Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Hello, I've been using my rMBP for some gaming and whenever I put my laptop under heavy load, the temperature of the CPU would go insane! Insane as in 93-98 degrees Celsius for the CPU! Though the GPU isn't much trouble, temperatures would NEVER get this hot on Mac OSX! Highest temperature there would be ~79!
Does this have a really big effect on the longevity of my computer? I usually play in large chunks that are about 4-6 hours long, but after I saw the temps I would freak out and not even try to open up any of my games! How can I fix this heating problem? I tried to:
1- Use Lubbo's fan control.
2- Lower the graphics settings.
3- Reinstall Windows 7 (This worked but it was only temporary).
4- Update Windows 7 through Windows Update.
5- Update Mac OSX.

Please guys, I really need a fix, as I am full of worry, anxiety and other (excuse my language) ****. I know that bootcamp is supposed to run hotter. Pretty sure this isn't a hardware problem too. Also, excuse me if I chose the wrong place, as I am fairly new to this website.

Thank you for reading and for any future answers..

Sondrix

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Macbook Pro's run hot, it's normal. When I game the temps can reach 90 degrees. As long as you do the best you can to keep it ventilated. For example having it raised up on a stand and using an external keyboard. Or having a nearby fan turned on. I've had my Macbook Pro for three years now and I used to get worried but till now it still works.

Recently I've built a Windows gaming computer and I am glad I did that because I can have worry-free gaming on PC while doing my work on the Mac.

Edit: Also, in my experience, don't worry too much, you'll waste too much time doing so. Just play and have fun. Maybe get a gaming tower in the future if you save up ...

Last edited:

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Macbook Pro's run hot, it's normal. When I game the temps can reach 90 degrees. As long as you do the best you can to keep it ventilated. For example having it raised up on a stand and using an external keyboard. Or having a nearby fan turned on. I've had my Macbook Pro for three years now and I used to get worried but till now it still works.

Recently I've built a Windows gaming computer and I am glad I did that because I can have worry-free gaming on PC while doing my work on the Mac.

Edit: Also, in my experience, don't worry too much, you'll waste too much time doing so. Just play and have fun. Maybe get a gaming tower in the future if you save up ...

Best answer I might possibly get! You have renewed my faith in both this computer AND PC gaming!! Thanks!! This is gonna be a bit off topic, but, any game recommendations? Must plays? All that good stuff. This machine can run about anything at high on 1920x1200. Simply astonishing! Well, except for Crysis 3, that might melt my computer! (Get what I did there?) :D

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Hello, I've been using my rMBP for some gaming and whenever I put my laptop under heavy load, the temperature of the CPU would go insane! Insane as in 93-98 degrees Celsius for the CPU! Though the GPU isn't much trouble, temperatures would NEVER get this hot on Mac OSX! Highest temperature there would be ~79!
Does this have a really big effect on the longevity of my computer? I usually play in large chunks that are about 4-6 hours long, but after I saw the temps I would freak out and not even try to open up any of my games! How can I fix this heating problem? I tried to:
1- Use Lubbo's fan control.
2- Lower the graphics settings.
3- Reinstall Windows 7 (This worked but it was only temporary).
4- Update Windows 7 through Windows Update.
5- Update Mac OSX.

Please guys, I really need a fix, as I am full of worry, anxiety and other (excuse my language) ****. I know that bootcamp is supposed to run hotter. Pretty sure this isn't a hardware problem too. Also, excuse me if I chose the wrong place, as I am fairly new to this website.

Thank you for reading and for any future answers..

You have a rMBP. Do you have the latest SMC update? (that came out at the same time as 10.8.3? When I installed it mine ran cooler.

I don't run Windows on it or play that many games, however I am forever in PS and Premier and push my mac hard. It runs warm but not over hot.

Your temps are OK, but not ideal, so if you haven't installed the SMC update, it has to be worth a shot.

Have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1559

Sondrix

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Far Cry 3 is a great game. But again I would suggest a stand like the Griffin Laptop Stand with an external keyboard. Or a book or something to prop it up an inch or too

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I wish I could just worry about the temperatures on my RMBP. The SMC update made it worse than it was. I don't get Apple on this, really.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I wish I could just worry about the temperatures on my RMBP. The SMC update made it worse than it was. I don't get Apple on this, really.

Well, decided to give windows another try. Idle temps: pretty normal at 50-66.
Gaming? An inconceivable 101-103 degrees. This issue REALLY needs to be fixed. Any way to get more people to help?

