Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goblue103

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Hey everyone, I know there are already a couple threads out there debating this question, but I find myself faced with this dilemma. I also cannot help but look at the retina MacBook Pro and just think "damnnn." I think the iMac is the right decision because I am a lawyer who works from home occasionally and could benefit from the extra screen space. Other than work, I would mostly use the computer for browsing and streaming. I don't really play video games or do any type of graphic design. So, the main advantage to the bigger screen would be the ability to open an extra document on the screen while I work. This would be helpful, but is it really worth the extra 500 bucks? Also, for those 27 inch folks out there, did you have to get a bigger desk? It just seems like the screen would be too big for my current desk. If I went for the 21.5, given my use, is it worth getting the 2.9 over the 2.7? That is, will I really notice a difference in speed? I currently have a seven year old MacBook Pro, so almost anything will be an upgrade. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Finally, in case it is not obvious, I am not very tech savvy, so please dumb down the advice for me. Thanks!

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I would def go 27inch 3.2 i5...here is why. I also have the 27inch and my desk is a vintage old high school desk i bought from a thrift store, the computer is about as wide as the design and it looks sweet! Two, sounds like you keep computers for a long time, the i5 2.9 vs 3.2 wont make any difference but the video cards 660 vs 675 will make a HUGE difference in longevity of your new computer. 512video RAM in the 660 is not enough for a screen this large.

I would get the $1999 i5 3.2 w 675mx, that will be great for many years...and for some portability and some work on the go snag an iPad. DONE! enjoy

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Get the $1999 iMac if you want a new iMac which 'Always better' than the previous gen.

Lower tiers would have some compromises on their end. Anything lower than 675mx is basically not enough, even if you're not a heavy gamer, you wouldn't like the fact that in little times of your casual gaming, you find your computer lagged.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
27"

Glad i went to the Apple Store before i bought mine.

Seeing the 21.5" sat next the the 27" made my mind up straight away!

gagecloutier

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
If you can afford it and you have the desk space, go with the 27". I went with the 27" and couldn't be happier. So. Much. Screen.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
[QUOTE

yea I've got the 27 imac fully maxed out and two 27 inch thunderbolt displays connected to that, so you know my opinion lol....in all seriousness though i dont understand where all these threads are coming from, if your gonna spend the money on a mac, why in the world would you buy the 21 inch? especially now cuz you cant even upgrade the ram without paying apple the tax...idk i personally hate the 21 inch..

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
[QUOTE

yea I've got the 27 imac fully maxed out and two 27 inch thunderbolt displays connected to that, so you know my opinion lol....in all seriousness though i dont understand where all these threads are coming from, if your gonna spend the money on a mac, why in the world would you buy the 21 inch? especially now cuz you cant even upgrade the ram without paying apple the tax...idk i personally hate the 21 inch..

Because:

A. Not everyone can afford the additional cash the 27 inch costs.
B. Not everyone WANTS a 27 inch screen.
C. Not everyone has the right sized desk to support such a huge screen, sitting 12 inches away from a 21 inch screen is far better than setting 12 inches away from a 27 inch screen.

D. 16 GB or even 8 GB is more than enough ram for most users. Most people who install more than 16 GB of ram never ever use it, they just like spec sheets. Yes some people DO use it, but most people just web surf and email.

E. Most people do not need to keep up with the Jones' and need to buy the biggest and best to make themselves feel better.

It is not a one size fits all world; it is great you need three 27 inch monitors, but for a lot of people, the 21 inch screen and specs are more than enough computer for them.

The only way to really know which size is best for you is to try them both out. But at the Apple store, that may not be the best place, as you are standing up usually and at an eye level and distance which is not the same as in your office or home. If possible you need to sit at a desk similar to yours and try them. I was sure which size was right for me after going to my sister in laws house and sitting at her iMac for a while. In the store, it was much harder to really decide.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
because:

B. Not everyone wants a 27 inch screen.
C. Not everyone has the right sized desk to support such a huge screen, sitting 12 inches away from a 21 inch screen is far better than setting 12 inches away from a 27 inch screen.

D. 16 gb or even 8 gb is more than enough ram for most users. Most people who install more than 16 gb of ram never ever use it, they just like spec sheets. Yes some people do use it, but most people just web surf and email.

E. Most people do not need to keep up with the jones' and need to buy the biggest and best to make themselves feel better.

It is not a one size fits all world; it is great you need three 27 inch monitors, but for a lot of people, the 21 inch screen and specs are more than enough computer for them.

The only way to really know which size is best for you is to try them both out. But at the apple store, that may not be the best place, as you are standing up usually and at an eye level and distance which is not the same as in your office or home. If possible you need to sit at a desk similar to yours and try them. I was sure which size was right for me after going to my sister in laws house and sitting at her imac for a while. In the store, it was much harder to really decide.

+1

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It seems that you might benefit from a larger screen, but don't really need the higher specs. I have one, and it is handy for viewing 2 pages at a time. Less so for safari, since I usually expand my browser to about 3/4 the screen's length, which doesn't really leave much room for anything else.

Have you considered getting a MacBook and hooking it up to a 27" monitor (like apple's Thunderbolt Display) instead? Might offer the best of both worlds here.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
Because:

B. Not everyone WANTS a 27 inch screen.

D. 16 GB or even 8 GB is more than enough ram for most users. Most people who install more than 16 GB of ram never ever use it, they just like spec sheets. Yes some people DO use it, but most people just web surf and email.

E. Most people do not need to keep up with the Jones' and need to buy the biggest and best to make themselves feel better.

The only way to really know which size is best for you is to try them both out. But at the Apple store, that may not be the best place, as you are standing up usually and at an eye level and distance which is not the same as in your office or home. If possible you need to sit at a desk similar to yours and try them. I was sure which size was right for me after going to my sister in laws house and sitting at her iMac for a while. In the store, it was much harder to really decide.
ill give you a few of those points, but first off the guy said hes a lawyer so a is out the window, as far as b is concerned, no not everyone needs ram and i didnt say that, but in the off chance that you might want to install it one day in the future, that process alone will almost match the price of a base 27... and c....thats like someone saying they like their 15 inch hitachi screen from the 80s over their 65 inch samsung lcd...an exaggeration i know but you get my point.. and as far as e is concerned it sounds like your dealing with your own personal financial problems...never anywhere in my comment was i saying anything about keeping up with anybody, you took it that way because apparently your unhappy and self concious of your own life and your own financial situation and decided to spin a comment i said to get you applause on a computer forum.. i saw a guy on you tube yesterday with 12 screens lol, did i feel the need to go out and buy 9 more?! no of course not... so you should really think about your insulting comments before you post them...the guy asked a question and i gave em my answer, which by his latest commemnt seems he's actually going with the 27....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.