Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Looking to replace my old Samsung to hook up to my 2010 MBP.
So far I'm interested in the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 58cm (23'') and the Dell S2440L 61cm (24'') LED monitor Full HD (1920x1080) VGA,HDMI.

Anyone with experience in the two above, or suggestions for other?
My main whish is to have a monitor that resembles my glossy MBP screen as much as possible.
BTW the Apple Thunderbold beyond buget.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I was in the market until my work bought me a Dell P2412H. I think it's the business version of the Dell S series. Either way, it's a very nice monitor that is about $250 on amazon. I literally got it this weekend, so I can't give you durability stats, and my demands aren't exactly high for a monitor, but this is satisfying my needs for a larger screen.

It is matte, btw. You may not like that part of it, but I think it looks great.

Upside to the S2440L: It has a fully adjustable stand instead of the simple tilt of the S2440L. It also has a usb hub built in.
Downside: It has dvi-d vs the S2440L having hdmi. (I already had a dvi-d adapter, so this wasn't an issue for me)

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also chatted with one of Dell's sales people (nice of them to offer this on their website), he advised me one of their U-series.

The real good news is that I'll be getting my boss' former ACD 23' soon, because he's going to upgrade his configuration as well. Guess that makes us both winners :)

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Are you looking for high resolution monitors or standard ones? Standard monitors are cheaper. And there are plethora of options with them.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Are you looking for high resolution monitors or standard ones? Standard monitors are cheaper. And there are plethora of options with them.

How many options would you say I have?
2866472082_188e136767_o.jpg

And golf clap for not putting "a" in front of it.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
How many options would you say I have?

And golf clap for not putting "a" in front of it.

For non-high resolution displays, honestly, you can just go to best buy or something to get that. I'm not too familiar since I'm in the market for high-res now. But samsung makes a ton of really good non-high res monitors.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The Dell U-Series are well regarded, definitely a step up from every in the $200 range at Best Buy. The Dell U-Series usually have some form of IPS screen where as many of the cheaper Samsung/Best Bey budget screens have TN or other LCD tech.

Basically the Dell U-Series will have better color accuracy and wider viewing angles. Also, usually more inputs and a built in USB hub. Sometimes an SD card reader too.

If none of that is important, anything at Best Buy will work.

Another consideration...
If all the screens are 1920x1080, depending how far away you sit from your screen, you may want to consider a smaller LCD.

The benefits, if sitting relatively closer, is pixel density and apparent image crispness.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
The Dell U-Series are well regarded, definitely a step up from every in the $200 range at Best Buy. The Dell U-Series usually have some form of IPS screen where as many of the cheaper Samsung/Best Bey budget screens have TN or other LCD tech.

Basically the Dell U-Series will have better color accuracy and wider viewing angles. Also, usually more inputs and a built in USB hub. Sometimes an SD card reader too.

If none of that is important, anything at Best Buy will work.

Another consideration...
If all the screens are 1920x1080, depending how far away you sit from your screen, you may want to consider a smaller LCD.

The benefits, if sitting relatively closer, is pixel density and apparent image crispness.

I would probably have gone for the Dell U, because I'm working in the graphic sector and because my second screen is my MBP - meaning glossy and high quality are indeed my demands. I'm not at all happy with my present Samsung.
But like I posted above, the issue is about to be solved: there's an ACD23 on it's way :)
@ spacepower7: good suggestion about the resolution!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I have a Dell ultra sharp 2412.

Pros
Good colour
Adjustable height
Portrait and landscape
Cheap compared with Apple TB
lots of inputs

Cons
Text isn't all t hat sharp, when connected to MBA and my iMac 2007. I think the iMac is sharper but the glossy screen might just seem to be sharper and more dynamic.
Cheap looking and fragile compared with iMac.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I would probably have gone for the Dell U, because I'm working in the graphic sector and because my second screen is my MBP - meaning glossy and high quality are indeed my demands. I'm not at all happy with my present Samsung.
But like I posted above, the issue is about to be solved: there's an ACD23 on it's way :)
@ spacepower7: good suggestion about the resolution!

Understandable

Most of the Samsung computer LCDs available at Best Buy or whatever are pretty bad. Not just Samsung, most computer LCDs at Best Buy suck.

When traveling for work, I bought a 23" Samsung to use while I was at a site for a few weeks. I didn't want to ship my Dell there.

It was the highest end Samsung computer LCD they had in Best Buy, and worst LCD I have owned or temporarily owned. I guess I have been spoiled by nice Dell! Apple, and NEC LCD displays.

Anyway, enjoy your ACD23.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.