Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How Many Suits Do You Own and Wear Regularly?

Votes: 11 24.4%

Votes: 9 20.0%

Votes: 7 15.6%

Votes: 3 6.7%

Votes: 4 8.9%

Votes: 1 2.2%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 10+

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Whadda you mean? Every guy needs a suit.

I've got one suit, wore it once already (wedding) and plan on wearing it only one more time (funeral).

Ack! That just reminded me of a marriage joke...

Marriage is like a game of cards, you starts with 2 hearts and ends with a full house.

Marriage is like a game of cards, it starts with 2 hearts and ends with a club and a spade.

Not necessarily. I rented my morning suit for my wedding. I will be cremated in a cardboard box. I like those jokes, btw. I'll tell them to the wife.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i used to wear suits daily for 15 years. i have about 30 of them in my closet. the majority of them are sturdy off the shelf work suits. i have a handful of MTM designer stuff and i have a bunch of bespoke suits that i've picked up in my travels abroad. honestly, the bespoke stuff is the best. you cannot beat a custom fit (assuming you don't gain or lose a lot of weight). and it can be very cheap when getting done abroad as i have.

these days, i can dress casually for work, so my suits gather dust for the most part. i'd say that i put on a suit maybe 3 or 4 times a year now.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
i used to wear suits daily for 15 years. i have about 30 of them in my closet. the majority of them are sturdy off the shelf work suits. i have a handful of MTM designer stuff and i have a bunch of bespoke suits that i've picked up in my travels abroad. honestly, the bespoke stuff is the best. you cannot beat a custom fit (assuming you don't gain or lose a lot of weight). and it can be very cheap when getting done abroad as i have.

these days, i can dress casually for work, so my suits gather dust for the most part. i'd say that i put on a suit maybe 3 or 4 times a year now.

I'll second the bespoke suit experience. Goes for shoes too. Expensive habit if you don't get to travel abroad, however.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I have two suits, through I don't plan on wearing one of them ever again (bad fit).

I suppose because I haven't had to wear one daily for work it's still a novelty dressing up. When I hit my ideal weight I plan to get a made to measure for special occasions.

A suit- the Bro you can wear :p

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I only have one. It was/still is a very nice suit that cost an arm, maybe half a leg, and was custom tailored. I've had it for years - I've just acquired a wide variety of shirts and ties to go with it.

I only wear it for job interviews and wore it in my last position for bi-monthly Board Meetings (since they were all Chicago power lawyers and professionals).

I desperately need at least one or two suits at minimum. During those times with a crowded schedule, it's just passable to have the same suit and different shirts/ties (or sometimes omitting the jacket). It's also a bit 'flashy' for certain settings.

Definitely something I've been meaning to take care of and hope to soon.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Just noticed the poll and am curious why 0 isn't an option? Believe there are a lot of people out there disliking suits (spotted at least on rant in this thread :D)

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
10. Most are cotton blend suits because I live in Texas and work in a quick-service restaurant where I do wear them to work. I also like to mix it up between bow ties and ties as well.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I have three, two three piece suits and one two piece suit. The three pieces are plaid medium grey and pinstripe slate grey, and the two piece is black (it's a funeral suit, and it does get a lot of wear). Since I work in a gym I have to wear sweats all day, so I like to be dressed formally but appropriately whenever possible. The three piece suits are custom, and I wear a lot of other custom or tailored clothing on days that I'm not training.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
As an accounting student I own a few suits that I wear to recruiting and networking events. However, once I get a job at a firm I'm going crazy with suits - going to pick up a few for $1k+. I love suits :D

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Here in Alberta a suit consist of a Stetson, nice plaid shirt, bolo tie, levi jeans with belt and tombstone buckle, snake skin or ostrich skin cowboy boots. I own a lot of them. All joking aside, I own a couple of dress suits which I wear a couple of times a year for special functions. Otherwise I am wearing my Alberta suits. Comfortable in either gear.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know the poll is closed but I have four that I rotate.

1 Black
1 Gray
1 Dark Blue
1 Brown

30+ ties
20+ dress shirts
6 pairs of shoes
5 tie clips
4 pairs of cuff links

I usually have to wear a suit two to three times a week so rotate each week.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have two. One I bought last year while on vacation at Banana Republic. I'm pretty particular about my suits, and when I saw this one, I had to have it. It is a charcoal gray color. Then I bought a black suit just a month ago for my wedding this past weekend. I looked goooood! (;

I'm probably done buying suits for the foreseeable future. I would like a navy one, but I don't wear them often enough to have three. Plus, my wife has taken over the closet. :)

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Plus, my wife has taken over the closet. :)

Congratulations to the newest member of the Borg.

I have one old suit, that doesn't fit me any longer (any rounder to tell the truth). :eek:

If my family wants to put me on display when I croak, they'll have to split it up the back, as they usually do in those circumstances. ;)

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I have one suit and one sport coat. I've worn the sport coat once this year and haven't worn the suit since a funeral in August '11

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Along with flopticalcube, I'll also echo the bespoke suit experience. It is not just that they sit better, and look far better, more importantly, it is also that with the tyranny of modern fashion (fascism), as defined by the cloth trade, if your body does not conform to what is the approved shape, size and silhouette for your gender (tall, slim and size zero being the preferred options for females, a set or requirements none of which I meet), it is next to impossible to find anything decent which fits, is comfortable and looks well. Personally, I prefer well cut - and comfortable - clothing made from natural fabrics. In recent years, this has meant bespoke tailoring.

Actually, I rarely wore suits when I was a college teacher, more usually, a smart (often tweed) jacket, or a blazer; since then, my work has required more formal attire, not less. Well cut (also bespoke) tweed jackets and blazers are fine, but I have a few very good (bespoke) suits, which I wear in more formal settings.

So, as to how many I currently own, the answer seems to be four good designer suits (light weight wool) and three bespoke suits, of varying weights. One of these is a sort of twill, (in charcoal grey) which means it is both extremely hard-wearing, very forgiving, and yet looks great. It is the one I find I end up wearing most of the time.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.