Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
I have a 15" mid 2012 MacBook Pro Classic, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8G RAM, 256G SSD HD, OS X 10.8.3. I notice when I click on downloads, the file instantly begins downloading without prompting me to save it somewhere. All the previous Safari preferences gave me the option of choosing where I wanted the files downloaded. What gives? :confused:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you click on a file to be downloaded, it goes in the ..... Downloads folder.

If you want to save it somewhere else, right-click and select "Download Linked File As...."

"Save As...." saves the currently displayed file, either as an HTML file, or a webarchive, which also contains the images, so you can look at the whole thing while offline.

It has been like this for a long time.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
If you click on a file to be downloaded, it goes in the ..... Downloads folder.

If you want to save it somewhere else, right-click and select "Download Linked File As...."

It has been like this for a long time.

You're right. I just realized that I never download large (expensive) files in Safari because it didn't allow me the option of choosing where to save my files with left click. In Firefox, under Preferences > General, it gives the option to "Ask me where to save files." I don't have that option in Safari. So one wrong click in Safari and I have accidentally downloaded an expensive file that I must pay for, which is very annoying. :(

Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You're right. I just realized that I never download large (expensive) files in Safari ... So one wrong click in Safari and I have accidentally downloaded an expensive file that I must pay for, which is very annoying
If you are charged per Megabyte, you can always stop a download while it's in progress. Assuming that your connection is not too fast, of course. But super-fast connections don't tend to charge per Mb.

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
If you are charged per Megabyte, you can always stop a download while it's in progress. Assuming that your connection is not too fast, of course. But super-fast connections don't tend to charge per Mb.

I meant files that I purchase online for my work.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I meant files that I purchase online for my work.

:confused:

Then there is something seriously wrong somewhere, which site allows you to download without a login or buy option???

I never ever clicked just a link and it downloads< I know iTunes store has something like the one click download but that can be disabled and is your own fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.