Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It wasn't such a pain for me because I only have Malwarebytes and Games installed under Windows. It's a process that can take up to an hour but you don't have to do much. I don't care what I have to do as long as I know that it will solve my issue.

Maybe Winclone would make that process faster and restore the old Windows settings? What I'm not sure about Bootcamp is if you could establish the Windows partition, then instead of installing Windows from a disk, stopping the process (don't know how) and restoring Windows via Winclone- has anyone done this?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Maybe Winclone would make that process faster and restore the old Windows settings? What I'm not sure about Bootcamp is if you could establish the Windows partition, then instead of installing Windows from a disk, stopping the process (don't know how) and restoring Windows via Winclone- has anyone done this?
That's probably not gonna help because you're stopping the Boot Camp process like I always did when installing Windows. I was never sure if the MBP would reboot directly to the Windows installation so I just kept hitting Option all the time. That alone would interrupt the process and it wouldn't work (I tried to format and reinstall Windows a couple of times doing it that way before doing it the way I described on that post and the issues only got solved when I did the latter).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's probably not gonna help because you're stopping the Boot Camp process like I always did when installing Windows. I was never sure if the MBP would reboot directly to the Windows installation so I just kept hitting Option all the time. That alone would interrupt the process and it wouldn't work (I tried to format and reinstall Windows a couple of times doing it that way before doing it the way I described on that post and the issues only got solved when I did the latter).

Were you trying to use Winclone? Once Bootcamp creates the Windows partition, and the windows install process stopped, would there be a viable partition that Winclone could restore a Windows install too, then then would your Mac see it when holding 'Option' on start? Or does Bootcamp have to finish the process by installing drivers before it would officially recognize the Windows partition? Hmm.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Were you trying to use Winclone? Once Bootcamp creates the Windows partition, and the windows install process stopped, would there be a viable partition that Winclone could restore a Windows install too, then then would your Mac see it when holding 'Option' on start? Or does Bootcamp have to finish the process by installing drivers before it would officially recognize the Windows partition? Hmm.
That's what I'm trying to tell you. You may just wait for Boot Camp to create the partition and that's it. Then you may just turn on your Mac and hold the Option key. The partition will be there and you may use it to install Windows but the process itself would be interrupted.

To be clear. I had Windows installed and wanted to format the partition and reinstall. So I created the USB stick with the Windows ISO (using Boot Camp) but then manually restarted, hold the Option key, chose the USB stick to boot up and installed (after formatting) on the already existant partition. Did that 2 or 3 times with different Windows versions. Only when I did what I report on the other post, the problems stopped. That is why I don't think Winclone would help.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's what I'm trying to tell you. You may just wait for Boot Camp to create the partition and that's it. Then you may just turn on your Mac and hold the Option key. The partition will be there and you may use it to install Windows but the process itself would be interrupted.

To be clear. I had Windows installed and wanted to format the partition and reinstall. So I created the USB stick with the Windows ISO (using Boot Camp) but then manually restarted, hold the Option key, chose the USB stick to boot up and installed (after formatting) on the already existant partition. Did that 2 or 3 times with different Windows versions. Only when I did what I report on the other post, the problems stopped. That is why I don't think Winclone would help.

This is not ment to be argumentative, but the purpose of Winclone is to restore a Windows partition. Of course you need a backup created. So if the goal is to recreate the Bootcamp partition, unless there is something I'm not understanding, and I've not tried it, but after Bootcamp creates the partition, if you have a Winclone copy of your Windows partition, I don't know why you could not reinstall Windows with your programs, preferences, and settings intact using Winclone? My question is what was causing this heating problem, and how does a reinstall of the bootcamp partition fix it, and is the source of the issue, the partition or something in the Windows install? If it is the Windows install, then using Winclone, might not resolve it.

