Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
Hi all, need some advice.

Parents' iMac G5 finally given up the ghost.

They're set on an iMac.

We can't afford an SSD or, really, a fusion drive.

On the other hand I am loath to get the stock 5200rpm HDD for 2 reasons. 1. Its even slower than last years HD (despite increased cache) and 2. over time it will slow considerably.

Whats the best option?

Cheap Macbook with SSD-->External display and keyboard/mouse?

Get pre-2012 iMac and swap out HDD for SSD?

Live with it...it won't slow that much?

What would you do? Hope I'm clear in this post...

Thanks in advance

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK

They're set on an iMac.

On the other hand I am loath to get the stock 5200rpm HDD for 2 reasons. 1. Its even slower than last years HD (despite increased cache) and 2. over time it will slow considerably.

Whats the best option?

Thanks in advance

Live with it :) The HDD wont slow down over time it might just.... Break. Don't forget, HDDs aren't exactly slow, they still do everything that one would want from them, you may have snappier performance with an SSD and I would think very arefully myself when getting my next laptop due to the SSD on my MBA but they still have large storage capacities and are cheap. Don't fret, they're still good! I would be so happy with an iMac, it doesn't matter about the SSD!

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007

They're set on an iMac.

Whats the best option?

Thanks in advance

If you can't afford the Fusion upgrade, then you prob can't afford AppleCare - which is compulsory, (as far as I'm concerned with the iMacs).

Just buy the base cMBP; just as capable (for parents), and it is a lot easier to manage and support by yourself.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
Actually we can afford it as I'm a student and it only costs £50. Also I'm less convinced of the need for AppleCare on desktops, whatever your personal experience might have been.

What's a cMBP? They don't want too small a screen and to be bending their necks...

----------

Live with it :) The HDD wont slow down over time it might just.... Break. Don't forget, HDDs aren't exactly slow, they still do everything that one would want from them, you may have snappier performance with an SSD and I would think very arefully myself when getting my next laptop due to the SSD on my MBA but they still have large storage capacities and are cheap. Don't fret, they're still good! I would be so happy with an iMac, it doesn't matter about the SSD!

Gotcha. I'm just worried because the only reason the iMac g5 we have is going us because its slowed to a crawl despite repeated wipes. Processor and graphics card just isn't important to my parents

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Actually we can afford it as I'm a student and it only costs £50. Also I'm less convinced of the need for AppleCare on desktops, whatever your personal experience might have been.

What's a cMBP? They don't want too small a screen and to be bending their necks...

----------

Gotcha. I'm just worried because the only reason the iMac g5 we have is going us because its slowed to a crawl despite repeated wipes. Processor and graphics card just isn't important to my parents

iMac for you then! Enjoy!

Ps cMBP is a 'common MacBook Pro'... Normal one, no retina... 15" is nice and big but portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.