----------

You have a rMBP. Do you have the latest SMC update? (that came out at the same time as 10.8.3? When I installed it mine ran cooler.

I don't run Windows on it or play that many games, however I am forever in PS and Premier and push my mac hard. It runs warm but not over hot.

Your temps are OK, but not ideal, so if you haven't installed the SMC update, it has to be worth a shot.

Have a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1559

System is fully updated. Gave windows another shot and the temps while gaming were 101-103. 4-2 degrees away from shut down. Idle temps pretty normal though..
Wait, dude, apple updated bootcamp didn't they? You think reinstalling windows will help?
I'm seeing other people gaming with temps WAY better than mine on the same machine (70-89 degrees).

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Mine always ran pretty hot while gaming. But I was able to play on 1920x1200 High settings pretty well (as long as I reset the SMC). After the EFI 1.1, the FPS are high and constant but the games just jitter. I'm so mad about this.. €2500 for a laptop that doesn't perform as it's supposed to and Apple does not care.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Mine always ran pretty hot while gaming. But I was able to play on 1920x1200 High settings pretty well (as long as I reset the SMC). After the EFI 1.1, the FPS are high and constant but the games just jitter. I'm so mad about this.. €2500 for a laptop that doesn't perform as it's supposed to and Apple does not care.

I know! Same here! Do you mean jitter as in stuttering? If yes, it's probably because the CPU is giving LESS performance due to the high temps! We really need to get this problem out to the people! Try opening threads in other sites like this and try to find a fix! I'll report here when I'm on to something!

UPDATE:
But look on the bright side! The problem is pretty much exclusive to bootcamp. Meaning it CAN be fixed!

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Yes, it stutters. Right now I have FIFA 13 and Assassin's Creed 2 installed. Assassin's is pretty much playable since it's a 2009 game but FIFA just stutters on the quick animations/transitions while it was buttery smooth before the EFI update.

I already emailed Tim Cook (like that would make a difference) and filed a bug report. I will open threads where I can but this and some other Portuguese forums are the only ones I'm active in.

Are you sure that this is exclusive to Boot Camp? I mean, I never tried any heavy graphics game under OSX. I'm about to try Batman Arkham Asylum and will see if it's exclusive to Boot Camp. I just hope Apple fixes this asap.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Yes, it stutters. Right now I have FIFA 13 and Assassin's Creed 2 installed. Assassin's is pretty much playable since it's a 2009 game but FIFA just stutters on the quick animations/transitions while it was buttery smooth before the EFI update.

I already emailed Tim Cook (like that would make a difference) and filed a bug report. I will open threads where I can but this and some other Portuguese forums are the only ones I'm active in.

Are you sure that this is exclusive to Boot Camp? I mean, I never tried any heavy graphics game under OSX. I'm about to try Batman Arkham Asylum and will see if it's exclusive to Boot Camp. I just hope Apple fixes this asap.

Yes, for a couple reasons. First, is that games tend to be smooth for about 10 minutes (on bootcamp), but after that, the stuttering begins. Getting out of the game lets the CPU cool down a bit. Getting back in, I'm good for about the same time then downhill again. Don't you notice? I also bought Guild Wars 2 and downloaded the Mac version. NO stuttering, NO overheating. Highest temp I would get is about 72 degrees!! That's 30 percent (well almost, the complete number is 30.0970874) cooler! IDK why this happens, seeing I have DIRECT control on fan speeds, and set both fans to max speed! I posted the same thing on Tom's hardware AND the apple community forums, no fixes. Most people just say it's with my "Old graphics card". I don't really get it, seeing that over clocking this card gets the clock speeds almost on par with the boosted GTX 660 core clock! (over clocking the already over clocked GT 650M gets you 1035 MHz clock speed while boosted GTX 660 is 1033 MHz). Though the temperature difference between over clock and normal modes is about 1-3 degrees celsius.

UPDATE:
NOT IN ANY WAY dissing the GTX 660 owners!! Don't want any "Hardware wars".

Last edited:

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Drop your screen res and reduce the quality of the graphics to low.

Also if you're using Bootcamp, in the advanced power management section, reduce your maximum CPU usage. Taking it off 100% turns off turbo boost which reduces temps. Reducing it futher will help keep the temps low.

The less you make your rMBP work, the cooler it will run.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17058666/

Just hoping this will help others. I said it more than once on that reply but it's not totally confirmed that it worked for me. Right now, it has. I cannot guarantee that the issue won't come back. Throttling due to high temperatures on the other hand, is probably still there.

