with OLEDs!" It sounded so out of place like he was going out of the his way to diss it.. as if the big mean OLED maker took his toys away from the sandbox and went home.

Would this be another example of Apple being against a technology before they were for it? :confused:

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I thought that Apple hated AMOLED?

From Engadget and patent.

"The patent involves building a device from an open-ended transparent body (of glass, for example) that becomes a full wrap-around display when a flexible AMOLED screen"

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/apple-patent-wrap-around-amoled-display/

Funny how MacRumors left this notable feature out of the article.

That's because Samsung has soooo many patents with AMOLED. What's funny is many fanboys prefer IPS displays. I wonder what will happen if Apple does implement AMOLED. I've got so many posts saved....yes I'm that sad!:D

----------

Samsung seems to have others...

samsung-flexible-bracelet-device-patent-img_assist-250x317.jpg

flexscreen.jpeg

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
That reminds me of the 4th- and 5th-generation iPod nano.

HT1353_31.jpg

HT1353_nano5g.jpg

-----

That would be nice but I'm still wondering what a curved (glass) display on a phone would do.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
God, the usability looks awful, especially of the lead image. Why would I want to look at and interact with a screen that is so sharply convex? Other than looking cool, it seems to be lousy in every way that matters.

Of course I do not necessarily expect Apple to ever build anything quite like that, but damn that seems like a terrible design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.