Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
My answer would be a resounding yes, if it was on the Verizon network. I have an Iphone 5 and am always looking for new, but better technology. When I had my Iphone 4, I thought the 4s was not enough of an upgrade, so I switched to the Galaxy S3. It was a good phone, and I was familiar with Android having a Droid awhile ago. When the Iphone 5 was announced with a larger screen, I jumped back to Apple. The S3 was okay, but continuous bluetooth car problems was a deciding point. The Iphone always hooked up in my car, everytime, all the time.

So I am now in the same boat. The Iphone 5s will not have enough of a spec bump to get me to buy it. NFC, a fingerprint reader and a bigger processor are not enough. Of course I was looking at the HTC One, but I am not going to switch carriers. The coming HTC Butterfly2 on Verizon will be the same as the HTC One, so I am tempted, again. But I am not going to switch. I am just really embedded in the Apple eco-system. It does sound trite, but everything just works. So it looks like I just have to wait a year for an Iphone 6 with a bigger screen. I'll wait, but I will be the first person in line, like I was for the Iphone 5.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Yes :) I probably would, what I'm looking for is basically a bigger phone with iOS and with the same build quality.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i have my reservations about the htc one.

for starters, i'm not sold on the one's camera. i'm sure it takes great shots in low light situations, but i keep reading that well-lit shots come out too soft. i'm also not sold on the usefulness of a 1080p screen for a phone. wouldn't that mean all the apps are upscaled to the higher res? wouldn't that produce blocky (or fuzzy) images like when the retina display first came out and made non-retina apps look like crap? i duno. i will wait until i can see it in person to pass final judgment, though.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Initially yes.

After reading and watching many hands on and reviews and finally ifix it's tear down the answer is NO, HELL NO!

The camera is dodgy.

htc has three screen suppliers that have vastly different screens ranging from mediocre to great.

After looking at the tear down the One is far from uni body. How are they even able to say its uni body?

It's got an aluminium back but the rim is plastic and the speaker grills are glues on to the plastic rim.

Speaking of the speaker grills they are totally fake as the speakers are behind just a small portion of the grill.

If you drop the phone and break the screen it's good by phone and htc notorious bad customer service makes me want the one even less.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Probably not. why? cuz it's NOT Apple :apple: .. yall should know that by now. LULZ

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
If you'd asked me this a couple of days ago I'd have said yes easily. By far the best looking and feeling Android model I've seen. But I just saw the tear down on it. OMG. You can't replace anything on it. It's entirely glued together. You can replace an iPhone 5 screen or battery in about 5 minutes each. Piece of cake. And I didn't even know about the screen quality issue mentioned earlier.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would say yes. The HTC One is the only device out there that rivals the iPhone 5 in design and build quality. It might even be better than the iPhone 5 in those regards. Too bad it's being held back by running Android.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just watched Android Authority's iPhone 5 vs htc One drop test.

The One just falls apart and the plastic rim cracks. :eek:

iPhone 5's design is by far superior.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
Are iPhone users ITT seriously complaining about the lack of accessibility and repairability in a competing device? The irony...

As for the OP's question, hell yes I would. The screen alone is reason enough.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Are iPhone users ITT seriously complaining about the lack of accessibility and repairability in a competing device? The irony...

iPhone 5 got a repairability score of 7/10 which is pretty dang good.

----------

Really? How do you figure? I think the opposite is slowly becoming true in fact.

Feature-wise, I would have to agree Android is ahead.

I think iOS wins in the usability category though.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
No ios us FAR behind android when it comes to features and usability.

Features? Android is ahead.

Not usability.

Android does a lot of things, and it does them okay-ish to pretty good, whereas iOS does less things, but it does them really well.

That's why iOS will always be better for those who just want a phone that works and Android is the best OS for those who like to tweak stuff.

I have a Nexus 4 and I can't tell you how many times that phone has decided to go all wonky on me after I install a custom ROM or something (which causes me to reflash). On iOS, when I jailbreak, it always works. Doesn't corrupt my data, doesn't go all crazy, just loads up Cydia and there we go. I love both phones, but iOS is ahead in that department.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I have a Nexus 4 and I can't tell you how many times that phone has decided to go all wonky on me after I install a custom ROM or something (which causes me to reflash). On iOS, when I jailbreak, it always works. Doesn't corrupt my data, doesn't go all crazy, just loads up Cydia and there we go. I love both phones, but iOS is ahead in that department.

That's a pretty disingenuous argument though. Flashing custom ROMs is a fringe use case, you can't blame the OS for acting up under such circumstances. You're right, iOS handles jailbreaking pretty well, but that shouldn't be a point in its favor either. The fact is that right now, out of the box, which is the user experience that counts, Android (stock) simply offers more than iOS. Having used a Nexus 4 for a while - just like you - I can attest to that. It absolutely is a phone that "just works", and then some.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Really? How do you figure? I think the opposite is slowly becoming true in fact.

You can't share data between apps, can't download stuff with stock browser, having to go into settings to enable private mode, can't manage files, can't mount as external storage, can't use sd cards, horrible multitasking, can't attach anything other then pics from email app (wtf) and keyboard that hasn't changed since ios 1. I could go on forever, but you get the point.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
What I like most about the current state of android devices is bloatware. You really can never have enough bloatware.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
My answer would be a resounding yes, if it was on the Verizon network. I have an Iphone 5 and am always looking for new, but better technology. When I had my Iphone 4, I thought the 4s was not enough of an upgrade, so I switched to the Galaxy S3. It was a good phone, and I was familiar with Android having a Droid awhile ago. When the Iphone 5 was announced with a larger screen, I jumped back to Apple. The S3 was okay, but continuous bluetooth car problems was a deciding point. The Iphone always hooked up in my car, everytime, all the time.

So I am now in the same boat. The Iphone 5s will not have enough of a spec bump to get me to buy it. NFC, a fingerprint reader and a bigger processor are not enough. Of course I was looking at the HTC One, but I am not going to switch carriers. The coming HTC Butterfly2 on Verizon will be the same as the HTC One, so I am tempted, again. But I am not going to switch. I am just really embedded in the Apple eco-system. It does sound trite, but everything just works. So it looks like I just have to wait a year for an Iphone 6 with a bigger screen. I'll wait, but I will be the first person in line, like I was for the Iphone 5.

More or less, this is just asking if iOS users would like a bigger screen. My answer is yes, but only if the actual phone doesn't grow in size to accommodate it.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
HTC One running IOs

Absolutely! With the much larger and readable screen, faster processor and wonderful camera, I would buy this today.:eek:

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Yes :) I probably would, what I'm looking for is basically a bigger phone with iOS and with the same build quality.

Just as you, I will get it too. I like phone with big screen, but not too large. The htc one is perfect and have a cool design, so does the build quailty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.