Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Bear with me if this has been asked many times, but I'm trying to share folders with my sisters iBook.

Network set-up:

1 eMac (running Panther) connected to a Linksys Wireless router via ethernet

1 iBook (running Tiger) connected via the aforementioned Linksys router. It connects to the internet fine.

Basically, even though I've enabled folders on both computers, they wont see each other. On the iBook, if I goto Go> Network- nothing happens. So I goto Go> Connect to Server, and type in the afp server name. It'll spend a while trying to connect to the server, but it always fails.

Please help, as I am a bit useless with networking.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In the System Preferences, is AppleTalk turned on (under Network) and also, under the Sharing tab, I find it works better with FTP Access turned off for some reason.

Oh, and do you have a third party software firewall turned on?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
If you're in the same house, I find it easiest to create your own WiFi network by clicking on the airport tab in the menu bar then Create Network, put in a name, make sure Personal File Sharing is on in system preferences and then connect using the other computer (click on air port icon in menu bar and select name you created). If you're at different ends of the country do as mad jew suggested.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
neocell said:
If you're in the same house, I find it easiest to create your own WiFi network by clicking on the airport tab in the menu bar then Create Network

Doesn't that just make an ad-hoc network though? Would it go through the router? I would have thought, since they're on the same wireless network anyway, this wouldn't be necessary but I could very well be wrong.

neocell said:
If you're at different ends of the country do as mad jew suggested.

Linksys routers are good, but not that good. :D

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
you did the whole system preferences > sharing > personal file sharing thing?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Me Dumb, didn't read too good.
I've had problems trying to access files when I go through my router, it's a piece of crap though. So yes it is just an ad hoc network, about 5 times faster data transfer than through the SpeedStream that I have.

I'm just more accustomed to this, since I had the two computers (PB and iMac) for quite a while before getting high speed and a router.

Well, works for me at least, though I have to set it up each time that I want to transfer files that are too large for bluetooth or my key

***EDIT***
I had to set up a home network with the software that came with the router in order to file sharing and internet access, and it was not user friendly.

Apple fix:
When you set personal file sharing you should get a URL address "afp://blahblahblah" coming up at the bottom of the Personal File Sharing window. Try putting that in the URL window in Safari of the other computer and it "should" see the first computer.

***2nd EDIT***
Made things a bit clearer :D Crap image what the first edit was like

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's certainly an option neocell but if the router's even half decent, it's much easier to use 'normal' networking as opposed to ad-hoc. It's a more permanent solution. :)

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
mad jew said:
It's certainly an option neocell but if the router's even half decent, it's much easier to use 'normal' networking as opposed to ad-hoc. It's a more permanent solution. :)
Yeah, I hear yah. I just put an edit up to hopefully figure this out

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
OK.....

I've turned Personal File Sharing on both machines. I go into Go> Network on the eMac. It sees the iBook. I double click on the iBook in the Network window. It asks me which 'which volume you'd like to mount'. These reflect the log-in accounts on the iBook. I choose the one I want. Then nothing. I cant see anyway of access the iBook.

Its not on the desktop, nor is it in the Network window. (i've turned appletalk on both machines- no difference)

Doing the same thing on the iBook- is sees the eMac. It attempts to connect. I give it a while, but it always says that the 'server has failed to connect'.

Also, to the person who mentioned it, there isnt an airport tab on the eMac (no airport card). I've tried too do 'create network' on the airport tab, but didnt work.

Firewall- I use the hardware firewall on the router. I tried switching it off, but it made no difference.

Help me. sob.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
UPDATE: I can access the 'drop box' on the iBook from the eMac. Thats one-way sharing now!

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
have you tried using the afp:// address that comes up at the bottom of the system prefs window in Safari of the other machine? If this still doesn't work I'd try calling the router support guys and explain the situation to them

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 109
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.