Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superosky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
So i run my office on a mac mini server 2009 with dual 500 gb hard drives in RAID 0 running SLS with a core 2 duo 2.53 ghz with 4 meg ram. Machine #1

I want to migrate the whole server to a new machine I upgraded which is a mac mini core duo 1.66 with 2 GB ram and dual hard drives gb in RAID 0 as well. Machine #2

So first I just used the Time machine backup from machine 1 and then recreated the drives to machine #2. Everything worked perfectly as machine 2 booted up in SLS with and it looked just like machine #1 except for one thing. The workgroup manager is empty and gives an error code when you log into it.

so then i tried to clone the hard drive from machine #1 using disk utility onto an external hard drive and the cloned that onto machine #2 and the same thing happened again.

I'm considering opening up both mac minis and transplanting one of the hard drives from machine #1 to machine #2 to see if that works however before I do that was wondering if anyone has ideas on why the cloned machine #2 will not copy over the workgroup open directory master information from machine #1.

thanks!:confused:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
^ what he said.

Get a firewire cable, and connect them, and start the #2 machine, and then start up the #1 machine by holding down the T key.

I would then use SuperDuper! to clone the #1 drive to #2. I'm not sure I would trust a Time Machine backup.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm considering opening up both mac minis and transplanting one of the hard drives from machine #1 to machine #2 to see if that works however before I do that was wondering if anyone has ideas on why the cloned machine #2 will not copy over the workgroup open directory master information from machine #1.

You can't just restore an Open Directory Master from a Time Machine backup to another computer and have things work, but there are are a few options. If you're replacing one machine with the other, you can export the directory using Workgroup Manager and import it on the other. For this to work you need to have the same IP address and DNS information set up.
You can also export/import the users and groups but you do lose passwords when you do that. This is what you'd need to do if you're going to keep the existing master online.
Read Apple's documentation as you will get something wrong if you haven't.

superosky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
You can't just restore an Open Directory Master from a Time Machine backup to another computer and have things work, but there are are a few options. If you're replacing one machine with the other, you can export the directory using Workgroup Manager and import it on the other. For this to work you need to have the same IP address and DNS information set up.
You can also export/import the users and groups but you do lose passwords when you do that. This is what you'd need to do if you're going to keep the existing master online.
Read Apple's documentation as you will get something wrong if you haven't.

This is exactly what i want to do....replace one machine with another with the same IP. One question though, how do i export the entire directory in workgroup manager? it appears to give me the option only to export one user at a time. what is the command or procedure to export the entire directory as a whole to another machine?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This is exactly what i want to do....replace one machine with another with the same IP. One question though, how do i export the entire directory in workgroup manager? it appears to give me the option only to export one user at a time. what is the command or procedure to export the entire directory as a whole to another machine?
You archive the directory in WGM under the Open Directory section and then restore that archive in the new machine. The export function is not what you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.