Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pocketgamer reports that Apple spoke with a number of developers at the Game Developers Conference this week about providing game support for a new, official iOS game controller. Apple was rumored to have a physical game controller in the works for the iPhone last year, but nothing has yet seen the light of day.
icadecore.jpg
Two iCade Game Controller Products
Of course, there's no official word yet, but Apple has been active during the conference talking to developers about its plans and ensuring plenty of games will support the joypad at launch.

It's been operating a meeting room at the show, albeit booked under a pseudonym company name to avoid media attention.

However, speaking anonymously, multiple developer sources have confirmed the news to PocketGamer.biz.
Back in 2008, Apple applied for a patent relating to a Wiimote-like controller, but there is no indication that patent is related to this effort.

There are a number of third-party game controllers including the iCade line and an Atari Joystick. However, these third-party efforts have been hampered by a lack of widespread support from developers.

MacRumors had heard previously that Apple had originally supported accessory makers in their quest to make official dock-connector game controllers, but then the approval process was mysteriously halted. Some had speculated at the time that Apple was working on their own game controller solution.

For what it's worth, none of our GDC contacts have heard anything to corroborate the Pocketgamer story, and there is no indication of when or if such a controller might launch.

Update 1:33 PM: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple has quashed the rumor, responding to Pocketgamer's report with a simple "Nope".

Article Link: Apple Working on Dedicated iOS Game Controller? [Updated]

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Make an Apple 1st party dedicated controller for iOS, cross-playable on the Apple TV, then open up an app store to developers on ATV and...

BOOM.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is why apple is stubborn as an ox. You don't drive a car with a touchscreen steering wheel in real life nor should you in a racing game. Physical controllers should of been implemented since ios 3.0

Apple is just too stubborn because Steve jobs was alive back then and refused to see the light. Apple could've destroyed the console gaming market if they would've come up with a way to support real gaming controllers than rely on stupid touch screen controls.

They are not out of the party yet but they are definitely late. No gamer is going to take apple seriously if there is no real gaming controls.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Since iPlay alot of games on iPhone and iPad, iWould really appreciate this- the idea of pushing games to my Apple TV and using a physical controller would be awesome:)
Perhaps itl support the rumored Apple TV :) which will also run these iOS games
Fingers crossed- been wanting this for a very long time

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I cannot even accurately express how awesome this would be, but I will indeed pound on my keyboard in excitement alkjsdfi;ejwgjkandjknqw;e/jgkjansd,vja;sdknkjwenrgiowelkf.jkjnwkllekf/aadvmkjs dvjhwbekgnl

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Since iPlay alot of games on iPhone and iPad, iWould really appreciate this- the idea of pushing games to my Apple TV and using a physical controller would be awesome:)
Perhaps itl support the rumored Apple TV :) which will also run these iOS games
Fingers crossed- been wanting this for a very long time

What's so awesome about using Apple TV as a game console? It would be the least powerful game console out there. Why even bother?

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

For what it's worth, none of our GDC contacts have heard anything to corroborate the Pocketgamer story, and there is no indication of when or if such a controller might launch.

Article Link: Apple Working on Dedicated iOS Game Controller?

For what it's worth, this could potentially only imply that all your GDC contacts have entered conversations with Apple on NDA terms that they are actually willing and able to honor - somewhat unlike all the "sources quoting sources within Apple's supply chain who were not willing to be identified", because they were actually speaking about things that did not conform to their NDA.

Just a thought.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Crazy good. Some game just need a controller. And if Apple starts have games and apps on the ATV, we're going to want a controller.

I agree, an AppleTV with apps, plus a controller API, 1st (and presumably 3rd) party controllers, some app development/update to utilize it ... and I think they'd have a pretty interesting "console" alternative.

Heck, an AppleTV-ish sort of device, but sporting an A6X, and it would be pretty stout in the graphics department.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This is why apple is stubborn as an ox. You don't drive a car with a touchscreen steering wheel in real life nor should you in a racing game. Physical controllers should of been implemented since ios 3.0

Apple is just too stubborn because Steve jobs was alive back then and refused to see the light. Apple could've destroyed the console gaming market if they would've come up with a way to support real gaming controllers than rely on stupid touch screen controls.

They are not out of the party yet but they are definitely late. No gamer is going to take apple seriously if there is no real gaming controls.

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I hope Apple takes serious note now of Ouya and all of the comments that has been said by Gabe Newell and the original Xbox creator about how much potential and opportunity Apple is sitting on.

We're not talking about making super complex consoles like the Playstation or Xbox. If Apple does want to be serious about gaming, I think all they need to do to the hardware is continue to update the Apple TV in it's current form factor year after year, with the latest Ax chips and faster specs, as well as adding different tiers of internal storage, just like they do with their iOS devices. Create the official 1st party controller and then open up that app store. Done, done, and done.

Definitely late, but there's still time I think.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I'd love emulators for non-jailbroken devices as well, but I won't get my hope up on that one.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Make an Apple 1st party dedicated controller for iOS, cross-playable on the Apple TV, then open up an app store to developers on ATV and...

BOOM.

there are a couple 3rd party apps that turn your ipad or iphone into a controller for your mac but i think that the apple TV might become a game console as well kinda like what Mircrosoft did with the xbox turning if from a gaming unit into a entertainment system for media streaming ect and apple is taking the ATV and bringing gaming to it. I can see it linking to the games that are in your itunes lib or transposing the games on the ipad or iphone to the ATV via airplay and turning the iphone into a controller.

Apple did dabble into the gaming in the past but failed remember these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDAI-Pipp...1180169116?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3f2398ff9c

oi this old unit is selling around $500 used these days

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I think a standalone controller that easily connects to Mac, Apple TV and mobile iOS devices would be great.

However, i think it would cause some fragmentation in games on the App Store if you could only play them with the controller.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

Add an eight core (maybe more) custom-designed, high performance ARM processors; add an nvidia-made GPU or another supercharged PowerVR rogue GPU, and then it can compete with the high-end consoles.

Ah, but I still like Sony as a company and their products. I'd pick a PS4 over an Apple-made console as sony have the developers, the experience, the games, and the exclusives. Plus, I really really like their dualshock controller. It feels really well-designed.

b33g33

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I pooh-poohed the whole games on iOS thing for years despite having an original iPhone, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 and a retina iPad.

I downloaded and played a few popular games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope etc. but got bored within hours.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded Wolf 3D, Doom and Rage from iD and holy mother I have been hooked!

As a an old school PC gamer, I have a dedicated gaming rig that can handle anything out now and in the near future, but there is something just really sweet about playing some old school FPS on that gorgeous iPad screen.

The only thing I don't like is the touch controls (I've gotten used to them but will never love them.)

So, Apple, make the controller and I will buy it.

Make it BT or WiFi compatible and I will use it with everything.

iabacus

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Hawaii
That would be awesome!

An iPad with game controller. Excellent battery life and portable, I would have killed for this as a kid. Used to pack my Nintendo around to friends houses.

Two people playing a FPS linked up through wifi or bluetooth would be a better experience than playing split screen on a bigger television.

This could be huge! A real win for smaller game developers that can't in to the Xbox / PS stores.

Come on apple tv SDK/app store!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
No way, it's not going to happen. iPad/iPhone is the game controller Apple TV is the console.

iPhone and iPad would be really sucky game controllers. As you cannot feel the buttons. It works when you actually look at the screen but otherwise it would be really awkard. Think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.