Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liam1981

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
I was just wondering Can anybody give me some information My iPad 4 Seems to be getting warm down the one side The Left hand side On the white Border On the side with no Side buttons Some help would be much appreciated

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
That's where the Graphic Card is located and it will tend to get hot after prolong use.

new_ipad_heat1.jpg

Devlin234

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the info Would you say 10 minutes is Prolong use That's when it starts to get Hot

Don't worry. You could use it from 100% - 0% while playing a graphic intense game (like infinity blade) and nothing will happen. It's the battery that's making it feel hot and 3D games usually make it hotter than other things. But nothing will happen no matter how long you use it. Besides If it got too hot it would give a temperature warning and automatically power off. You should be fine:)

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I was just wondering Can anybody give me some information My iPad 4 Seems to be getting warm down the one side The Left hand side On the white Border On the side with no Side buttons Some help would be much appreciated

I put an InvisibleShield on the back and now I can't feel the heat. Try a skin or back cover

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If the iPad is acting weird in any other ways like crazy fast battery drain, keyboard stutters or delays, apps closing themselves out etc then you might have some corrupted software adding to the screwy. Might be worth doing a restore. Backup your stuff first and then restore it in iTunes. It's best to clean sync rather than an iTunes or iCloud backup they say but I have rarely to never had an issue come back right away from an iCloud so I use those since I have tons of apps all in folders etc and don't want to rebuild everything.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I thought I would chime in here instead of starting a new thread.

My wife's iPad 4 gets very hot, and not just on one side or the back. The sides are hot, the back is hot, the top and bottom are hot. And the battery seems to be draining too fast. She used it for about two hours this morning, mostly reading but also playing some game, and it's down to 69%.

It's about two weeks old. I got a 4 at the same time and have none of these issues.

Take it back to Apple and have them look at it?

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Thanks. We bought it from Sam's Club, which is a lot closer than the Apple Store. I think we'll dash over there and swap it for a new one.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 4 ran at a much higher temperature than my iPad 3 did plus it had really bad light bleed. i actually ended up returning the iPad 4 and going back to an iPad 3 refurb and saved $150. the real funny thing is, the iPad 3 runs cooler and has a perfect screen (no tint, no light bleed)

even though my iPad 3 runs cooler than my iPad 4, it still runs hotter than the iPad 2 i used to have before i gave it to my brother. i definitely miss the iPad 2 being lighter and how you could run that device through its paces and it will only be warm from your hands...not from the device itself. oh well, the Retina screen is worth it IMO

if the iPad 4 is running too hot for you, i would return it and buy an iPad 4 refurb. all of my refurbs have actually been of higher quality than the brand new ones (iPad 2's and iPad 3's). the refurb units get 100% inspections as they are taken apart and re-assembled and fully tested. you might not like the idea of owning a "used" product, but you get a brand new battery and exterior. you don't touch anything that was used by someone else. the only thing that gets re-used would be the mother board, the screen underneath the outer glass layer, and the interior ports and interior button switch connections. you will save $50 which you can then use to go buy a case

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
She had a 2 before this 4 and we both remarked it felt lighter than the 4. I had refurbed 1 and 3 and they were both great. No problems at all. They take about 2 weeks to get here, though. I doubt she's gonna want to go without her iPad for 2 weeks. :) I think we'll head over to Sam's and swap it out. We have some other stuff to get anyway.

Like I said, mine doesn't even get warm. Odd.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
She had a 2 before this 4 and we both remarked it felt lighter than the 4. I had refurbed 1 and 3 and they were both great. No problems at all. They take about 2 weeks to get here, though. I doubt she's gonna want to go without her iPad for 2 weeks. :) I think we'll head over to Sam's and swap it out. We have some other stuff to get anyway.

Like I said, mine doesn't even get warm. Odd.

it doesn't take that long, trust me. it says "available to ship in 3-5 days". if you place the order today it will ship out on Monday or Tuesday and you will get it either Friday or Monday of the following week

saving $50 is worth it to me, b/c that's a case right there

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I asked her and guess what she said?

"And go without my iPad for HOW long?" :D

She has a nice case already, else I'd try that one out on her.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I asked her and guess what she said?

"And go without my iPad for HOW long?" :D

She has a nice case already, else I'd try that one out on her.

"Honey, Sam's Club was out of the iPad 4. So I placed an order online and it will be in here in about a week"

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks for the info Would you say 10 minutes is Prolong use That's when it starts to get Hot

It can be if you're gaming on it. Ten minutes of Infinity Blade is more than enough for it to get warm/hot.

It should never get hot enough to burn you, though. THAT would be a safety hazard and a reason to take it to have the Genius look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.