Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I got a good deal on an unopened official red leather Smart Cover, and it is currently on its way.

In the meantime, I did a search for tips on maintaining leather Smart Covers and there was a post from a couple years back talking about how frustrating it is to take care of the red leather. Does it still hold true today?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It will wear like an old book. Darken, with oils from hands. Depends on how OCD you are or if you appreciate the patina.

I use mink oil on mine every 3-4 months, simliar to shoes, hat, holsters. It's probably 12-13 mos old now and still in perfect shape, other than the above.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
It will wear like an old book. Darken, with oils from hands. Depends on how OCD you are or if you appreciate the patina.

I use mink oil on mine every 3-4 months, simliar to shoes, hat, holsters. It's probably 12-13 mos old now and still in perfect shape, other than the above.

Maybe I am a bit OCC. How do you carry your iPad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I wish they offered a red poly cover like for the mini. The poly is much more resistant to obvious aging than the leather. I had a black leather and wound up not caring for it much- especially the way it was aging, scratching, or even the feel of the leather in general.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up a red SmartCase for my iPad 2, because when I had one before it was too loose where you could see a gap at the top through the speaker hole and also it would come away on the edges from the iPad every time you grabbed it or folded the stand- very annoying. I wonder if that problem of fit has been corrected. I have a dark gray Smart Cover in combination with a smoke Belkin snap case, which is nice, but sometimes I feel red would be a nice change as well.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Maybe I am a bit OCC. How do you carry your iPad around? Do you just pick it up and carry, toss in a bag, etc.?

It rarely leaves home. On the rare occasion I have a small messenger bag.

y3e2a4eh.jpg

e6uvu3uq.jpg

Generally use creased back.
2e6amupa.jpg

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I wish they offered a red poly cover like for the mini. The poly is much more resistant to obvious aging than the leather. I had a black leather and wound up not caring for it much- especially the way it was aging, scratching, or even the feel of the leather in general.

I'm debating whether or not to pick up a red SmartCase for my iPad 2, because when I had one before it was too loose where you could see a gap at the top through the speaker hole and also it would come away on the edges from the iPad every time you grabbed it or folded the stand- very annoying. I wonder if that problem of fit has been corrected. I have a dark gray Smart Cover in combination with a smoke Belkin snap case, which is nice, but sometimes I feel red would be a nice change as well.

i had a smart case with the iPad 3 and it fit nicely

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul

There appear to be third party retailers that provide red poly covers. The quality is unknown, though.

faster315

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013

Agreed. At a certain point, I just said "screw it" and after that point the thing started looking well-loved. I didn't see much need to treat the leather with anything fancy. It's not like they use fancy leather anyway, it's super thin and texture-less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.