Last edited:

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
This is not ment to be argumentative, but the purpose of Winclone is to restore a Windows partition. Of course you need a backup created. So if the goal is to recreate the Bootcamp partition, unless there is something I'm not understanding, and I've not tried it, but after Bootcamp creates the partition, if you have a Winclone copy of your Windows partition, I don't know why you could not reinstall Windows with your programs, preferences, and settings intact using Winclone? My question is what was causing this heating problem, and how does a reinstall of the bootcamp partition fix it, and is the source of the issue, the partition or something in the Windows install? If it is the Windows install, then using Winclone, might not resolve it.
Let's try this again.

I used 2 different ISOs. Windows 8 and 7. I started having issues after I installed the new Boot Camp drivers on top of the old ones. I tried a lot of things including reinstalling Windows more than once.

The partition was already there.
I created the install disc (USB stick) with Boot Camp
Rebooted MBP
Hold Option
Selected the USB stick
Formatted the already existant Windows partition
Installed

Issue still there.

Tried again with Windows 7. Same.

Tried again with Windows 8. Same.

Tried one last time with Windows 7. Same.

One thing I hate is when a machine gets the best of me so I wanted to try one more time.

I decided to use Boot Camp to remove the Windows partition, created a Windows 8 install disc again (using the same ISO as before).
Redownloaded the drivers to the same USB stick as the ISO
Instead of rebooting and holding the Option key, I just told Boot Camp to start installing after recreating a Windows parition again.

This time, no issues. Same apps, same configurations, same games, same drivers, different method.

Now, how do you want me to tell you that a Winclone image will solve it if I didn't try it? I'm just telling you that, considering my experience, it probably won't help because only a fresh install in a very specific way did the job. And that's it.

If you read the post where I explain it, you'll notice that there's a footnote at the end explaining that probably, the heat issues will still be there but MY problem was gone that way. The thing with my issue was that FPS were high (59/60 FPS running FIFA 13) but the game was choppy. And all games were like this. Even after reinstalling. Only when I reinstalled the way I did the last time, the problem was gone. Why? I don't know. I just know that, for me, it worked.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let's try this again.

I used 2 different ISOs. Windows 8 and 7. I started having issues after I installed the new Boot Camp drivers on top of the old ones. I tried a lot of things including reinstalling Windows more than once.

The partition was already there.
I created the install disc (USB stick) with Boot Camp
Rebooted MBP
Hold Option
Selected the USB stick
Formatted the already existant Windows partition
Installed

Issue still there.

Tried again with Windows 7. Same.

Tried again with Windows 8. Same.

Tried one last time with Windows 7. Same.

One thing I hate is when a machine gets the best of me so I wanted to try one more time.

I decided to use Boot Camp to remove the Windows partition, created a Windows 8 install disc again (using the same ISO as before).
Redownloaded the drivers to the same USB stick as the ISO
Instead of rebooting and holding the Option key, I just told Boot Camp to start installing after recreating a Windows parition again.

This time, no issues. Same apps, same configurations, same games, same drivers, different method.

Now, how do you want me to tell you that a Winclone image will solve it if I didn't try it? I'm just telling you that, considering my experience, it probably won't help because only a fresh install in a very specific way did the job. And that's it.

If you read the post where I explain it, you'll notice that there's a footnote at the end explaining that probably, the heat issues will still be there but MY problem was gone that way. The thing with my issue was that FPS were high (59/60 FPS running FIFA 13) but the game was choppy. And all games were like this. Even after reinstalling. Only when I reinstalled the way I did the last time, the problem was gone. Why? I don't know. I just know that, for me, it worked.

