Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
You got it real cheap? IPad Mimi's still sell great. Even used. If it was "cheap" then there is a reason. I would have already exchanged it if Apple said I could. Then you know you got a great deal instead of a cheap deal. Just my opinion.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
if i were you i will run immediately to the nearest apple and swap it with a new one. that way you will still have your 14 day return policy and a new apple warranty. can't beat getting an Ipad from Apple rather than from CL.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I am surprised Apple didn't offer to replace it so they could tear it apart and figure out the manufacturing glitch (i.e. whose head will roll).

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I never trust stuff from Craig's List. It is very easy to shrink wrap a box. I think it has been opened and tampered with. Exchange it!

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
After giving much thought, I think I will visit the apple store next week. General consensus here seems to be that I do just that. It's safer in the long run and they are offering me a brand new one for replacement. For $250 though, I think it was a pretty good deal. Much better decision than buying a nexus 7 for that price.
Will keep you guys posted.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Any thoughts or advice?

I would keep it. It's original and the serial number checks out fine. If it's not broken, why travel two hours out of the way to get the exact same thing, except for a stupid little black button? A no brainer if it were me.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I would keep it. It's original and the serial number checks out fine. If it's not broken, why travel two hours out of the way to get the exact same thing, except for a stupid little black button? A no brainer if it were me.
Yeah, it would take 2hrs just to get there, another 2 to get back. Longer if I get stuck in traffic.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Unless he asks Apple customer service to note it in his account/Apple ID/serial #. That way they will know it was a defect from the start and not something he did on his own.

If he called AppleCsre there is already a note. That's how they track how many calls they answered, by putting in notes.

That said, if it was AppleCare, I'm surprised they didn't offer you mail out service. You'll have to give them a credit card to hold the amount of the swap kind of like how hotels hold money for the mini bar when you check in. But otherwise they generally ship the replacement and give you like ten days to get the original one back to them

----------

if i were you i will run immediately to the nearest apple and swap it with a new one. that way you will still have your 14 day return policy and a new apple warranty. can't beat getting an Ipad from Apple rather than from CL.

You only get 14 days etc if you bought from Apple. So its not a promise that this one is covered by that. The iPad could have been originally bought at Beat buy or on say March 1st. Both cases in which you can't return it at this point retail. Best you can do is a service swap and those are final sale in that respect

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
let's see, it's an ipad mini...it's running iOS.... it's clearly not a fake and it's been working just fine for the last couple days.... and it's unique and looks pretty cool... IMO keep it

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
If he called AppleCsre there is already a note. That's how they track how many calls they answered, by putting in notes.

That said, if it was AppleCare, I'm surprised they didn't offer you mail out service. You'll have to give them a credit card to hold the amount of the swap kind of like how hotels hold money for the mini bar when you check in. But otherwise they generally ship the replacement and give you like ten days to get the original one back to them

----------

You only get 14 days etc if you bought from Apple. So its not a promise that this one is covered by that. The iPad could have been originally bought at Beat buy or on say March 1st. Both cases in which you can't return it at this point retail. Best you can do is a service swap and those are final sale in that respect

correction on your statement above - once they accept it and if they give you a new sealed one, they will need to do an exchange and they will give you a new receipt with a new 14 day return policy. since it's new and sealed it just makes sense. all they need to do is to verify the serial no.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
It's starting to grow on me now...although I'm still planning to go, I keep asking myself, is it worth a 4hr drive?

Attachments

• IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
On CL you have to examine and test the product thoroughly. The OP was brave to buy a shrink wrapped item.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013

----------

After reading your post I called apple support again asking them about the mail out service and was told that if I was willing to pay the security deposit, they'll send me a new one. However, I was also told that since it's only a cosmetic issue, my case may be rejected by the support center. If this happens, I will have to send the replacement back to apple in order to get my deposit back.

88uu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I found this shrink wrap still laying around the house. Let me know if the barcode label on it gives you an idea of which store it's from.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I found this shrink wrap still laying around the house. Let me know if the barcode label on it gives you an idea of which store it's from.

You're thinking into this way too much. Call and demand they ship you a replacement- tell them that a physical Apple Store you called said they would exchange it for you but you cannot get there. My closest Apple Store is only an hour away and they did this for me. In fact, I've done this a few times, it's no big deal. They are not going to give you a hard time about it being a cosmetic issue because you aren't sending it in for repair, you are simply returning it and they are initiating the replacement before yours even gets into their hands. Ask for the Customer Relations department if you have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.