Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Big update was released today for Civilization V: Campaign Edition.

Is it better, worse?:)

Jadon

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i heard it sucks big time. i havent downloaded it yet, but I've heard it made it worse

Civ 5 rand just fine for me before, so Im not rushing to get it

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
On the 17" 2010 Macbook Pro the performance got much much better. No more slow-downs, faster framerate and loading times. I'd even say better quality graphics and improved AI, but it's been a while since I ran the game the last time.

Honestly, I can't complain:)

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I can't speak of the app store version. However, the fall patch for the steam version, as well as the recent mini-patch that has been rolled into the app store update, made significant improvements to general performance, graphics performance and gameplay. It also fixed various UI bugs and has been very well received by players using both PCs and Macs.

Patch notes

I see no reason why the campaign edition wouldn't benefit from all the improvements that were made to the steam version, especially considering the extra time that Aspyr have had to test it. One thing to mention, though. I understand that the initial update posted to the app store was bugged, causing problems at startup, but that it was fixed very quickly. No one seems to be complaining of any issues on the Civfanatics Mac forums.

TL;DR: A very worthwhile update. Do it!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I can't speak of the app store version.

The Civ 5 Mac "Campaign Edition" was made specifically for the Apple Mac App Store. The other versions (e.g. Steam version) is never referred to as a Campaign Edition.

The OP was simply announcing that the long-delayed update for the Mac App Store version is finally released. The Steam version, as everyone already knows, gets updated much earlier.

I'm sure this recent App Store update has similar "bug fixes" as the one on Steam, or at least that is what they should have accomplished. The one big disparity is that the Mac App Store version will never have the same robust multi-player features as the Steam version. Anyone who is a veteran Mac gamer (and has several Aspyr/Feral titles) should have already expected that.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
The Civ 5 Mac "Campaign Edition" was made specifically for the Apple Mac App Store. The other versions (e.g. Steam version) is never referred to as a Campaign Edition.

The OP was simply announcing that the long-delayed update for the Mac App Store version is finally released. The Steam version, as everyone already knows, gets updated much earlier.

I'm sure this recent App Store update has similar "bug fixes" as the one on Steam, or at least that is what they should have accomplished. The one big disparity is that the Mac App Store version will never have the same robust multi-player features as the Steam version. Anyone who is a veteran Mac gamer (and has several Aspyr/Feral titles) should have already expected that.

:rolleyes:

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Will it stop my map from going all red and white checkerboard in later stages of the game? That's my only big problem.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Will it stop my map from going all red and white checkerboard in later stages of the game? That's my only big problem.

That bug is unfortunately present in both Mac and PC versions of the game with certain configurations, usually on larger maps or maps with a lot of water. We did find that the patch lessoned the frequency of the bug, and some users report to not see it at all anymore, but our test team still does see it from time to time.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
Much better

I found the game play improved considerably with the update. I think the checkers have more to do with video and memory capacity, but I'm not sure.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I found the game play improved considerably with the update. I think the checkers have more to do with video and memory capacity, but I'm not sure.

Well, considering that I saw them on the new 27 inch iMac with 24GB of RAM and the ramped up GPU, I hope that's not the case. :(

I did the update and haven't seen the checkerboard yet - but I haven't gotten into the later years of a game yet, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.