Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I use iDentify to tag them and add artwork automatically. Works great.

Identify is great because you can just enter the movies imdb code and it automatically finds the data.

I use subler to add subtitles to all the movie and tv shows

thegluchow

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
I use a program on the mac called ivi (not sure if it's mentioned in the thread, 52 pages is alot). It converts video and audio to m4v format without having to recode the video if not necessary. Updates the metadata as well all in one shot. Very fast and easy to use.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
anyone know if its possible to group tv shows together? as in, right now i have friends season 3 and 4, can i combine it so its just friends, and then when i click on friends see all the seasons within that part of itunes. it will get crowded when i add in all the season and more shows.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Yes and no.

The way iTunes handles TV shows is it treats each season as its own separate entry. But there is a workaround. If you right-click each season and choose Get Info (or press Command+I), choose the Video tab on the window that pops up and delete the season and episode numbers.

Go back to the info tab and you'll see the album title is Friends, Season ##. Make it so it's just Friends and then treat the Track Number field as episode number and the Disc Number field as season number. So disc 2, track 1 would actually be season 2, episode 1.

You'll have to go through and input this manually for each episode, so it can be a bit time consuming depending on how many episodes and TV shows you have.

MattieD

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
OK I'm a noob and I have a few questions as I've been wanting to start ripping my library.

1) What is muxing?
2) What external blu-ray drive have you guys had good luck with? Is it usb or firewire?
3) Are you ripping the blu-rays on a mac or pc?
4) About how long does it take you to rip and encode a movie?

With my MBP 2.4 Core 2 Duo it takes like 2 hours or so just to do one movie. I can't imagine how long a blu-ray rip would take. I've been contemplating building a quad core pc to do the heavy processing since I can do that pretty inexpensively well compared to a mac

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
anyone know if its possible to group tv shows together? as in, right now i have friends season 3 and 4, can i combine it so its just friends, and then when i click on friends see all the seasons within that part of itunes. it will get crowded when i add in all the season and more shows.

If its season one just number the episodes 101,102,103 etc. season two 201,203,204. And now delete the season numbers, and all your episodes will be in order of season altogether

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
im surprised how many aren't as fussed as i am about high quality art work for their media. :p

Last edited:

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Posters in .mkv

Does anyone know if there is a way to add Poster artwork to .mkv files, so when I am scrolling through my movies in Finder, I can see the posters for each movie.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
TV Shows
116mj2f.png

Movies
2eba0l0.png

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I don't use anything really. I get my posters from google and the description from a movie rental website and use doug's scripts to input them. I would use metax but everytime I try and tag a movie it just deletes it. I have lost about 5 movies through metax.

1. What are "doug's scripts"?

2. I use MetaX frequently and have never had that problem. Perhaps re-download the latest version?

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Does anyone know if there is a way to add Poster artwork to .mkv files, so when I am scrolling through my movies in Finder, I can see the posters for each movie.

Here is how you do that step-by-step.

Step 1: Starting off with an .mkv on my desktop for the example.

step 1.jpg

Step 2: Go to Google image search, or wherever you get your poster artwork from, and right click on the image you want and select "Copy".

step 2.jpg

Step 3: On your .mkv file, do a "Get Info" command and highlight the icon by clicking on the area shown.

step 3.jpg

Step 4: Do a Command-V to paste the copied poster into the icon and voila, your .mkv file should now show the poster you want.

step 4.jpg

Just a large icon view of the .mkv file in a Finder window showing the artwork.

step 5.jpg

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Here is how you do that step-by-step.

Step 1: Starting off with an .mkv on my desktop for the example.

View attachment 380047

Step 2: Go to Google image search, or wherever you get your poster artwork from, and right click on the image you want and select "Copy".

View attachment 380048

Step 3: On your .mkv file, do a "Get Info" command and highlight the icon by clicking on the area shown.

View attachment 380049

Step 4: Do a Command-V to paste the copied poster into the icon and voila, your .mkv file should now show the poster you want.