Ok, understood. Thanks.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013

Winclone clones your bootcamp partition. Any problems on the old partition will probably be transferred to the new partition.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
A true fix is: Don't use a Retina MacBook for gaming, simple.
Lol, is it really a solution? It's a gaming capable machine with a great CPU and a quite nice GPU. Apple gives us the possibility to run games under OSX or Windows. The rMBP matches the game's requirements. Apple advertised it as being great for gaming. But, because Apple screwed up, we shouldn't use it for gaming? *insert Jackie Chan meme here*

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Lol, is it really a solution? It's a gaming capable machine with a great CPU and a quite nice GPU. Apple gives us the possibility to run games under OSX or Windows. The rMBP matches the game's requirements. Apple advertised it as being great for gaming. But, because Apple screwed up, we shouldn't use it for gaming? *insert Jackie Chan meme here*

You clearly have no idea what a good GPU or CPU is. So, I'm just going to assume you are trolling and ignorant. Also, matching the requirements doesn't mean, flawless 40+ fps at very high resolution with 8x AA.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
You clearly have no idea what a good GPU or CPU is. So, I'm just going to assume you are trolling and ignorant. Also, matching the requirements doesn't mean, flawless 40+ fps at very high resolution with 8x AA.
So, instead of telling me what I said that was wrong, you just insult me. Very nice of you :rolleyes:

Btw, where do people here or anywhere else say that they want 40+ fps at very high resolution with 8x AA? Please show me where. But, I guess that a i7 2.3GHz and a 650M is not enough to play at 15+.. even if we're talking about 2009 games. Apple didn't **** up. The issue is with users that shouldn't be playing games on the rMBPs. Don't know what to say.. really.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Winclone clones your bootcamp partition. Any problems on the old partition will probably be transferred to the new partition.

That is what I was trying to figure out earlier. Winclone copies all the software in the partition including system software, but it does not create the partition. The problem is identifying the source of the overheating issue. Is it in the software or something in establishing the partition?. As I am not a programmer, I have no idea if Winclone would be copying the sorce of the problem or not.

MrTheBigBadMe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Was finally able to reinstall bootcamp (using dastinger's method) and I still get the same, vexing, stupid, incomprehensible results -__________________-

UPDATE:
Temps are back to normal now. Thanks for the help everybody!

Last edited:

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
PLEASE READ THIS AND IF I HAVE ANY GRAMMER MISTAKES PLEASE CORRECT ME! hi guys
i installed tomb raider 2013 last night tomorrow morning i started playing and graphic was chppy motion(5sec)stop(0.3sec) and it happen when i move left or right i lowered resolution to 1920x1200 same results..1600x1200 and 1366x768
higher FPS but choppy stuttering...... my temps are JUST OK MAX 71 MIN 64 AVERAGE 67C CPU TEMP IS AROUNT 67-69C fans blowing hard(L5932 RIGHT FAN 5500) what can i do my drivers are out of date not too old but out of date well this chop chop is every where PES13 INVERSION CRYSIS 3 (OF COURSE THE MOST LAG IVE EVER SEEN!)

IN OUR COUNTRY ACCESING S.E.X SITES AND POLITICAL SITES AND SOME SITES FOR UNKNOWS REASON IS RESTRICTED therefore i cant go to nvidia.com
is there any body who can give me a beta driver link (THE LATEST FOR MBPR)GT650MNOT FROM GEFORCE OR NVIDIA.COM THANKS GUYS!

Ultimawar

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
PLEASE READ THIS AND IF I HAVE ANY GRAMMER MISTAKES PLEASE CORRECT ME! hi guys
i installed tomb raider 2013 last night tomorrow morning i started playing and graphic was chppy motion(5sec)stop(0.3sec) and it happen when i move left or right i lowered resolution to 1920x1200 same results..1600x1200 and 1366x768
higher FPS but choppy stuttering...... my temps are JUST OK MAX 71 MIN 64 AVERAGE 67C CPU TEMP IS AROUNT 67-69C fans blowing hard(L5932 RIGHT FAN 5500) what can i do my drivers are out of date not too old but out of date well this chop chop is every where PES13 INVERSION CRYSIS 3 (OF COURSE THE MOST LAG IVE EVER SEEN!)

IN OUR COUNTRY ACCESING S.E.X SITES AND POLITICAL SITES AND SOME SITES FOR UNKNOWS REASON IS RESTRICTED therefore i cant go to nvidia.com
is there any body who can give me a beta driver link (THE LATEST FOR MBPR)GT650MNOT FROM GEFORCE OR NVIDIA.COM THANKS GUYS!

