Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Should I buy the iPad 4 now in May or should I wait and buy the next one?

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Wait, save up all your money, and go with the iPad 7, 256GB.

It will be way better than the 4, the 5, and even the 6.

I actually agree with this.
It will be the lighter, thinner form factor and a new faster chip.

the gen6 will most likely just be lighter and thinner.

If you want to buy now- go for a ipad 3- great deals and just as good as the 4.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Should I buy the iPad 4 now in May or should I wait and buy the next one?

Don't fall into the trap of 'something better could come out'. It will. There will always been something new, potentially better etc on the horizon. If you wrap your head around having the latest and greatest at all times you'll either never get anything or you'll turn into one of those angry people screaming about obsolescence even though whatever you have will still work in two years, five years even.

Do you have a need for an iPad now. Does the current model fit your needs?

If yes and yes and you have the money, just buy the dang thing.

If you don't have a real need for it but you want it cause everyone's got an iPad, don't buy it. don't buy the next ten if you don't have a need for it. save your money for something else or just save it to set it aside for when the day comes that you do have that need. And then get whatever there is at that time. When all your friends are snickering cause they have a generation 15 that isn't really any better than your generation 12 at least you can snicker back that unlike them you paid cash and didn't have to put your nuts in hock for something you barely use.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Which one would you buy, 16gb or 32gb or 64gb. What will you use it for? You need it or want it?

No indication anything new is forthcoming soon if that is your concern.

Rapha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
I would buy the 64 GB and it's for school use... but from a few threads ago now I don't know if I should buy the 3 or the 4

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I would buy the 64 GB and it's for school use... but from a few threads ago now I don't know if I should buy the 3 or the 4

Go with the 3. The price wont drop a whole lot more when the 5 comes out. However the 4 will drop drastically.

That is what I would do anyways.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Go with the 3. The price wont drop a whole lot more when the 5 comes out. However the 4 will drop drastically.

That is what I would do anyways.

The 3 sold for $449 when the 4 was announced and released. The 3 is pretty much off retailer shelves now. I do not expect the 4 to drop drastically so nor should it on the used market.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Which one would you buy, 16gb or 32gb or 64gb. What will you use it for? You need it or want it?

No indication anything new is forthcoming soon if that is your concern.

A raft of leaks, mass advertsing of the ipad 4 suggests there is something coming.

April or June.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
The 3 sold for $449 when the 4 was announced and released. The 3 is pretty much off retailer shelves now. I do not expect the 4 to drop drastically so nor should it on the used market.

I'm sorry. I can't read apparently. I was referring to the used market. Although he is looking for a 64 GB. That will be a lot cheaper as a used ipad 3 then used 4. If it is new the same applies. At the iPad 3 level you can buy it for a decent discount. I have seen the 64GB iPad 3 for around $500.

Just what I would do in the same situation. But then again I'm waiting for the 5 to come out. :)

Last edited:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
A raft of leaks, mass advertsing of the ipad 4 suggests there is something coming.

April or June.

What raft of leaks? The only thing that was shown was a case for the 5, and case makers are just as dumb as everyone else. Remember when cases pointed to an iPhone 5 with beveled edges?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Don't fall into the trap of 'something better could come out'. It will. There will always been something new, potentially better etc on the horizon. If you wrap your head around having the latest and greatest at all times you'll either never get anything or you'll turn into one of those angry people screaming about obsolescence even though whatever you have will still work in two years, five years even.

Do you have a need for an iPad now. Does the current model fit your needs?

If yes and yes and you have the money, just buy the dang thing.

If you don't have a real need for it but you want it cause everyone's got an iPad, don't buy it. don't buy the next ten if you don't have a need for it. save your money for something else or just save it to set it aside for when the day comes that you do have that need. And then get whatever there is at that time. When all your friends are snickering cause they have a generation 15 that isn't really any better than your generation 12 at least you can snicker back that unlike them you paid cash and didn't have to put your nuts in hock for something you barely use.

I think this is great advice.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Okay, a leak, singular.

That is not correct. There is the rear shell i've provided you with, and the 3rd part cases matching that rear shell. That's leaks, plural.

There were not many leaks with the Mini, if at all.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Does not mean anything is coming out soon so stop misleading people. And would you like to bet cause I am sure there will be many takers. You are purely speculating with no viable sources stating anything is coming soon.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Many analysts speculate that Apple will ship the device sometime in June or July.
SO If I were you, I will wait for the iPad 5. The iPad 3 to iPad 4 did not see much change but it finally looks like we may get a redesign for the iPad and it looks for the better, so iPad 5 may will come with a thinner bezel. Also it may runs on the next-generation A7 processor, much faster than before.

Anyway, it depends on you.

Whobarra

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
California
go online and check bestbuy's open boxes, I just found a 4 Generation iPad 16GB VZW LTE for a huge discount $200 off... $429.99, just search around there is deals out there....

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
always wait... with the recent history of short release cycles, I will only buy a new ipad shortly after a release. Don't second guess though, when it releases buy it.

Of course the current models will work fine after a new model is released, it's a matter of what will happen when you load the latest ios 2.5 years from now... if you wait a couple of months, you may get a product that has a functional life of a year or more longer, and get to at least have the latest greatest for a short window.

Further, moving the mini to retina, or the 5 to a smaller form factor are both very substantial upgrades IMHO. They are upgrades that would cause me to want to sell and rebuy if I had a current model.... unless you want to waste $$, wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.