Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
I was stuck whether to buy now or wait. I got 16% off the iPad mini though due to a family member, so thought I'd just get it now. So far, very pleased. The last iPad I had was #2, which I sold and went with a mac air...but I always missed having the iPad. The new retina iPad doesn't have the same appeal to me for some reason..love how the mini feels :) ...I'm hoping they don't release the mini 2 now until 4th quarter...coz I'm a sucker and would most likely have that 'want,need' feeling again.

Anyway..why wait eh? The next best thing is always around the corner...buy now, enjoy! ...that bus could strike you down tomorrow ;)

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
with the screen size, the next retina update won't be too much of a difference. So you didn't make a bad decision IMO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Enjoy your new baby :D

I love my iPad mini, I'd say if the retina based iPad mini comes soon AND its is what everyone hopes then you can always sell your mini and buy the retina.

I'm content with my purchase so I have little desire for the retina model

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Because most people dont NEED an iPad Mini.

Its $330. They want to get the newest if its out there. If its coming out soon its only logical.

Its smart to do research in really any product you buy.

I still use the iPad 1 I got for free.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Dude if you wait, you're gonna end up continuing to wait. It's only good to wait if you know for a fact there's an imminent announcement about an updated product. Which doesn't happen with Apple.

I got an iPhone 2 weeks ago. I don't care if the 5S is being announced in June. I'll trade my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S4 next month, trade the S4 for an iPhone 5S and be a happy camper.

My iPad Mini on the other hand is a month old and I love it.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
It will, but in OP's case it doesn't much matter, since he's coming from iPad 2.

Ahh, I see :D

Well, definitely stay non-retina OP. Because once you got Retina, it's hard to go backwards (which is why everybody is complaining that the mini is not retina).

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Enjoy your new baby :D

I love my iPad mini, I'd say if the retina based iPad mini comes soon AND its is what everyone hopes then you can always sell your mini and buy the retina.

I'm content with my purchase so I have little desire for the retina model

I'm in the exact same boat.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on an iPad Mini!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Smart move.... here's why I believe that way. First off, I have an iPad Mini and other than the low-res display, it's terrific.

As far as being low-res I knew that going in, thought I would try it, since I already knew from my Nexus 7 experience that the size would be terrific for my highly mobile lifestyle.

Now that I have been using it even more than anticipated, my plan is to place an order the very moment retina equipped Mini's are offered. Once the retina Mini arrives, I will give my existing model to a family member.

The ideal iPad for me will be the retina equipped Mini. If not for the extensive reading I do, on long flights and such I would be fine with what I have.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
That's what I did. The baseline iPad mini was inexpensive enough to just get and enjoy for now. If I want the update I will get it later, but for now I am loving the mini i have.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Smart move.... here's why I believe that way. First off, I have an iPad Mini and other than the low-res display, it's terrific.

As far as being low-res I knew that going in, thought I would try it, since I already knew from my Nexus 7 experience that the size would be terrific for my highly mobile lifestyle.

Now that I have been using it even more than anticipated, my plan is to place an order the very moment retina equipped Mini's are offered. Once the retina Mini arrives, I will give my existing model to a family member.

The ideal iPad for me will be the retina equipped Mini. If not for the extensive reading I do, on long flights and such I would be fine with what I have.

Apologies for veering off some, but how would you compare the mini and nexus 7? I think 7" would be perfect for my needs.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
with the screen size, the next retina update won't be too much of a difference. So you didn't make a bad decision IMO.

i want to see you saying that when they release the retina Mini, there is going to be a BIG difference in picture quality and u know it.

my dad has the Mini and i can see the pixels clearly even in the app icons on the homescreen, its an awesome device but a retina display would make it nearly perfect.

i love the size of the mini too, i sold my ipad 4 2 weeks ago, waiting for the iPad 5 or the Retina iPad mini announcement.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
i want to see you saying that when they release the retina Mini, there is going to be a BIG difference in picture quality and u know it.

my dad has the Mini and i can see the pixels clearly even in the app icons on the homescreen, its an awesome device but a retina display would make it nearly perfect.

i love the size of the mini too, i sold my ipad 4 2 weeks ago, waiting for the iPad 5 or the Retina iPad mini announcement.

Yeah, but the difference is not major like it is w/ the regular size iPad. And when your coming from a iPad2. retina nothing.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Yeah, but the difference is not major like it is w/ the regular size iPad. And when your coming from a iPad2. retina nothing.

yeah okay keep telling yourself that lie over and over again till u realize ur talking non sense, a retina display is a MAJOR upgrade, the ipad is all about its screen, besides, the retina display is not just about Resolution u know, it also has much better colors saturation and what not.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012

What does size have anything to do with it? It's all about pixel density, colour saturation and color gamut. It could be 27" Thunderbolt display or a iPod nano, the difference is plain as day. If you can't see the pixels, you're either holding it too far, your eyes are failing, or your Rx is off. If you enjoy the non-retina's black levels, saturation, and contrast, you simply don't appreciate these things.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apologies for veering off some, but how would you compare the mini and nexus 7? I think 7" would be perfect for my needs.

I like my Nexus 7 a lot. The higher resolution makes a huge difference. In addition it's extremely comfortable to hold since its 15 mm narrower. Along with a 2 mm thicker case with nicely rounded sides & a high quality grippy rubber like back it's got a luxury look & feel the iPad just can't match.

