Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
You mean to say that the square shape with rounded corners is a design choice and doesn't simply reflect the fact that both are designed to fit on a phone with a square shape and rounded corners? Are they suggesting that another shape would fit the iPhone? And as for the integrated credit card holder, others have done that for years.

The cases look nothing like one another anyway. I think Callet is just aping Apple's community design lawsuits, especially by repeating Apple's accusation of "slavish copying" and by complaining about "rounded corners".

And in any case (pun unintentional, don't flame me over it), any design of a credit card holder that leaves the credit cards visible and easily accessible is incredibly stupid. Anyone who gets their credit card (or even just their credit card number) stolen by having it visible on the outside of a case is so moronic that they ALMOST deserve to have it stolen.

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
With the case on, will have to hide my phone when using it from now on. Cos it is too ugly! OMG

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Reaching for money after unsuccessful product sales?

Do I even have to talk about why having your credit cards sticking out of your wallet is a Bad Idea?

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Really MacRumors??? This is about an iPhone CASE company problem... not Apple.

I can understand the rumor mill might be a little slow right now, but if you don't have anything interesting to say, don't say anything at all.

I'll admit this isn't a huge news story but to say it has nothing to do with Apple is not accurate. Did you miss the part about Apple being included in the lawsuit?

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
hm...the case maker may not have big bucks for us to sue so that we can have some money to fix our pathetic design...who else shall we drag in this?
Oh, wait, :apple: has the money!!!

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Apple is all grown up now

Apple has grown large enough to become a lawsuit magnet for anyone suffering a sales slump.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
Such a beautiful case!

I must get one right now! /s

REALLY? What an ugly looking case. Ugly, poor design, etc... Who in their right mind would buy such a case??? The ones made by Speck is much better looking and I don't even buy that!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
can they patent something like that? a case with two holes? no more room for innovation these days. the legal system will kill it.

It's disgusting how clueless people are. It is a design patent, not a utility patent. A design patent has nothing to do with innovation at all. It's not supposed to have anything to do with innovation. You design an item, which means the fancy looks of it and has nothing to do with how it works, and then you get a design patent to prevent others from copying your design, that is the looks of your product. And since copying someone else's design is the complete opposite of innovation, innovation isn't prevented by this in any way.

And in this case, the legal system won't affect Hex very much, because if you bothered to look at the actual design patent through the link in the article, you'll notice that the Hex product may look a bit like the Callet product, but it doesn't look at all like the Callet design patent.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Oh come on - not more of this crap.

btw, who the hell would buy such a thing that completely lacks any sort of protection for the screen? I'm amazed when I see people buy covers whilst ignoring that the most expensive thing to replace is actually the screen and maybe a flip case is the best course of action as to protect ones investment.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I think they're horrible ideas. The last thing I need is for somebody to jack my phone AND my credit cards in one fell swoop. Not to mention, hold one of those up to your ear to talk and you make yourself a bigger target to thieves.

That's why I keep each credit card in a separate wallet, and my cash in my shoe. That way, if one of my wallets gets stolen, I'm only out one credit card.

The only problem is sewing all the extra pockets onto my khakis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.