Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applexeater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
So, I've decided to buy a new iPod Touch 5g. I'm having a hard time deciding which model to get, though. After all, $100 dollars difference is pretty significant. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to estimating this kind of stuff, so I'm turning to you all for help. :eek:

Here's an idea of what I plan to put on it: About 12.5 gb worth of music and podcasts, which will obvious grow a little as time passes. I don't keep movies on my iPad, so I don't plan on keeping them on my iPod. As far as apps go, I have around 170 on my iPad currently, most of which I don't use, so I'm estimating a little less than that on my iPod. I'm taking into consideration that I'll be taking a good bit of pictures and maybe a few videos on it as well.

I don't wanna spend the extra $100 on memory I'll never use, but I also don't want to be heartbroken if I run out. :(

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
I'd say save a little and get the 64 so you don't go completely broke like I did lol.
You're not actually getting. 32. More like 28gb? I don't currently have my my ipod on me. But I'd suggest the 64

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
You may have to manage your use more but I think the 32 is the way to go. As apps (and iOS) develop they are going to need improved processors and ram. Your device is going to be outdated regardless of the amount of storage. The camera is also going to improve.

Disclaimer: It chapped my ass that I had to upgrade my 64gb 4g Touch because it was so laggy running the apps I used. With all the music I owned on it I still had 11gb free. I though I would have another 2 years out of it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I'll recommend the 32GB model for now. By the time your collection of music and apps hit the storage limit, the next generation of iPod Touch would've been released and then you can get the 64GB model. :)

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I say go with the 64 gb.

When my 120gb iPod Classic dies, that is what i'll be getting. But hopefully by that time there will be at 128 GB iPod Touch. Can you image 128gb of flash storage :D

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I bought the 32Gb, found it wasn't big enough, bought the 64 then sold the 32.

applexeater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Thanks for the input, y'all!

I've decided to go with the 32. Even though it would be nice to have that extra storage so I could go crazy loading it up, it just feels a lot more comfortable saving that extra $100. Plus, I have an iPod Classic that I use now, so I'll probably just use that to carry all of my music and my iTouch just for the stuff I actually listen to.

Thanks again! :p

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
I use mine as a PDA and thus have loads of apps and data on it, plus I like to have my entire music library with me everywhere (~25GB). I already had a 32GB iPod Touch 4th gen and while I loved it because it was a gift, I got real tired of constantly swapping my music.

Bought the 64GB iPod Touch 5 last October and haven't looked back. Got everything I could possibly want loaded on it, and have 9GB left over. That was worth the extra $100 to me.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
You are better off having more space than you need, then running out.
If you plan on using the camera a lot and shooting vides. I'd go the 64GB route.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Go for the 64GB.
Films and Apps take up space and even though you'll probably delete your films here and there, it's better to have a few GB spare capacity than not have enough to put stuff on.

thatgirl87

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Movies and apps take up the most space, so definitely go for the 64 gb model. It's better to have extra space than not enough.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
You could always get it from a place with a 30 day return policy for opened devices. I think apple stores have that. Then you could put all you want on it and see how full it is.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
With every iOS device the largest storage capacity is obviously the best option. When it comes to an individuals preference however there are two things to consider.

1.) Price: If money is not a problem them always go for the best product. In this case that means the 64GB model.
2.) Usage: If price is an option I would advice you to go with the largest capacity you can afford, UNLESS you need more storage space. In that case I would simply advice you to save up for the better model.

Remember, when it comes to determining storage needs don't look at your needs now. Compare you needs today versus a couple years ago. That will help you see which model you'll likely need in the long run.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I got the 64GB version and I've filled it up. I've got about 16 GB of music on there, 26 GB of videos and the rest is audiobooks, apps and pictures. If you are unsure you should go for the higher capacity.

elliwhi

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2011
UK
32 is good as that's what I have now and I only use about 10Gb overall. It's worth it but if you plan to watch tons of movies then get 64 :)

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
what is the shelf life on these things? I mean £300 is a big spend out on a device that will be laggy and start to chug after a couple of years and need 'upgrading'. i'll only use a touch for music pure and simple, no apps or other nonsense whatsoever so I don't mind spending £300 if I know I'm gonna get a good few years use out of it.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
For me, I had 31gigs of music, so it was simple, get the 64. This allows me to have a nice chunk of photos, plus keep a half dozen movies or so on the device for when I am traveling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.