Then there's the pure Android Experience with the very latest rev of the OS, it's a terrific tablet. Personally I far prefer the 7" size, it's the sweet spot.

I have the iPad mini because I'm also a big Apple enthusiast, yet if money was an issue I'd choose the Nexus 7 as my one & only tablet without hesitation.

It can do so much more than any other.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I like my Nexus 7 a lot. The higher resolution makes a huge difference. In addition it's extremely comfortable to hold since its 15 mm narrower. Along with a 2 mm thicker case with nicely rounded sides & a high quality grippy rubber like back it's got a luxury look & feel the iPad just can't match.

Then there's the pure Android Experience with the very latest rev of the OS, it's a terrific tablet. Personally I far prefer the 7" size, it's the sweet spot.

I have the iPad mini because I'm also a big Apple enthusiast, yet if money was an issue I'd choose the Nexus 7 as my one & only tablet without hesitation.

Thanks!

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
yeah okay keep telling yourself that lie over and over again till u realize ur talking non sense, a retina display is a MAJOR upgrade, the ipad is all about its screen, besides, the retina display is not just about Resolution u know, it also has much better colors saturation and what not.

Yes, all of that is true. I'm just saying that since the OP is coming from the iPad 2, it won't be a huge deal in his case. Simple.

----------

What does size have anything to do with it? It's all about pixel density, colour saturation and color gamut. It could be 27" Thunderbolt display or a iPod nano, the difference is plain as day. If you can't see the pixels, you're either holding it too far, your eyes are failing, or your Rx is off. If you enjoy the non-retina's black levels, saturation, and contrast, you simply don't appreciate these things.

Size has a little to do with it. But as I said earlier. The OP is coming from an iPad2 to an iPad mini. The mini is basically a shrunken down iPad 2. So there is not much loss for him...

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I was stuck whether to buy now or wait. I got 16% off the iPad mini though due to a family member, so thought I'd just get it now. So far, very pleased. The last iPad I had was #2, which I sold and went with a mac air...but I always missed having the iPad. The new retina iPad doesn't have the same appeal to me for some reason..love how the mini feels :) ...I'm hoping they don't release the mini 2 now until 4th quarter...coz I'm a sucker and would most likely have that 'want,need' feeling again.

Anyway..why wait eh? The next best thing is always around the corner...buy now, enjoy! ...that bus could strike you down tomorrow ;)

I swore I wouldn't waste money on a mini because I have a third generation ipad with retina until I played with it a few times and was convinced. Now I use it 90 percent of the time. It sounds weird but part of it was me playing with my daughters kindle HD that led me to get one as well. If you read books on a daily basis it's worth it.

funkeruski

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I have also been fighting the buy it now vs wait dilemma. Temptation got the best of me yesterday in Wal Mart. Picked up the 32gb AT&T model. In the few hours I have had it, I'm very happy. Biggest concern was whether this was a legitimate replacement for my full size ipad. I think it is, and can be, so probably gonna sell my ipad 2.

As far as the retina, I had an iPhone 4s for a long time before I sold it and went with a Galaxy S3. Really wanted to to wait for a retina mini, but just couldn't. I'm not kidding myself. As soon as one goes on sale, I will be upgrading. :D

Also gonna sell my Nexus 7. Then Nexus is a great tablet at a great price. But, it is not really good for surfing the Internet. The extra space the mini has on the width really increases the screen real estate, and makes browsing the Internet so much better.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I have the iPad 3, iPhone 5 and a non-retina, but high res, MacBook Pro.

I used the iPad Mini at a shop, and the lack of pixel density was apparent to my eyes; but I have very accurate eyes.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have a nexus 7, an ipad mini, an ipad 3 and a iPod touch 5. The mini is the worst of the bunch. It has a terrible screen, and an awful OS compared to android. I believe those who love the mini are mostly those who probably never had tablet experience and have no credible comparison.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I bought my iPad mini 3 months ago. When it first came out about a year ago, I rejected the mini at first because I have a retina iPad to begin with and I could see the pixels on the mini as well. However, 3 months ago I decided to buy the mini anyway and started to use. Well, the funny thing is, the retina iPad went into the drawer since then and didn't come out again. Once in a while I take the retina iPad out to play and charge but now it feels like a truck. So, it goes back into to the drawer. I will give it to my daughter since she has the 1st gen iPad. Will I buy the retina mini when it comes out? It depends. If it will be thicker, heavier and runs hot, not likely. So, enjoy your mini and don't feel bad. By the way, what makes a big different is the way you hold the mini. I realised that if I use it upright (like I use my retina iPad) Safari pages become too small and the resolution is not ideal. Turn it to landscape, everything fits perfect. The way to use the mini is sideways not upright. Try it if you already haven't and you will see the difference.

blue43fan

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
I have a nexus 7, an ipad mini, an ipad 3 and a iPod touch 5. The mini is the worst of the bunch. It has a terrible screen, and an awful OS compared to android. I believe those who love the mini are mostly those who probably never had tablet experience and have no credible comparison.

And coming from you this means... precisely nothing.

The iPad Mini is the best tablet I've ever used, if you enjoy the Mini now then you've made a good purchase. You could always sell it to upgrade later as others have mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.