Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Apple has never launched an iPhone without a new OS so first iOS 7 has to be announced and go into beta. ...

no, before 2011, the iPhone used to be shown at WWDC at the same event the new OS was shown.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I think June will see the release of both the new iPhone and iPad (has been my guess for a while). While I have no desire for the 5S, the new full size iPad might be a tempting wallet-emptier.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

iOS 7 and iPhone 5S increased EFFICIENCY by 75%!!1

You'll see it on a slide... sigh

That is certainly wishful thinking that will never materialize. That increased efficiency by 75% part specifically.

Finger print verification can be easier to circumvent than an encrypted password stored on your brain. Why anybody would think that this was a good idea unless specifically being used on a stationary device located in a secure facility is beyond me.

For instance, some gung ho cop that pulls you over who wants to see what is on your phone. Whats to stop him from grabbing your hand and using your index finger to unlock the phone? At least with a password it would physically take a subpoena issued by a judge and even then they cannot force you to violate your 5th amendment right where you would be forced to bear witness against yourself.

Whats to stop the violent and aggressive police that seem to plague our society from using this to there advantage considering it would be their word against yours if they forced you to scan the phone with your finger?

Doesn't anyone ever think of things such as this or is common intelligence out the window for the sake of convenience and pure laziness these days?

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
No, it'll just be a faster processor and all the developer sessions will focus on how to make apps less efficient so that they can properly use the new processor to make a firestarting app.

I'll call mine "Flint". Or maybe "Battery + Steel Wool".

Umm that's what I said. We aren't getting any special features. I said it would be nice. Of course it will be just a new processor. I guess you take things too literally.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.

I mean, they did buy a fingerprint sensor company. Andd they're passionate about security. Also these rumors existed before they bought them.

hushypushy

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
San Jose, CA
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.

You don't expect to see it on mobile phones ever? Well, it's already been equipped on mobile phones, and it didn't really make a splash. The Motorola Atrix I bought in 2009 has a fingerprint sensor. When I went to Japan in 2005, one of the dudes I met there showed me his new phone with a fingerprint sensor.

I agree that it's stupid. The one on my Motorola is extremely hard to use, and there are a few password options that are just as secure.

If they do put it on the 5S, it will be interesting to see how they integrate it; every cell phone fingerprint sensor I've seen so far is UGLY.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm still hoping Apple will announce the 5s at the WWDC, even if it's for a launch later in the year, say July.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Whats to stop the violent and aggressive police that seem to plague our society from using this to there advantage considering it would be their word against yours if they forced you to scan the phone with your finger?

So what if he does. Unless he had a legit reason to pull you over and to search your phone anything he finds wouldn't be hard for a decent lawyer to get tossed

----------

Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

iOS 7 and iPhone 5S increased EFFICIENCY by 75%!!1

But you still have to deal with the developers to write crap code bringing the efficiency down

scottytwo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
every year

"low cost iphone expected to be released in august"

Am I the only one noticing that the rumours of the 'low cost iphone' happen every year?

Sigh.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It's good to see Apple take the threat of an ever dominating innovative Samsung seriously.

Forced to wake up & understand that big bucks sales don't last forever, perhaps Apple will respond with something to rebuild their image as an innovator in the eyes of the public.

Denial may be working splendidly for those who embrace it, but there's no denying that Samsung has a huge presence in America's front room.

The number of widescreen Samsung TV's & Smart TV's in the homes of those who live in the USA & elsewhere, is testimony to the expertise of the company so many here hate.

Samsung is the kick in the ass Apple needs to remain sharp & bring us the world class products Apple is capable of creating, when they feel like it.

Brand recognition is crucial & Samsung has it

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Apple is just going to troll us with minimal updates anyways. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did announce it on this date. I'm much more interested in an iOS upgrade.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
no, before 2011, the iPhone used to be shown at WWDC at the same event the new OS was shown.

That's completely wrong. Please don't post if you're going to spread misinformation as you'll confuse the more impressionable forum members around here.

The iPhone OS was always shown a few months before WWDC (with beta), and then the new iPhone was shown at WWDC along with the final build of the OS which would often reiterate the key points of the new OS along with some potential new software features only available on the new iPhone hardware. Then in 2011 they started showing the new OS at WWDC (with beta), followed up a few months later by an iPhone event and the final build of the OS, reiterate key features, and show any features only applicable to the latest iPhone (like Siri).

I know this gets said a lot on forums, but did you honestly even read my post? I put in a chart of dates that you should go fact check before saying I've got it all wrong. The latest iOS is always shown a few months before they release it to the public with a new iPhone. They haven't shown the new iOS yet, so it would seem unlikely that they would launch it in early June. Is this really that difficult to follow? iOS Beta, few months of betas, iOS release alongside new iPhone hardware. It's been that way every year after initial release in 2007. The only thing that changes are absolute dates.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
That's completely wrong. Please don't post if you're going to spread misinformation as you'll confuse the more impressionable forum members around here.

The iPhone OS was always shown a few months before WWDC (with beta), and then the new iPhone was shown at WWDC along with the final build of the OS which would often reiterate the key points of the new OS along with some potential new software features only available on the new iPhone hardware. Then in 2011 they started showing the new OS at WWDC (with beta), followed up a few months later by an iPhone event and the final build of the OS, reiterate key features, and show any features only applicable to the latest iPhone (like Siri).

I know this gets said a lot on forums, but did you honestly even read my post? I put in a chart of dates that you should go fact check before saying I've got it all wrong. The latest iOS is always shown a few months before they release it to the public with a new iPhone. They haven't shown the new iOS yet, so it would seem unlikely that they would launch it in early June. Is this really that difficult to follow? iOS Beta, few months of betas, iOS release alongside new iPhone hardware. It's been that way every year after initial release in 2007. The only thing that changes are absolute dates.

Good posts.

But what do you think of this...

http://www.cultofmac.com/218357/fin...ne-5-will-come-in-multiple-colors-new-casing/

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
i heard that samsung is also holding an event on June 20th.
if this rumor is true, then it's gonna be an awesome day.

iSir

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
So is this event even relevant anymore? I haven't heard any news about it.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Of course not, Apple just announced iOS 7 Beta 1 and it will take a few months to get it to a stable Beta 6+.

Releasing an iPhone 5S/6/whatever would be insane without the new and improved look of iOS.

The next iPhone will be released in the fall, a few days after the release of iOS 7.

Just like usual.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
it wont offer anything extraordinary so it doesn't matter when they release it.
apple should change the iphone's design, iphone's sales will double if apple manages to come up with a great design.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
What?

And you only want a different design, not even a LAAAARGER screen? Just different?

Your words don't make any sense, do you really think that Apple's iPhone sales will jump to 60 or 80 (60 = estimated half of last quarters more than 40 million iPhone sales were iPhone 5) by changing something and coming up with some "great design" you don't even care enough about to describe it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.