Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
1.4TB...? Uploaded to the internet? Unless you have unIimited internet that’d kill your data cap for years (literially!) :eek:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that - I'm on a 200GB/month plan (and that's pretty generous by local standards) so that's over two years to upload (as long I don't download or upload anything else) by which point I'd probably have another TB or 2 to deal with (slowly upgrading DVDs to BluRay).

Still, one day they'll expand the fibre network out to here and if the local ISPs decided to offer that sort of service (with the data not included in your cap) then a cloud-based backup would be certainly be a great option.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
My iTunes library is primarily music. At some point I actually started to removing music from my library. Having a ton of music in my library that I don't like and am never going to listen to is counterproductive and just makes selecting music to play more of a pain. I don't delete the music completely and it ends up on my archive drive (keeping it just in case), but it's not added to iTunes. Though, at the same time, I started ripping/buying lossless for all new music I add to iTunes.

I've got my collection down to a reasonable 80GB. I'm hoping a 128GB (or bigger) iPhone comes out so that I can store my entire collection on the device (without transcoding).

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
How do you decide what to cut? You might hate those songs you're dumping right now, but life is long and tastes change. It's been years since I listened to Brian Eno but I stumbled across him the other day while browsing my library (in Cover Flow so in your face iTunes 11!) and now the Ambient Music playlist is on my iPod touch.

That's always seemed the point of having a large media library.

Have you ever noticed that people will watch a movie that's been edited (butchered) for TV and jammed with commercials even though they own the Blu-ray version? It's human nature to be lazy, which is why I think once you've archived stuff off iTunes, you'll never see/hear it again.

Attachments

• library.png
    library.png
    27 KB · Views: 1,341
Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How do you decide what to cut? You might hate those songs you're dumping right now, but life is long and tastes change. It's been years since I listened to Brian Eno but I stumbled across him the other day while browsing my library (in Cover Flow so in your face iTunes 11!) and now the Ambient Music playlist is on my iPod touch.

Bought "Music for Airports" when it was released in '78, based on a recommendation. Thought it was rubbish. About fifteen years later I started liking it, and it's still great. Could do with less background noise.

sallenmd

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
30 Years' Worth

Obviously, GB is meaningless because a few WAV files take up the same space as a lot of 128K AACs. I have 197,000 music tracks in my library. That represents more than thirty years of collecting music of almost every genre. I listen to music most of the time I'm awake because it distracts me from the horrible ringing in my ears. I like a wide variety of music from all over the world and all through history.

klep28

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Wa. State.
1372gb's, all music @ AAC 128kbps. 295,167 'songs', 1062 days. In order to work my way through all this music I add (New) after the genre (i.e. Jazz A-L (New)) to each album and remove it after I listen to it. I add a * to those albums that I find particularly appealing.

Last edited:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Our lines just doubled where we are, its great living next to such a bandwitdh demanding company like intel ;)

But I just started my library 2.4 gigs and growing at a rate of round 67 songs a day

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
At this moment i have a iTunes library only for my music and it's 493GB large and holds 79211 Songs.

There isnt much more musicwise that interests me so the growth has stopped for a good year or 2 now

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
1372gb's, all music @ AAC 128kbps. 295,167 'songs', 1062 days. In order to work my way through all this music I add (New) after the genre (i.e. Jazz A-L (New)) to each album and remove it after I listen to it. I add a * to those albums that I find particularly appealing.

So you could get yourself 12 Apple IDs, buy iTunes Match 12 times, distribute your music into 12 libraries, and upgrade everything to 256 Kbps. Well, you'll need a new hard drive. And a good internet connection.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
1.4TB...? Uploaded to the internet? Unless you have unIimited internet that’d kill your data cap for years (literially!) :eek:

I put about 800GB from my desktop, plus probably 200GB more from my laptop and from my girlfriend's laptop up to Backblaze in a little under two months (and it's not like I leave my computers on all the time... they're all set to sleep after a while).

My ISP didn't care... I was all set to get a "warning" email from Comcast for going over the "cap" on my unlimited internet, but it never happened.

Nlrwilson

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2010
Arkansas
Biggest iTunes Library

I just checked on my 2 external drives, 549 gb. of iTunes music, tv, movies. But you know how do you really get an exact who's no.1 or 3rd, or ..... because of different file sizes and so forth

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I put about 800GB from my desktop, plus probably 200GB more from my laptop and from my girlfriend's laptop up to Backblaze in a little under two months (and it's not like I leave my computers on all the time... they're all set to sleep after a while).

My ISP didn't care... I was all set to get a "warning" email from Comcast for going over the "cap" on my unlimited internet, but it never happened.

wow.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
70gb of music in iTunes but my movies and TV arent imported - over 1tb in movies and about 600gb of TV. Far far too much but if I watch something once I might want to watch it again...

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
I have around 770 GB of music stored as AAC "iTunes Plus" for iPod playback. :cool: I also keep a backup as Apple Lossless but I won't include that. :eek:

If we're including film then I have around 1TB of movies and TV shows encoded to "iPad" with Handbrake.

Last edited:

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Nothing overly impressive relative to what is in this thread, but I have around 8,400 songs in my iTunes Library. That's more than enough in my opinion to last me a while before I get bored of my music; I used to download tons of music without even really bothering to listen to it, but that was ultimately pointless. I try to listen to everything first before downloading it these days. Thanks Spotify :)

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

My computer is always on, and in the background it is backing everything up to Crashplan, including my iTunes library. It has uploaded nearly 2tb in the last year.

Sky unlimited broadband in the UK really is unlimited it seems. I've never heard a thing from them about my usage.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Mine is:

24597 songs, 78 days, 101.38GB.

All currently in the cloud thanks to iTunes Match. I have to be selective now as to new albums I add so as not to exceed the 25000 song limit imposed by iTunes Match.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I know my TopGear episodes alone are over 750GB. I hate to see the combined movies, music and TV Shows total I have in there. But when you throw a 4TB drive under the desk specifically for the iTunes library, you kind of just don't care anymore. :D

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I'm currently setting at about 500gb give or take. I've been collecting since 2005. Spotify has definitely saved me tons of harddrive space.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
I trimmed down my iTunes music library from about 15000 songs to about 6000 songs, that I actually listen to, when I bought a SSD for my MBP last year. I put the old library on an external harddrive so I could re-add songs if I ever wanted to. I also have a library, on an external harddrive, with about 30 GB of my favorite albums in ALAC.
I use PLEX for TV-shows and movie streaming. I think theres about 1 TB of videos in various quality.

I miss Cover Flow some times and Home Sharing between iTunes and iOS-devices are a bit buggy, other than that, iTunes 11 works very well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.