Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whobarra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
California
So as the title says today I walked into my local best buy to see if they had any available open box 16gb white new iPads so the 4th generation, low and behold they have 2 wifi only 16gb white iPads 4th gen for $449.99 and 1 white LTE 16gb Verizon iPad 4th gen $429.99seeing as how the VZW iPad was cheaper than the wifi only model, I proceeded to purchase the VZW iPad, the final price after using my holiday gift cards was $315.86 so here's my questions
Was this a good deal at $429 or is it a price drop because maybe a new iPad is on the horizon I heard a rumor that some stores were beginning to be sold out of certain models already?
And secondly is i were to purchase the best buy geek squad protection do they after 3 times and attempts at repair, do they give you what you paid or do they attempt to replace it? I know most people are gonna say not to exceed what you paid but I know this to not be true, with the previous PRP, they gave you credit of the value it would cost to replace it example: I purchased a iPod touch open box few years ago for around $179.99 and when I went and took it in they gave me credit for $229.99 to purchase the current model that was available... So yea any information would be helpful... Let me know what you guys think?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Did you sign up for a contract with Verizon? Are Best Buy running a deal where you get the iPad for a cheaper price with a 2 year commitment? If not, you got a great deal. I wouldn't read too much into it. Different retailers offer discounts on Apple products at various times for various reasons.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
seems to me to be some sort of pricing mistake or.....

are you sure it was an iPad 4 16GB LTE Verizon and not an iPad 3 16GB LTE Verizon?

double check just to be sure, b/c many Best Buys are still carrying new and open box iPad 3 stock and they are selling it at matched pricing to Apple.com's iPad 3 refurb stock

Whobarra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
California
no its definitely a iPad 4th generation LTE 16gb White verizon model... its a open box maybe purchased in a few months ago because I checked the serial and it seems to expire in January of next year, debating between purchasing the black tie protection for $169.99, I dunno does not seem like too bad of a deal... yea ended up out the door with the incase case for just a tad over $500... and had close to $220 in giftcards, lso yea I felt like it was a great deal just was wondering and thinking was it too good of a deal...

I tried to have the manager drop it even lower to no avail... but yea its the current model, in great condition

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
no its definitely a iPad 4th generation LTE 16gb White verizon model... its a open box maybe purchased in a few months ago because I checked the serial and it seems to expire in January of next year, debating between purchasing the black tie protection for $169.99, I dunno does not seem like too bad of a deal... yea ended up out the door with the incase case for just a tad over $500... and had close to $220 in giftcards, lso yea I felt like it was a great deal just was wondering and thinking was it too good of a deal...

I tried to have the manager drop it even lower to no avail... but yea its the current model, in great condition

use an AMEX to buy it and you get a 2nd year warranty for free

Whobarra

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
California
I love AMEX so for so many other reasons how about the 90 day lost protection policy, I lost a pair of sunglasses last year that were about $550 and was given credit about a week later for them, Amex is such a great card...

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I love AMEX so for so many other reasons how about the 90 day lost protection policy, I lost a pair of sunglasses last year that were about $550 and was given credit about a week later for them, Amex is such a great card...

yeah they are great.

friend of mine accidentally left his iPad in the outside pocket of his 22" Rollarboard and it was gate checked when boarding one of those ERJ's.
anyways, the screen was shattered when he got the bag back at MEM. he called up AMEX and told them what happened and within 2 business days he had a credit for the full purchase price of the iPad 3. keep in mind, this was beyond the 90 day loss/damage protection policy. they didn't even want the iPad back, just a picture of the damage.

AMEX is such a breeze to deal with. even if you are beyond your 90 day period, AMEX is known for doing right by its customers and still approving damage claims as long as your account is in good standing and you are not abusing the system

another friend of mine has a Capital One Visa card and they never take the side of their customers - in fact they seemed to defend the merchant when a merchant at the mall sold him a defective steam cleaner and didn't tell him about the return policy until after the transaction (return policy didn't exist - there were no returns). Capital One wanted him to get an industry expert opinion in writing that the steam cleaner was defective b/c the merchant claimed it wasn't. WTF? it's such an about face from AMEX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.