Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy iPad mini 2 if it has a Retina Display?

• Yes, if it has other upgrades as well (camera, processor, battery etc.)

Votes: 58 38.9%
  • Yes, even if the internals are not upgraded.

Votes: 30 20.1%
  • Yes! I didn't buy the iPad mini 1 because it had no Retina Display.

Votes: 41 27.5%
  • No, I am happy with my iPad mini 1.

Votes: 17 11.4%
  • No, I don't care about Retina.

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I'll be honest - I'd rather have 20% more battery life than retina. For me, the screen is not pixelated. I like having 30-40% of my battery life left at the end of a full day of use. I'm perfectly happy with my ipad mini 1

Edit: my answer is no I'm not buying it.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I'll be honest - I'd rather have 20% more battery life than retina. For me, the screen is not pixelated. I like having 30-40% of my battery life left at the end of a full day of use. I'm perfectly happy with my ipad mini 1

Edit: my answer is no I'm not buying it.

Well, everyone has their preferences. I didn't buy the iPad mini 1 because it didn't have a Retina Display so I am waiting for Retina. I will use the iPad to hold about 18,000 photos and counting (I am a photographer) so I would like the screen to be really high res. Besides the Retina full sized iPad and the Retina MacBook Pro (I own one of each) the iPad mini Retina would be the only other mobile device capable of showing my photos in full res. (I shoot with a Nikon D7000)

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Right, different users/people - different needs

Well, everyone has their preferences. I didn't buy the iPad mini 1 because it didn't have a Retina Display so I am waiting for Retina. I will use the iPad to hold about 18,000 photos and counting (I am a photographer) so I would like the screen to be really high res. Besides the Retina full sized iPad and the Retina MacBook Pro (I own one of each) the iPad mini Retina would be the only other mobile device capable of showing my photos in full res. (I shoot with a Nikon D7000)

Also this post - among a bunch of others - makes it perfectly clear that different people have different needs and preferences. Therefore, iPad Mini as it now is, may be the best for many also in the future, with a retina alternative will be available. We will find out, and the essential features concerning weight, battery time and form factor are for many people of utmost importance, and the screen (not-retina) is not a crucial point, because the actual screen is good enough for their vision, purpose and needs.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I’m on the fence about this. I went from an iPad 3 to a mini, hated the screen after about a week of use, returned it, then upgraded to the 4. I love the 4; it’s fast, smooth, and that screen is gorgeous.

If the Mini 2 comes out with retina, it will be a huge temptation because I did really like the size and weight of it. But the 4 is such a great device, I’m not sure if I’ll jump. I’ll probably end up just upgrading to the 5 or waiting til the 6, in all honesty.

MauerFan

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Will you buy the iPad mini 2 if it has a Retina Display?

I'm probably getting a Mini this weekend, and I'll unlikely upgrade, at least not right away. The retina would be awesome, but I'm currently on a 2012 cMBP so I haven't had the pleasure of using a retina device.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
I was on the fence since the original iPad came out. A couple weeks ago I finally bought an iPad mini not being sure if I would use it as much, I kind of saw it and still see it is a big iPhone that can't make calls. Now that I have the mini(I bought the lowest GB one with no cellular) I think that I will get the new one with cellular.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I might get one if both the retina display is included *and* a significant processor bump to drive that display properly. I feel like the iPad 3 had such a short life because Apple realized they really needed more processing power.

I like my iPad 3, but it jitters a bit at times so I'm definitely not repeating that experience again.

jkimbro0316

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Central Florida
Yes, my iPad 3 was recently stolen and am definitely looking at the mini for a replacement. But I'm not about to sacrifice the retina display for the smaller form factor. It's gonna be a tough decision for me if they do not include a retina in the 2nd generation model. I might be forced to go with a full sized again, something I don't want to do :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm pretty much content with my iPad mini, and given the price that I paid. I'll be hard pressed to replace it so soon.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
My answer is: yes. That is because I don't own an iPad mini now and I like idevice with Retine display, so I prepare to get one for protable enjoy.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This is a no brainier for me partly because of the 329 price point. I love my mini, but would definitely get a retina mini. Of course, one caveat is that the retina mini must retain the same battery life and roughly the same size and weight.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I will buy a retina equipped Mini immediately upon release.

I don't care about anything else. Any upgrades or changes will be nice, but I really don't care. It does what I need it to now, but with a bit of eye strain simply because I read so much.

I'm used to my Paperwhite Kindle for reading, which is far superior to any other e-reader or tablet.

In second place (for reading) is my iPad 4.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Have an ipad2 so not having retina won't be a killer for me. I'd like it to have a good spec bump though. However if the gen1 cellular model gets a good price reduction when the gen2 is released I may be tempted to go that route

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You don't have an option for me, which is, No, I've decided I like the bigger screen size of the regular iPad, so I'm waiting for the regular iPad to get lighter. Even if the next mini gets a retina screen, I simply like a bigger screen, period.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Well I have an iPad retina now... so I don't see the use in buying a smaller version of the same thing I have now...

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The mini for me would be an excellent tool for use as a multi-media remote at home, possibly for VOIP usage and as a reader for late night. I would like to see a retina version come out and of course a bit more power and other goodies.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Depends. If the battery life is good, it's worth considering. Otherwise I'm happy with my iPad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.