Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
This is a dumb question. I recently bought my first Canon DSLR (T4i) after many years with Canon PowerShot S5 IS. I am very happy with it and improving my shooting abilities the more I shoot -- plus having two kids provide plenty of such opportunities.

I have just stepped up to Manual shooting and want to go "all natural" in my pictures (i.e. only focus on exposure, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed with no camera processing). Thus, I was wondering if there any of the dozens of image/camera settings (white balance, background blah blah, etc) that I can just keep "off" or if any should be included. For example, white balance should it be 'auto' or should I consider it more carefully depending on situation?

There are so many settings that it seems like they must have a purpose in improving pictures... is that so?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I have just stepped up to Manual shooting and want to go "all natural" in my pictures (i.e. only focus on exposure, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed with no camera processing). Thus, I was wondering if there any of the dozens of image/camera settings (white balance, background blah blah, etc) that I can just keep "off" or if any should be included.

There's no such thing as a dumb question!

I would just be careful with what you mean by no processing.

If you shoot raw the photos will not come out on your computer as you see them on the back of your camera as your cameras LCD shows you a JPEG preview of the shot. This is sometimes why you will see shots dull as you load them up on your computer.

Shooting in M all the time is a good move to starting to take complete creative control.

Be careful as well with somethings that you have thrown into the image/camera settings genre. White balance has always been around and is a tool to explain to the camera the colour of light which is something our eyes do automatically.

If you want to have full creative control have a read up on white balance and kelvin and being able to guess the colour temperature of light instead of just leaving it on Auto.

I have my Canon next to me so these are a few options that you might like to look at:

Picture style. Keep this on neutral or faithful if you want to keep your images not overly saturated or contrasty. Maybe experiment with creating your own picture style to something that you like the look of. But in essence it has to shoot with a picture style so you can't turn this setting off. Shooting raw allows you to change this setting (along white balance) in post so don't worry about it too much.

Highlight tone priority you can afford to turn off.

Apart from those two I can't really see any other options for things that creatively change the colour/type of image whilst shooting. Where there others that you were thinking of?

There are so many settings that it seems like they must have a purpose in improving pictures... is that so?

They don't necessarily improve the images but they do make it easier to shoot faster. Your camera is a consumer based camera and there will be plenty of people that are happy to leave it on Auto and let the camera work out the best settings for them. You are a smaller niche of user that is keen to use the camera to it's full capacity. Having these settings turned off won't ruin your pictures it will mean that initially you will have to work a little bit harder to put in all the settings you need. But, given time, you will be able to then more creatively shoot the scenes you see. Something which might have been harder with all the settings turned on.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Beautiful reply! Thank you so much!! :)

Other camera/lens options include:
a) Auto Lighting Optimizer (I disable this in manual) but it has [OFF, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH] settings.
b) Metering mode (I use evaluative, but need to read up on this more)
c) Lens aberration correction: peripheral/chromatic settings (currently I disable these)
d) Red-eye reduction (enable / disable*)
e) Color space (sRGB* vs. Adobe)
f) Long exposure noise reduction (currently OFF, but settings are OFF/Auto/ON)
g) High ISO NR (currently OFF but LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH are settings)

Does shooting in RAW circumvent all of these "fancy" settings?

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
It's good to learn about all these various aspects, but is there any reason you want to shoot in full manual. Aperture or Shutter Priority mode might be a better way to go in terms of having more control of your camera.

RAW allows you to adjust the image in post processing. Search for the thread "Post Processing - before/after" to see some examples.

Good luck with your new camera!

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
It's good to learn about all these various aspects, but is there any reason you want to shoot in full manual. Aperture or Shutter Priority mode might be a better way to go in terms of having more control of your camera.

RAW allows you to adjust the image in post processing. Search for the thread "Post Processing - before/after" to see some examples.

Good luck with your new camera!

I was using Shutter/Aperture priority modes, but it can be frustrating when aperture/shutter settings are not exactly what you want, which was especially the case during non-ideal lighting conditions. Also, my 3rd party flash only shoots in Manual...

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
Not to discourage you from shooting in manual, but keep in mind that you can use different metering modes when the lighting conditions are challenging. For example, with a strongly backlit subject, evaluative metering may try to balance the overall exposure, resulting in underexposure of your subject. Using partial (I think that is the Canon term -- on Nikon, it is "spot") or center-weighted may give you a properly exposed subject (but would result in an over-exposed background, unless you are also using flash and are balancing your flash and ambient).

When you say your flash only works in manual, I assume that means in manual flash mode (as opposed to TTL). It should still work in other shooting modes (i.e., A, S, P, etc.).

In any event, shooting in manual does give you control and makes it easier to achieve repeatable results.

As to your list, metering mode "sort of" affects the RAW file, but I don't believe the others do. They may affect the preview image that you see on the LCD, but not the underlying RAW file (other than that the setting data may be recorded). I say metering mode "sort of" affects the RAW file because it determines the exposure, unless you are shooting in manual. So it ultimately affects what will be recorded, but only to the extent that it changes the shutter speed, aperture, or ISO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.