Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rptinnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I have my wife and I set up as separate users on our imac but I want to be able to share my "pictures" folder with her. Is there a way to share this folder so that we both have the icon on our desktops and any changes or additions that either of us make will show up in both folders?
I've figured out how to share a folder under system preferences then sharing but as far as I am aware, the only way for my wife to access this shared folder is for her to open up system preferences and find it that way. I'm hoping this doesn't have to occur each time she wants to access the folder.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Ryan

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have my wife and I set up as separate users on our imac but I want to be able to share my "pictures" folder with her. Is there a way to share this folder so that we both have the icon on our desktops and any changes or additions that either of us make will show up in both folders?
I've figured out how to share a folder under system preferences then sharing but as far as I am aware, the only way for my wife to access this shared folder is for her to open up system preferences and find it that way. I'm hoping this doesn't have to occur each time she wants to access the folder.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Ryan
Any folders/files you store in the /Users/Shared folder will be accessible by all users.

rptinnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Thank you... I think I understand that but now how do I get the folder to appear as an icon on her desktop as well?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you... I think I understand that but now how do I get the folder to appear as an icon on her desktop as well?

Paste the command below into Terminal then hit enter and it will put a link to /Users/Shared on her Desktop.

You need to do this while logged in to her account.

You can find Terminal app in /Applications/Utilities.

Code:
ln -s /Users/Shared ~/Desktop/Shared

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Another option would be to setup a second partition on your HDD, and setup a folder there that you both share.

To setup a partition:
Open Disk Utility
Create a second partition on your drive
Then create a folder there

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
A third option is to do GGJstudios option, and then simply create an alias to the pictures folder onto the desktop. You'll probably have to be signed into her account when you do this.

And/Or you could drag the folder to the sidebar of the Finder.

And/Or you could drag the folder to Dock.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A third option is to do GGJstudios option, and then simply create an alias to the pictures folder onto the desktop. You'll probably have to be signed into her account when you do this.

That is what the Terminal command from my post above does.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ahh... ok... Thanks... Lots of options for the OP. Though I would have put the actual Pictures Folder onto the Desktop - just because I'm lazy and don't want to open up an extra folder if I don't have to.

You can tell I don't Terminal much, eh? :)

:D I just find it faster and easier sometimes on the forums to just have people paste in a Terminal command rather than explain all the clicking around in the Finder to do the same thing. Less room for error.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
That is what the Terminal command from my post above does.
Technically, a symbolic link and a Finder Alias are not the same thing. Though "good enough for most purposes", there are differences in how they function.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Technically, a symbolic link and a Finder Alias are not the same thing. Though "good enough for most purposes", there are differences in how they function.

I am aware of that (that's why I called it a link in my first post), but for OP's purposes I did not see the point in turning this into a technical discussion of the differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.