View attachment 380050

Just a large icon view of the .mkv file in a Finder window showing the artwork.

View attachment 380051

That's just a general way to associate pictures with files in Finder, right? If you ever move these movies somewhere else (not using Finder) then these artworks will never show up, I guess.

Matroska supports embedding of artworks, however, there is basically no program that reads this metadata from the mkv.

Apple's m4v seems to be the only format that allows convenient artwork and subtitle embedding, with support to view it and play it (in OS X at least).

Other common formats as mp4, still has no such widespread support, even if the container itself supports it. The recommended way is still to keep a subtitle as external file, and artwork in as external file, in the same folder as the mp4 is in. I thought there would be an accepted standard by now for movies with cross-wise OS support, but no... it's still a mess.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
That's just a general way to associate pictures with files in Finder, right? If you ever move these movies somewhere else (not using Finder) then these artworks will never show up, I guess.

Matroska supports embedding of artworks, however, there is basically no program that reads this metadata from the mkv.

Apple's m4v seems to be the only format that allows convenient artwork and subtitle embedding, with support to view it and play it (in OS X at least).

Other common formats as mp4, still has no such widespread support, even if the container itself supports it. The recommended way is still to keep a subtitle as external file, and artwork in as external file, in the same folder as the mp4 is in. I thought there would be an accepted standard by now for movies with cross-wise OS support, but no... it's still a mess.

I didn't too much testing. But since he stated he browses through the Finder, that process fits the bill. I agree though, still not as good as embedded artwork or an image in the folder if your hardware/software supports that method.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Started collapsing TV Show Series into one. Got sick of waiting for Apple to fix the issue on the ATV, so took things into my own hands.
Only current seasons are safe from the reorganisation!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 3.36.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-06 at 3.36.38 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 504

souvlakii

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I'm about to start ripping my movie collection, but I had a question about hard-coded subtitles.

Let's say I'm watching a normal movie without subtitles, like the Godfather. And then a scene comes up where they speak italian, so the subtitles show translating to the dialog.

How can I make sure I'm not losing these subs?

Sorry guys, total dvd ripping newb here.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
There's an option in Handbrake for Foreign Language Search, this scans for those subtitles. But it doesn't always work. My advice is be mindful of the movies you know have these subtitles and play the DVD through your Mac's DVD player and test out the different subtitle options to see which one is right. That's the best way to be sure.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'm about to start ripping my movie collection, but I had a question about hard-coded subtitles.

Let's say I'm watching a normal movie without subtitles, like the Godfather. And then a scene comes up where they speak italian, so the subtitles show translating to the dialog.

How can I make sure I'm not losing these subs?

Sorry guys, total dvd ripping newb here.

You might also try using a .SRT file instead of using hard-coded subtitles. If you use .SRT files I highly recommend Subfix. You can easily adjust the timing and never have to worry about finding the .SRT that syncs with your handbrake rip.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Video content in playlists shows incorrectly

Can anyone help give advise on how to uses playlists properly for non-music media in the newest iTunes? I've had a heck of a time trying to get things organized the way I want, and the new views are just awful.

As seen attached I have clipped a section of movies that I have in a playlist; these are files bought in iTunes and not modified in any way. They show up just fine in the dedicated Movies section, but if I place them in a playlist to help keep them organized (in this case I created one to segregate movies purchased in iTunes vs others that I import), it all goes up in smoke.

It sorts by artist, which iTunes populates with director, then uses the album field instead of title to display more information. There's no way to sort by title accurately because even if you choose to sort by title, it does it by album title not movie title. This is ridiculous and seriously cumbersome. Does anyone have any tricks they've found to alleviate this nonsense? :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 11.31.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 11.31.11 PM.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 121

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
What I do for movies that are in a series in the playlist is I'll give them each a track number and then sort by that. Unfortunately, this will only work if you use list view. Can't seem to get it to work in grid view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.