Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Someone PLEASE help me and clear this up. I've been to three Walmarts and called ST myself and still don't understand because everyone explains it SO bad.

I have two iPhone 4s's from just upgrading phones within the family etc, anyway, they both are just sitting on my table unactivated and all. Now, my aunt and uncle want to have iPhones on the most affordable plans,I prefer ST since it uses AT&T towers, and I was going to give them both each an iPhone.

Now, do I purchase the micro AT&T sim card for ST, go into walmart and let them activate it and buy the $45 card and they take care of everything? What's this I read about unlocking and everything? Can't they just stick the GSM sim card in and it will work? Please someone clear this up.

Also, what's the better deal out of the three? I don't know the difference between net10 and ST. I see this Walmart Family Mobile is using Tmobiles towers and it's $40 a month unlimited but i'm not too much of a T mobile fan.

What do NET10 and ST use? Thanks!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
ST has stopped selling the AT&T sims I hear. They still have the TMo sims, but who wants T-Mobile?

Go grab a Net10 SIM for the iPhones.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
ST has stopped selling the AT&T sims I hear. They still have the TMo sims, but who wants T-Mobile?

Go grab a Net10 SIM for the iPhones.

Who wants T=Mobile? I do.

T-Mobile consistently gives me the best call quality and the fastest data speeds than AT&T and Verizon. You shouldn't discourage anyone from trying T-Mobile because they may just happen to be the carrier in their area.

tom2847

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
T-Mobile isn't that great in my area though.

I called ST and they told me they do still do AT&T through them though, guess maybe my best bet is to buy the micro sims on amazon or on ebay?

And no one answered my question, do I just stick it in the "locked" AT&T phone and it will just work after activation?

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I think (I could be wrong on this) that ST At&t sims are only available in the full size sim & you have to cut ti down to micro sim size once activated.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
You can get Net10 SIM cards in store at best buy. It's a 3-pack which includes two AT&T compatible SIM's (full and micro size) and one TMobile compatible SIM (full sized).

If your 4S's are from AT&T, put the AT&T micro SIM in the phone and follow the directions that come in the package. You'll need a $50 unlimited airtime card as part of the activation process. You can buy one at Bestbuy or online from Net10 during the setup. It's all very easy.

BYOP SIM card pack

$50 unlimited card

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Cutting them down is not that hard. Do some searches for sim templates and follow the directions.

OP, I believe the phones have to be unlocked to work. Locking them is a trick used by the carriers to keep people like you from doing what you want to do here. They lock the iPhone to their service. Your phones might still be locked or they might be unlocked. If you don't know, take them into AT&T and ask. If you want to try to get them unlocked, tell them you are traveling internationally and need these to be unlocked. Maybe they'll unlock them. Maybe they'll want a fee to unlock them. Locking & unlocking is mostly at the provider's discretion.

The NET10 sim kit has sims for Tmobile and AT&T so you can cut down the one that matches the service you want. Again, do some searches, locate the template and follow the directions. We just did this with an unlocked iPhone 5 and NET10 to end up on AT&T. With auto bill, it's $45/month for unlimited* everything. A second line can be added for $40/month more.

Also NET10 is Straight Talk (same company underneath 2 names).

If you are afraid of cutting sim cards, there are still some sims available online that will fit the iPhones. Cutting them using the template was not that hard though (if you want to save some money). You can always try to cut your own and fallback to "some guy" on Ebay, etc if you are not successful.

One thing: if you do the research, you'll inevitably find the new zealand website that talks about setting up the settings so that you can SMS, etc. We spent hours trying to make that work before looking a little further into the Net10 instructions to see that we could go to their website to get the iPhone settings. Very easy if you just follow that simple direction.

Corvus32 provided the links to what you need in post #7.

Last edited:

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009

I called ST and they told me they do still do AT&T through them though, guess maybe my best bet is to buy the micro sims on amazon or on ebay?

And no one answered my question, do I just stick it in the "locked" AT&T phone and it will just work after activation?

If you get a Straight Talk or Net10 AT&T SIM you will need to put the SIM in the iPhone, then go to either http://straighttalksim.com or http://net10sim.com in Safari and select DATA/APN Settings to configure the phone for data.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

When I tried out ST I was able to get a SIM card from their website pre-cut for my iPhone 4. It uses AT&T networks. The sim card works in my iPhone 4 (now unlocked) and iPhone 4s (locked). However as others have noted, it is harder to get an AT&T GSM SIM card now.

I since have moved on to AirVoice for even less expensive service.

MewTech

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
AT&T apparently got really butthurt over the MVNO's Bring Your Own Phone program. (read: AT&T is crying because they aren't making as much profit)

AT&T shut down their network for ST. And on Net10, AT&T SIM cards are limited to 1.5GB/month. Which makes no sense since Net10/ST are the same company.

Either way. Instead of paying exorbitant amounts of money on a ST AT&T SIM, just go with Net10, it's the exact same service under a different name, and they still sell AT&T SIMs

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
AT&T apparently got really butthurt over the MVNO's Bring Your Own Phone program. (read: AT&T is crying because they aren't making as much profit)

AT&T shut down their network for ST. And on Net10, AT&T SIM cards are limited to 1.5GB/month. Which makes no sense since Net10/ST are the same company.

Either way. Instead of paying exorbitant amounts of money on a ST AT&T SIM, just go with Net10, it's the exact same service under a different name, and they still sell AT&T SIMs
What do you mean shutdown?

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I use a AT&T Straight Tak SIM in my iPhone 5 and it's just peachy. But to confirm, Straight Talk does not sell AT&T Straight Talk SIM cards anymore and I had to buy mine off of ebay for $50.00.

Get the NET 10 SIM they use the same towers from AT&T just like straight talk does. Tmobile will not be as good (mileage may vary on this statement!).

NOTE: A word of caution; if you have an existing AT&T SIM inside the Phone already, I would use that as the template to cut down the sim card! Reason being is that I downloaded the template to do the SIM Card cut down to NANO SIM Size and when I placed the AT&T Nano SIM on the template to check the accuracy of the actual template, there was like 3/32" discrepancy in size where the template was smaller than the actual Nano SIM from AT&T.

So, I just used the AT&T SIM Card for my Template on the Regular Size Straight Talk AT&T SIM Card that I bought off of ebay.

If you go with NET10 I do believe that their SIM is already NANO SIM Size

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.