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Also if you're using Bootcamp, in the advanced power management section, reduce your maximum CPU usage. Taking it off 100% turns off turbo boost which reduces temps. Reducing it futher will help keep the temps low.

This^^ and using Lubbos fan control, My CPU/GPU temperatures never go above 75c when gaming.
I can play the likes of farcry 3 for hours without issues.

This is on a base rMBP.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013

Just hoping this will help others. I said it more than once on that reply but it's not totally confirmed that it worked for me. Right now, it has. I cannot guarantee that the issue won't come back. Throttling due to high temperatures on the other hand, is probably still there.

As you can see above, I already suggested that to the person I was addressing, but that person hasn't replied, leading me to think my idea won't do anything. But this is genius! Think we've found a fix! Tell us how this is working out after a few days of gaming, would you?
Oh, and one more thing, the throttling is basically a protective measure (I think) from heat. As long as you don't get the previous temps (90-100 degrees), no throttling will happen.
Now that your problem is fixed, why not try over clocking? Can boost your frame rate!!
Get nvidia inspector and increase the core clock by +135 and memory by +554. Most stable I can get with minimal extra temps.
Will try this fix ASAP.

----------

This^^ and using Lubbos fan control, My CPU/GPU temperatures never go above 75c when gaming.
I can play the likes of farcry 3 for hours without issues.

This is on a base rMBP.

Well, I think we did good! Dude, what settings you using on Far Cry 3? And are you getting Bioshock infinite?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I was gonna try to OC right when the issues began. Right now, I won't OC because I'm not running any heavy graphics games but I wil once I need it ;)

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I was gonna try to OC right when the issues began. Right now, I won't OC because I'm not running any heavy graphics games but I wil once I need it ;)

Heat issues again? -_____-
Might go to a psychiatrist for the duration this problem is around lol

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
updated bootcamp didn't they? You think reinstalling windows will help?
I'm seeing other people gaming with temps WAY better than mine on the same machine (70-89 degrees).

Bootcamp facilitates booting into Windows, plus it adds drivers so Windows can interact with Mac hardware. I don't see how a Windows reinstall will help. And my understanding is that if it gets too hot, your Mac will shutdown to protect itself, no?

I'll try to remember to check the temp the next time I'm running a game in Windows. Just need the right app to do this (will check out the program you mentioned in your orig post).

Last edited:

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
My rMBP (2012 2.7Ghz) runs as high as 105C during gaming and photo editing, but i do not get any troubles during gaming.
But have some lag in photo editing when i have safari, itunes and other programs running

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Bootcamp facilitates booting into Windows, plus it adds drivers so Windows can interact with Mac hardware. I don't see how a Windows reinstall will help. And my understanding is that if it gets too hot, your Mac will shutdown to protect itself, no?

I'll try to remember to check the temp the next time I'm running a game in Windows. Just need the right app to do this (will check out the program you mentioned in your orig post).

Read this:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Read this:

Interesting. I did a round of World of Tanks tonight using Real Temp. I found on my hardware with Windows 7 (see sig), that my temps run about 50 degrees when not much is going on, but when the game starts, the temp climbs to 72-75 degrees and the fan kicks on. That's it. At one point I installed a fan utility under MacOS, but I don't see that having any effect in Windows (would it?). I realize I don't have a Retina MBP. Would solid state hard drive make it run hotter or cooler?

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Interesting. I did a round of World of Tanks tonight using Real Temp. I found on my hardware with Windows 7 (see sig), that my temps run about 50 degrees when not much is going on, but when the game starts, the temp climbs to 72-75 degrees and the fan kicks on. That's it. At one point I installed a fan utility under MacOS, but I don't see that having any effect in Windows (would it?). I realize I don't have a Retina MBP. Would solid state hard drive make it run hotter or cooler?

Actually, that's how temps are SUPPOSED to be for people with a heating problem of mine and dastinger's nature. Your temps are similar (if not the same) to what is produced when you game on windows. We probably have a glitch in the bootcamp partition that got resolved by reinstalling.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Actually, that's how temps are SUPPOSED to be for people with a heating problem of mine and dastinger's nature. Your temps are similar (if not the same) to what is produced when you game on windows. We probably have a glitch in the bootcamp partition that got resolved by reinstalling.

Wow, what a pain...

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Wow, what a pain...
It wasn't such a pain for me because I only have Malwarebytes and Games installed under Windows. It's a process that can take up to an hour but you don't have to do much. I don't care what I have to do as long as I know that it will solve my issue.

Does that mean you solved your issue by reinstalling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.