Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
The ease that Apple allows when moving to a new phone is really good. I backed up my daughters Iphone 4 to my MacBook Pro and got her an Iphone 5 at Verizon. When I came home, I just plugged it in and selected "Restore" on Itunes and all her photos, videos, etc were put back in. There really is an advantage in staying with Apple, rather than jumping to an Android phone.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Just as Apple always says, 'it just works.' :apple:

While other smartphone users spend time configuring their phones, you spend time doing the things you want to do with your iPhone! :)

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
You can also do the same with android, back it up with Google and load all back on your new device. Just saying...

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You can also do the same with android, back it up with Google and load all back on your new device. Just saying...

Last I knew, native backup to Google doesn't backup SMS and call logs. Has this changed with Android 4.x?

If not, one of the great things about the iOS ecosystem is that the default settings for backup to a computer backup everything. Really helpful if you're swapping iPhones. iCloud also does a good job in terms of "turn iCloud backup on, forget it, and it restores well when needed".

Android bit me big time on the SMS/call log backup. Coming from iOS, I assumed those things were being backed up to Google's servers in Gingerbread and they weren't. I had to root my phone just to get a decent backup solution on Android -- Titanium Backup.

In fact, Google's native backup "solution" didn't even keep a backup of my folder layout so I literally had to spend hours (before I got Titanium) putting all my restored apps back into folders. Complete waste of time. I hope they've addressed those issues since Gingerbread.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Getting a new iphone may be pretty easy to set it up, but getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive means your iphone is about to get completely wiped and the instructions apple gives you are not very good...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Getting a new iphone may be pretty easy to set it up, but getting a new computer or replacing a hard drive means your iphone is about to get completely wiped and the instructions apple gives you are not very good...

WRONG.

If the device doesn't use iCloud backup, Time Machine for Mac backups up all necessary data.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
WRONG.

If the device doesn't use iCloud backup, Time Machine for Mac backups up all necessary data.

Very true! Even better, when getting a new Mac, just use migration assistant and seamlessly transfer everything to a new mac via wifi or ethernet. Make sure on new mac that you authorize it in iTunes.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
My coworker was amazed in the same way when he switched from his 3GS to a new 4S. He actually said he was expecting more difficulty. Felt that it was "too simple", and that there was a gimmick somewhere that would cause a problem for sure. Kept waiting for it too. He actually sounded bored with the transition. Funny guy.

iCloud doesn't back up the media, does it? Or it does if there's no computer backup at all?

iCloud only backs up major data and settings from what I've read. No applications and media. Other than pictures and videos taken with the phone.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Android phones are pretty simple too....
All of my contacts were google contacts which synced when I hooked up a new phone. All I had to do was move my SD card over to get the rest of my stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.