Dude just use a proxy like anonymouse

Marsh-Man

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Was finally able to reinstall bootcamp (using dastinger's method) and I still get the same, vexing, stupid, incomprehensible results -__________________-

UPDATE:
Temps are back to normal now. Thanks for the help everybody!

So after using dastinger's method, it did actually solve the problem? You didn't have to do anything else?

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
do a Full-reinstall and download bootcamp5.0.33 from support.apple.com
or bootcamp assisstant and no nvidia drivers needed you can play metro last light normal setting with 1920x1200 res with out any noticable lag and temps GPU72C CPU CORES ARE BETWEEN 75-86

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
my NORMALTEMPS WHILE DOING NOTHING OR LIGHT TASKS ON BOOTCAMP
50-60 celcius and fans betwin 2100-3000 and while gaming 5940-5500 RPM
AND TEMPS 72-78c gu and cpu is 87MAXIMUM
\
1-go to bootcamp assisstant click on remove windows and remove it
2-remove windows partition
3-make win partition again
4-install win7
5-install drivers from boot camp but i recommend download from support.apple.com just search "bootcamp 5.0.33 drivers download"
6itwill be really faster than bootcamp assisstant
6copy in to a flash drive and go to windows install drivers on windows
7-reboot
8-if fast-throttleing happened and mac freezed DONT REINSTALL EVERYTHING!

HERES THE GUIDE!
1-turn off mac and stay calm !
2- bootwindows while pressing F8 repeated ly
3-boot into safe mode
4-go to device manager and uninstall/rollback display driver
5-goto bootcamp dirvers folder then graphics drivers and nvidia drivers
6-double click on the setup and install driver
7 reboot and problem will be solved
this guide doesnt damage your mac or make you reinstall all of the drivers

looks like nvidia official driver 306.29 in the bootcmap 5 is good (not EXELLENT)
BUT CAN PLAY any thing on normal setting and resolution 1920x1200

have fun my friends!

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Played BF3 on my retina. That thing may fry an egg after a couple hours of playing time. I don't think it is good for long term usage so I ended up building a gaming rig specifically for games and that cost me less than half my retina cost. Best of both worlds!

Bass Predator Official

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
I got a Macbook Pro late 2013 Refurbished.
See below for the Specs.

Got the windows partition for BF4 and FL studio, OSX for Logic and just because i like it for daily stuff.
I also had the problems on which the MBP runs very hot when playing bf4 on (almost) high settings.. I downloaded Mac's Fan Control. It works really nice.. you have to put the fan trigger on sensor based, and then link the CPU 1 Core to it. Set the temps like this: 45 -> where the fan's RPM starts gaining, and 55 -> where the fans will reach their maximum speed. The MBP will make a lot of noise, but you can play with headphones right...

I also don't play on 1920x1080 settings.. i play 2/3 of that, because otherwise the macbook can't handle it.

But when i attach my external graphics card... It does run a bit cooler.. then i also can play bf4 on ultra on full HD.
I think a temp of around 75 when gaming and fan's are blowing at full speed, is normal for a MBP. I also lifted the back of the laptop a bit so that the air can flow thru the top AND Bottom. This is rather important because it actually makes a difference in heat.

Specs:

CPU: I7-3635QM @ 2,40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
Memory: 16 gb
External Graphics Card: MSI GeForce 970 GTX [CONNECTED THRU THUNDERBOLT]

Cheers from Holland!

BassPredator.

[Visit my soundcloud if you want to hear my music]
www.soundcloud.com/basspredatorofficial/

revenent

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I play Starcraft 2 on my Mac via its Bootcamp.

Yes the fans run at its maximum. It is noisy. It is running hot. But i still game on it for long periods at a single sitting.

In fact, when i go for lunch or dinner, i still leave the game running. Even when i sleep. So fans and everything remain at its peak. No breakdowns whatsoever on my system. Its a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.