Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CGB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
I have been using OSX to do a lot of 3d work ever since I got into the hobby. Problem is that I have been using my macbook pro, which I ran into many problems, such as graphics bandwidth, and CPU power.

I was looking forward to purchasing a Mac Pro for awhile, but with E5 xeons even on 500 dollar computers, I felt like it didn't make sense to drop 2k+ on 4 year old westmeres.

I want your opinions on this. I am not using the Mac Pro for work yet, but at a high enthusiast and hobbyist level.

My other option is to purchase the absolute top of the line iMac, with everything maxed out.

I also have the thunderbolt cinema display and pegasus raid system, which I assume will be useless if I get the Mac Pro.

I will be doing rendering and 3d modeling.

Thanks

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Well I think you could use that stuff with the Mac Pro.

Idk, how pressing are your needs? If you can wait, I'd wait for the Pro. It not, go ahead and get the 27inch iMac.

CGB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

If I buy a refurbished mac pro or imac to use right now, can that hard drive that contains the boot and OSX files be taken out and be put into a new mac pro if it comes out, seamlessly ?

I am afraid that some driver issue will not allow this to work.

Thanks

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Thanks for the reply.

If I buy a refurbished mac pro or imac to use right now, can that hard drive that contains the boot and OSX files be taken out and be put into a new mac pro if it comes out, seamlessly ?

Thanks

AFAIK you should be able to do that with a HDD no matter what they do. After all, why create system backups if your entire hardware could get destroyed (so the replacement would be different).

I would lean towards a pro (or using an external drive) if you think you will be changing systems (ok, I would lean towards a pro anyway). With a pro changing a drive is easy. With an iMac changing an internal drive is more effort than it needs to be.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

Hi CGB. Just try to have a backup clone of your boot/OS drive and your work files for safety. So if you encounter issues on compatibility you still have your backup to lean on. I would go for the Mac Pro for 3D work. Just my opinion as I was thinking of expansion and more storage options.

CGB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply, everyone.

Just got myself a refurbished Mac Pro 4,1 with a K5000 and 16g ram for now.

Should be enough until the new mac pro comes out.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply, everyone.

Just got myself a refurbished Mac Pro 4,1 with a K5000 and 16g ram for now.

Should be enough until the new mac pro comes out.

Now buy a cluster of cheap dell towers with good CPUs for network rendering and you'll be good. There's no such thing as too much in 3D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.