Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
[I know there is this other thread about how big their iTunes storage is, but that is full of their own "personal" sources.]
I'm more interested in those who really invested in the Apple Ecosystem - the iTunes Store. When you use your ATV, you have the purchased movies, tvshows, music section - I'm interested in that.

Looking at my iCloud now:
You can only get the true figure by clicking "Purchased" under QUICK LINKS on the right section of the "iTunes Store".

Music: 642
Movies: 354
TV Shows:1245

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
For me it is 2-3TB with just video content in 1080p - all stuff purchased from iTunes

Music: 835 Songs

Movies: 277 (buy a few every week - started a little over a year ago)

TV Shows: 67 Shows - many of those complete series including Chuck, West Wing, Friends, How I Met Your Mother - 1159 Episodes in Total

(Apps: iPhone 1020, iPad 796)

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Hmm... Let's take a look...

Music: 575 songs
Movies: 43
TV Shows: 192 Seasons, 3323 episodes

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
So good to hear so many responses! Thanks for participating.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Songs - 284
Movies - 53 (However, this can be a bit deceiving, since many are redeemed Digital Copies)
TV Shows - 113 Shows, 670 episodes
Apps - iPhone - 608, iPad - 368

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I've got seven, but they're all digital copies I received from Blu-Rays that I've purchased.

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
updating my stats for this week (03/28):
music: 646
movies: 381
tvshows: 1250

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Music: 288 songs
Movies: 38
TV Shows: 51 seasons / 155 episodes

though, i switched the Apple ID i use for iTunes a few years ago, which I'm guessing had about 2000 songs. i don't think there are any Movies or TV Shows in there. Someday, i hope Apple will allow me to merge my Apple IDs.

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
27 movies bought in 8 days?! Wow! :eek:
Care to share what you've bought over the past week?

Some of them are iTunes digital copies.

My recent purchase was the Moulin Rouge that I bought today(rather yesterday), it was only $9.99!

Last edited:

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
which way to go?

I am at a bit of a crossroads. Currently i have a few BR discs and

about 10 iTunes movies. I am going to start to grow my collection but unsure

what way to go. I know the obvious sound improvements of BR over iTunes

but the convenience of movies in iTunes is so appealing. I could rip the BR's

and stick them in iTunes but that is a bit of a pain and time consuming. There is

also the 3D issue and if that will take off and if i even want to be part of it

:confused:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

and stick them in iTunes but that is a bit of a pain and time consuming. There is

It really depends on how much content you buy - I tend to pick up a new movie or two every week and realized how undoable that would be if these movies were physical things I had to store. (in the past year I've built my collection up to over 300 iTunes movies and countless TV seasons).

My old DVD collection is still at my parents house and it takes up over a bookcase of room - this is not something I wanted to do again with BluRay. (Finding the DVDs is a hard thing with the amount I have.)

Apple has improved their customer experience by continuing to restream/redownload movies that are removed from the iTunes Store - example Aliens, which is not in the store is still accessible via iTunes in the Cloud. So the security is there for me - the studios can be idiots and I'll still have access to the content. I can't imagine a future, where iTunes goes away - it is possible, but of all the content providers iTunes seems the most likely to live on. I can't see a future where Ultraviolet survives into the next decade.

Anyways - I buy 99% of my content from iTunes - I do own a BluRay player to own a handful of very select titles. Most of the times these are titles with tons of extras or titles that aren't available on iTunes. I wish everything was in iTunes, but until that time I'll have my BluRay player for the few that require it.

Hope this helps - it depends greatly on how many you see yourself owning as storing/locating movies can be a problem and how important extras and the other perks BR has to offer.

I prefer the ease of access/instant delivery/and access on Apple hardware - I prefer to watch my content on the Apple TV and iPad - iTunes makes that easy.

Sorry for the long answer, but hopefully its helpful.

----------

Some of them are iTunes digital copies.

My recent purchase was the Moulin Rouge that I bought today(rather yesterday), it was only $9.99!

