Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
hi!

i just received my copy of iLife i was longing for since i heard of its coming into life....

first program i tried was of course garage band. i once bought a Roland PC-300 USB-Keyboard to use it with emagic. this was pre-os-x time

now i expected garageband to just work, so i connected the keyboard to the mac and started garageband made a new song and hit on my keyboard, but i heard nothing. so i tried it with the mouse and the key-board-window and it worked.

it seems as if my usb-keyboard does not work with garageband?! the apple-system profiler shows on the first USB-Bus "Vendor-Specific"

do i do something wrong, or have i missed something?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Re: solution

Yeah, it took me a while to find that too. But if you look at the keyboard, it's a "RolandED PC-300" (or perhaps a Roland ED PC-300.) Took some creative web searching to learn that the ED stands for Edirol.

Anyway, it works great, doesn't it? I just got me a PC-300 off eBay, and I'm jamming in GarageBand now, instead of waiting 6 weeks for the Apple Sotre to get stock of the M-Audio keyboards...

keywe

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2004
Roland PC 300 volume is too low in Garageband

I have OS X Jaguar and an old PC-300 keyboard.
I installed the latest drivers, but the volume is so low when I record
my track that it does NOT match the volume of already made tracks.

Any suggestions??

I turned up the audio in line volume control in SOUND
and in the GarageBand program, the volume is set all the way up.

phpreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Maybe you have to change some preferences in the midi-settings?
it is a long time ago i last used it... but i remember that my pc300 was quiet too. Other tracks were much louder. But i didn't try to find a solution

:/ sorry

eviltwin72uk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
i have just reformatted my mac g4 (running os 10.4.6) and have lost the drivers that allowed my roland ed pc300 to work with logic... i can't find an update online to replace it with... can anyone help ???

eviltwin72uk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
the link posted above seems to have been turned into a driver for another piece of edirol haardware...

marknelson65

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
PC300 not working with Logic Pro

Hi. I have a Roland PC300 Midi keyboard controller which I want to use in Logic Pro on my mac which runs OS X Lion 10.7.5 (bought last year). I downloaded the Roland drivers for this only to find out they don’t work as the OS Lion runs on 64 bit and the PC300 driver has to run on 32bit.

So I purchased a 'Phonic Midi Hub' midi interface and hooked that up via midi cable to the PC300 and by USB to the mac. I added the Mini hub as a midi interface in the ‘Audio/Midi setup’ under applications/utilities on the mac & on the ‘test setup’ for midi in (up arrow) when I played a note on the PC300 it did interrupt the test ‘beep’ signal so assumed this is working OK?!

Now when I try to record midi in logic on a ‘software instrument’ track it shows midi in info being received (on the transport controller section) and records vertical lines in the timeline (not horizontal lines!) but doesn't actually record the midi notes at all! (See pic attached). Consequently when I play back no sound is heard and no midi notes show when I double click the recording I made.

I don't know what this means or what else to do! Can anyone help please? Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• Logic screenshot.jpg
    Logic screenshot.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 458

unomismo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
PC-300 drivers

At this moment Roland from Japan was unable to provide drivers for Mountain Lion, so here in America you will see in the Garage Sale of this spring, thousands of cheap Roland Edirol PC-300. For the time being they're offering a complicated cableware that has to be on a rare installment.
Here is the response:

Roland Product Support (Roland Corporation U.S.)
Mar 26 11:00 am (PDT)

Hi Eli,

At this point we don't expect any more developement on the PC-300. You can use a USB to MIDI interface like our UM-ONE MK2 if you need to connect to a later model computer:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1249

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland Corp. U.S.

Mar 25 07:17 pm (PDT)

Please! I'm stuck on my iMac and can't play on my KB.
Hi guys! tell to our friends in Japan to do something for thousands of users upgrading the drivers!
Please!
Thanks for your attention!
Eli
[/I]

This is the story of a deception

unomismo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Roland PC 300

Hi!
Thanks for the tip but it's quite for me so difficult to attempt that solution not in the range of those programming skills. Anyway, appreciate it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi!
Thanks for the tip but it's quite for me so difficult to attempt that solution not in the range of those programming skills. Anyway, appreciate it.

I could certainly build that driver but that is NOT the way to go. The problem with is stupid non-standard USB keyboard inerfaces is that EVERY time Apple updates the OS the diver break. It's royal pain in the rear. so ignore the USB and connect via the round MIDI jacks with real MIDI cables and you will be set for the rest of you life. Those round jacks are "universally comparable" with every other MIDI her you will buy

unomismo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Roland PC-300

Thanks for you reply Chris!
Now your solution, (the round midi jack) in the keyboard has to find another end. Is there any adapter to plug it in my iMac. Excuse me my ignorance but against it, somebody has to do it in search of light.
Thanks again!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for you reply Chris!
Now your solution, (the round midi jack) in the keyboard has to find another end. Is there any adapter to plug it in my iMac. Excuse me my ignorance but against it, somebody has to do it in search of light.
Thanks again!

And MIDI to USB adaptor that is 100% "class compliant". The words "class compliant" means it follows industry standards and can use the drivers built-in the OS.

Many audio interfaces have MIDI ports too. and you can buy stand alone MIDI adaptors too.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/732

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

The best why to buy one is to call these guys, yess call on the phone and talk to one of the sales reps about what you need. cable lenghts and how many instruments you want to connect
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/midi_interfaces/

unomismo

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Roland PC-300

Thanks ChrisA!
I tried the first 2 options. If you have time and download it and open the "drivers", and take a look to the "read me" file, you will understand my disappoint and confusion about what does Roland wants; $39.00 for a set of cables with a very uneasy steps for make your keyboard work. I will go for your last option. I think it's more professional
and will make me free to further option: to buy another keyboard, and by the way, I'm sure it will not be anymore, a Roland brand.

Thanks a lot for your support!!

----------

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Really old thread but maybe someone can help out. Anyone in this thread still have a Roland PC 300 or know it’s compatibility with Catalina? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.