Yea - I like buy a movie or two a week and get rather excited on Tuesday to see what the weekly deals are - most weeks there are a number of $10 HD titles - this week I picked up Phantom of the Opera (on sale) and Lincoln.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010

I also feel I am at a crossroads as to whether I want to purchase iTunes movies or not. For those of you who feel "safe" buying 1 or 2 movies a week - aren't you at all worried that one day you will want to switch to something other than Apple but you will find you can't because because that's where your collection is? Or what if the studios, who want Ultraviolet to succeed, decide to pull their films from iTumes because Apple refuses to get on board? It seems that for digital movies UV is the safer bet, but lord knows I like the Apple ecosystem much better...

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I also feel I am at a crossroads as to whether I want to purchase iTunes movies or not. For those of you who feel "safe" buying 1 or 2 movies a week - aren't you at all worried that one day you will want to switch to something other than Apple but you will find you can't because because that's where your collection is? Or what if the studios, who want Ultraviolet to succeed, decide to pull their films from iTumes because Apple refuses to get on board? It seems that for digital movies UV is the safer bet, but lord knows I like the Apple ecosystem much better...

Not at all - like I said previously - there is a new agreement in place with Apple and the content providers that allow Apple to stream/redownload content even when the movie is pulled from the store. This is a new change as of a few months ago. I continue to have access to Aliens and Anchorman even though they are not sold anymore.

I also don't see a future where I'd want to switch away from Apple hardware/software - UV is a mess and I'd wager the movie studios to launch a different technology that isn't UV compatible in the next decade rather than Apple pulling anything stupid.

I trust Apple more than I trust the idiots owning the content (which don't have any clue what consumers want).

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Also, you have to remember that this is just another distribution medium. We have VHS fro about two decades, DVD has lasted about 15 years so far, and now, we're transitioning to digital files/streaming. We're on the leading edge of this, so I figure we're set for 10 to 15 years, and then, it will be a matter of converting to the next medium. (purchasing content again or converting the Apple content that is obsolete/deprecated at that point.

No medium will ever truly be the "last" one you have to buy. Things change. That's how the content providers keep making money.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Music - 538
Films - 3 (all 12 days of Christmas freebies)
TV Programmes - 6 (all 12 days of Christmas freebies)

I buy my music from iTunes, Amazon MP3 or on CD. Out of the 15 albums I've bought this year, 3 were downloaded from iTunes, 3 downloaded from Amazon and 9 on CD. I pick and choose whatever offers the best value for money.

I don't buy any films or TV programmes off iTunes.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Music: 977 (Coming up on 1,000 - Can't believe it!)

Movies: 48

TV Show: 26

Apps: 617

Books: 12

Did not realize I spent THAT much in iTunes!!! Geeze!

:):apple::)

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Also, you have to remember that this is just another distribution medium. We have VHS fro about two decades, DVD has lasted about 15 years so far, and now, we're transitioning to digital files/streaming. We're on the leading edge of this, so I figure we're set for 10 to 15 years, and then, it will be a matter of converting to the next medium. (purchasing content again or converting the Apple content that is obsolete/deprecated at that point.

No medium will ever truly be the "last" one you have to buy. Things change. That's how the content providers keep making money.

I agree with what you said. However...
The comment is very vague, it's neither here nor there.. Is it meant to be an educated reminder? Because I'd assume people who'd dig into this - would already know(or might have already known).

So are you... Not into buying any digital contents? or we're right now at the forefront of digital content and therefore it is a good time to get into it? or one shouldnt because there's going to be something new in the future?

It's like buying a TV/Player/iPhone/etc., there's no "last" one...
If I don't get into it and be comfortable with what I'd want - I'd be living with my cathode(?) TV, VHS(?) player, a landline(?) telephone[instead of a cell]... waiting for that elusive "last" one.

..I'm just saying..

Last edited:

wzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013

u'd hit two birds with a stone with Bluray titles that come with iTunes digital copies (now that some redeems in HD). There, two collections, Bluray and iTunes Movies.

Personally for me, it's about balance. There's a limit to what I'd buy - like if I had bought a title on a DVD, I don't think I'd want to buy it in Bluray unless I really love it.
For example, 3D, I own the Finding Nemo in 3D, it comes with a SD iTunes digital movie. I don't think I'd invest extra in iTunes to get Finding Nemo in HD.

& Yes, I agree with you - the convenience of movies in iTunes (in the iCloud) is indeed appealing.

crhendo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Movies 626
TV Shows 5342
Songs 5817

OK, so I'm an addict BUT we have been buying since the very beginning :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.